Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Problems with multi-disc sets
21-02-2018, 17:23
Problems with multi-disc sets
Hi,

I have a couple of problems with how multi-disc sets are showing up on my Minim Server and was hoping for some help.

To clarify, I use Metadatics for all my music files. For multi-disc sets, I always use the disc number option (e.g. 1 of 2, 2 of 2, etc). I don't change the album name for each disc as I don't like that, instead I insert the disc number followed by the track number on each file, so they look like this:

1-01
1-02
1-03
2-01
2-02
and so on.

The first few discs I set up on Minimserver show up as below. I've used Ray Charles' Greatest Hits as an example. After I select the album, it shows up as follows:

>>1
What's I Say
Georgia On My Mind
(etc)
>>2
Busted
Without Love

Unlike single disc albums, each track appears separately (without a track number) and if I select one, it only plays that track. To play the whole disc, I have to select either '>>1' or '>>2' and then press the album title again followed by another screen. It works but it seems like a lot of screens to get to where I want.

I've just added a new multi-disc set and without changing any of the settings, it shows up differently. I've checked the metadata and there are no differences to the other albums I've added. Now when I select the album (Decade by Neil Young) the screen looks like this:

01 >>1
02 Down To The Wire
03 Burned
(etc)
17 Helpless
18 >>2
19 Ohio
20 Soldier

Whichever track I select, it loads up all 35 tracks. However, when I select '01 >>1' it starts with the track 'Down To The Wire', when I select '17 Helpless' it starts with 'Ohio'. All very strange.

What I'd like to see is the following. When I select the album, it loads up a screen with just '>>1' and '>>2'. Then I select the disc number and it then loads up a new screen which looks like any other album with all the track numbers. Any help to achieve this (or a suitable compromise) would be really appreciated! Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2018, 18:16
RE: Problems with multi-disc sets
Which control point and renderer are you using?
21-02-2018, 18:53
(21-02-2018 18:16)simoncn Wrote:  Which control point and renderer are you using?

I'm using UPnP through the Naim App. Not sure if that answers your question.
21-02-2018, 22:18
This problem is specific to the Naim app. When you select "17 Helpless" ithe app starts playing at the seventeenth track (not including the >>1 and >>2 lines) and this track happens to be "19 Ohio".

I think there is close to zero chance that Naim will fix this, so the approach that you have suggested seems to be the only solution. This would need a new option to control which display format is used.

I am not sure why your other multidisc albums such as Ray Charles' Greatest Hits don't show track numbers and don't have the same problem.
22-02-2018, 09:44
(21-02-2018 22:18)simoncn Wrote:  This problem is specific to the Naim app. When you select "17 Helpless" ithe app starts playing at the seventeenth track (not including the >>1 and >>2 lines) and this track happens to be "19 Ohio".

I think there is close to zero chance that Naim will fix this, so the approach that you have suggested seems to be the only solution. This would need a new option to control which display format is used.

I am not sure why your other multidisc albums such as Ray Charles' Greatest Hits don't show track numbers and don't have the same problem.

Thanks for your reply. Is it not possible to be able to select an album which then brings up a screen with options like 'Disc 1', 'Disc 2', etc? If not, is there another way I can distinguish between tracks on disc 1 and tracks on disc 2 when viewed on the app? I actually label my track names with the disc number at the start followed by the track number (e.g. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc) so that I can see them in the correct order on a computer. Having it like that on the app would be preferable to me.
22-02-2018, 09:57
If the track title (not filename) starts with 1.1 or 1.2, this is how it should appear in the Naim app. Are you seeing this?
22-02-2018, 10:21
(22-02-2018 09:57)simoncn Wrote:  If the track title (not filename) starts with 1.1 or 1.2, this is how it should appear in the Naim app. Are you seeing this?

No, the track title I use is just that. The filenames start with 1.1., 1.2, etc. I should add that track numbers appear on the Naim App for all single disc titles so I wouldn't want to mess with that. Are you saying that I would have to change the track titles for all multi-disc sets for it to work? I suppose I could do this as I don't have an enormous number.
22-02-2018, 17:19
You could use the tagFormat property to add the 1.1, 1.2 etc. numbers to the display in the Naim app without changing the tags in your files. The only problem with this is that the track numbers would appear for albums with a single disc as well as albums with multiple discs. You can try this by setting tagFormat to:

Title.displayFormat={$discnumber^^.^$tracknumber^^ ^$title}

and restarting MinimServer.

To my great surprise, the display in the Naim app has changed for me today from the 01 >>1 format (that doesn't work) to the >>1 format (that works). I am not sure what has caused this. I had a lot of trouble getting the Naim app to see my library, so I cleared the UPnP cache, then enabled UPnP compatibility mode, then disabled UPnP compatibility mode. You could try this to see if you get the working >>1 display.
22-02-2018, 23:49
(22-02-2018 17:19)simoncn Wrote:  You could use the tagFormat property to add the 1.1, 1.2 etc. numbers to the display in the Naim app without changing the tags in your files. The only problem with this is that the track numbers would appear for albums with a single disc as well as albums with multiple discs. You can try this by setting tagFormat to:

Title.displayFormat={$discnumber^^.^$tracknumber^^ ^$title}

and restarting MinimServer.

To my great surprise, the display in the Naim app has changed for me today from the 01 >>1 format (that doesn't work) to the >>1 format (that works). I am not sure what has caused this. I had a lot of trouble getting the Naim app to see my library, so I cleared the UPnP cache, then enabled UPnP compatibility mode, then disabled UPnP compatibility mode. You could try this to see if you get the working >>1 display.

When I put that setting for tagFormat in MinimWatch and rescan, I get an error message saying 'incorrect tag name 'track number' in option 'Title.displayFormat' in property 'tagFormat'. What am I doing wrong?
23-02-2018, 00:01
Simon, I followed your instructions about clearing the UPnP cache, enabling and disabling the UPnP compatibility mode and now Neil Young's Decade album shows like all my other multi-disc sets, with the >>1 format.