Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oracle/Java site down
20-03-2018, 00:02
RE: Oracle/Java site down
(19-03-2018 23:04)simoncn Wrote:  Do you have an antivirus program running on the machine? These can sometimes cause strange errors.

I don’t Simon, never had just windows defender, it’s a pretty new machine, HP Pavillion win 10 latest update etc.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2018, 18:50
Some more web searching revealed this post and this post. Following these instructions solved the OP's problem. The Java downloads that are linked are not the latest versions but they should be suitable for running MinimServer. It would be worth a try to see if this succeeds.
20-03-2018, 19:35
(19-03-2018 12:09)Avalon Wrote:  here is the message from oracle after I download minim watch

Avalon

I can't think how this has come about, but what this shows is that .jar files are associated with this Java installer. So, when you try to run minimwatch it is being passed as a parameter to the Java installer. The other error message says that this is an invalid option to the Java installer.

You could try removing/renaming the installer file (c:\users\seanc\downloads\jre-8u151-windows-i586-iftw.exe)

So, what you need to do is to fix the file associations for .jar files. There's a program called jarfix which claims to do this. see https://johann.loefflmann.net/en/softwar...index.html

Unfortunately, there are two levels at which the file associations are normally set a machine wide and a user level version. As far as I can tell, jarfix does machine level by default, and user level with the correct parameter. (I've not used it myself)

try running:

jarfix /u

this shouldn't ask to be elevated. (it's very unlikely that the machine level associations are wrong if you've just reinstalled Java.) If that fixes things you're ok.

However, there is another way of associating files with programs, that windows explorer uses. My best guess is that this is your problem. In effect windows explorer allows each user to associate any type of file with any application. In this way it goes beyond the normal file association rules.

To check run control panel, and type assoc into the search field (careful, it does incremental search as soon as you type the first letter, so you have to keep reselecting at the end of your typing) This should show an option under "File Explorer Options" "change the file type associated with a file extension". Look for .jar

If it shows the java installer, and allows you to change to Java, then you're ok.
20-03-2018, 19:58
I have always found that running jarfix (without /u) fixes this Windows 10 .jar association issue.

Good catch about .jar being associated with the installer!
21-03-2018, 08:11
Ok, thats a bit of work and I appreciate the help. I will get time tonight to try all experiments and i will report back.

Thankyou

Avalon
21-03-2018, 20:04
(20-03-2018 18:50)simoncn Wrote:  Some more web searching revealed this post and this post. Following these instructions solved the OP's problem. The Java downloads that are linked are not the latest versions but they should be suitable for running MinimServer. It would be worth a try to see if this succeeds.

Happy DaysBig GrinBig Grin

Thanks Simon and Sceptic mike......
It was only after I downloaded the Jarfix program that Minimwatch loaded and ran.

The big question...Do I update to latest java when asked?

I am using 66, and I think latest is 161.

I nearly gave up, thanks for persevering with me and providing me with the information.

Avalon
21-03-2018, 20:45
It is better to be on the latest version of Java because this contains security fixes. I suggest you try updating to 161. If this doesn't work, run Jarfix again.
29-10-2020, 02:33
Really sorry to necro this thread but this exact problem was happening to me for the last few days when trying to update Java on my NAS. I Googled it and found this thread.
I was using Firefox, my ISP is Zen internet in the UK. Out of curiosity I tried Opera browser that I have set up to use their VPN, set somewhere to Europe, Netherlands I think, and the webpage worked perfectly and I could download the file. No idea what causes the site to block users like that but anyway, problem sorted with minimum hassle.