Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kernel Oops messages on Raspbian Stretch
05-04-2018, 16:27
Kernel Oops messages on Raspbian Stretch
Hi,

I'm receiving console messages of type "Internal error: Oops: 17 [#1] SMP ARM" when changing tracks on my Linn Akurate Player, no matter if I select a track from the control point (Linn Kazoo) or press 'Next' on the remote. I get no error message when playing continues from one track to the next, however...

Has anyone else seen this?

Involved components are as follows:
Raspberry 3 B+ (changed from Model 3 B)
- Raspbian Stretch (9) version 4.14.30-v7+ (current)
- MinimServer 0.8.5.2 (current)
Linn Akurate DSM
- Davaar 4.62.200 (current)

I'm attaching a sample output.
Thanks for any help!
Regards, Victor

Attached File(s)
.zip  MinimServerKernelOops.txt.zip (Size: 1.4 KB / Downloads: 2)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2018, 20:24
RE: Kernel Oops messages on Raspbian Stretch
This is a Java bug. What version of Java are you using? You can find this information near the start of the MinimServer log.
05-04-2018, 23:27
Java is the current version: 1.8.0_65-b17 (also obtained by 'java -version'). The HotSpot Client is 25.65-b01. Should I downgrade Java?
06-04-2018, 06:56
No, you should upgrade Java. You are on 8u65 and the latest is 8u162 (see this page). The download you need is Linux ARM 32 Hard Float ABI.
06-04-2018, 10:18
Thanks for the quick reply, Simon. Somehow apt-get update was *not* updating my installed oracle-java8-jdk, it was stuck at version 65. After removing and reinstalling, ist was 162.

However, this has not resolved the issue. Neither has installing Oracle Java 8.162 directly from oracle.com. The version is now current, but the Oops messages keep appearing whenever I change tracks from Kazoo or from the remote.

I don't remember seeing this in the past. I have recently exchanged my former Raspberry model 3B with a 3B+ for faster ethernet performance. Could that be the problem, i.e. would a complete reinstall be needed?
06-04-2018, 12:28
My apologies. This is an issue with the Linux kernel, not with Java (see this thread). To fix it, you will need to update your Linux kernel.
06-04-2018, 15:19
Installing Kernel 4.14.32-v7+ (via rpi-update) has resolved the issue. I haven't performed any special tests, but I haven't had any problems with it so far. The raspi runs owncloud (with apache and redis-server), minimserver and twonky, so nothing fancy...

Thanks for your help!
Kind regards, Victor