Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transcode on NAS?
17-10-2013, 13:58
RE: Transcode on NAS?
(17-10-2013 13:54)uk75 Wrote:  I think it also was related to an old hub in-between, Netgear d104... it is only capable of 10/100, which may be too little (even though the Devolo "in front of it" is only a 150 AV)

Does this mean the problem is solved now?

I understand why a slow or malfunctioning hub would cause dropouts, but I don't understand why this would create 100% CPU peaks on the NAS.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2013, 14:04
I don't know yet. But it looks good for now. I found out by trying to play back a song uncompressed (using Synology's Media server) - that got stuck as well. Looks like my network in general is only good for about 12 MB/sec, so roughly 10MB/s for highest resolution PCM is quite challenging ... DSD obviously was a good idea on Sony's behalf to keep data low compared to PCM..
17-10-2013, 14:58 (This post was last modified: 17-10-2013 14:59 by simoncn.)
(17-10-2013 14:04)uk75 Wrote:  I don't know yet. But it looks good for now. I found out by trying to play back a song uncompressed (using Synology's Media server) - that got stuck as well. Looks like my network in general is only good for about 12 MB/sec, so roughly 10MB/s for highest resolution PCM is quite challenging ... DSD obviously was a good idea on Sony's behalf to keep data low compared to PCM..

I think you mean 10 Mb/s (megabits/sec) not 10 MB/s (megabytes/sec).

I'm running my LAN backbone on a gigabit switch. My Linn DS is connected to this switch via a dedicated 802.11n 5 GHz wireless bridge because the topology of my house makes it impractical to use an Ethernet cable. With careful positioning of the bridge transmitter and receiver, this setup can handle a 10 Mb/s stream with only very occasional dropouts.
18-10-2013, 12:10
The "bridge" in my case is a devolo av 150 adapter. Plugged directly into that, the strem runs fine. With the Netgear in between to cater the DLNA TV I get dropouts every 3 seconds Angry
18-10-2013, 13:28
(18-10-2013 12:10)uk75 Wrote:  The "bridge" in my case is a devolo av 150 adapter. Plugged directly into that, the strem runs fine. With the Netgear in between to cater the DLNA TV I get dropouts every 3 seconds Angry

If your hub is this one, it's limited to 10 Mb/s, which is too slow to handle a hi-res audio stream.
03-11-2013, 15:46 (This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 15:48 by Oroperplex.)
One question about flac format and embedded cover jpegs. I am not a engineer. My flac tracks have embedded cover jpegs inside (named folder.jpeg), also the cover resides in the album folder.
My non engineer imagination has a question in mind, if it´s better to delete the cover out of the flac tracks, because these extra kb`s where copied into the streamer buffer.
My Minim config is WAV24, so the track is copied as wav into my Linn Akurate. Is the cover also in the Linn buffer or is it elimated before the track is copied into the Linn buffer ?

At all: Is it better to delete the folder.jpg out of the flacs and only hold it in the album folder ?
03-11-2013, 16:10
(03-11-2013 15:46)Oroperplex Wrote:  One question about flac format and embedded cover jpegs. I am not a engineer. My flac tracks have embedded cover jpegs inside (named folder.jpeg), also the cover resides in the album folder.
My non engineer imagination has a question in mind, if it´s better to delete the cover out of the flac tracks, because these extra kb`s where copied into the streamer buffer.
My Minim config is WAV24, so the track is copied as wav into my Linn Akurate. Is the cover also in the Linn buffer or is it elimated before the track is copied into the Linn buffer ?

At all: Is it better to delete the folder.jpg out of the flacs and only hold it in the album folder ?

If you are not transcoding in MinimServer, the images will be downloaded by the renderer (streamer), but they will not take space in the renderer's audio buffer. The renderer will just skip and discard the extra data. The extra downloading should not be significant unless you have a very slow connection, a very large cover art image, or a very low-powered renderer.

If you are transcoding to wav or wav24 in MinimServer, any embedded album art in the original FLAC files will not be sent to the renderer.

My personal preference is to keep these images with the tracks, because it makes the tracks fully self-contained. Some people prefer to save the space by deleting them from the tracks. It comes down to your own personal preference for which approach to choose.