Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
function : read the pdf file ...
19-01-2015, 08:09
function : read the pdf file ...
Dear all

as a recent fan of minimserver, tell me if my post is not correct.

I have tested servers and control points with my synology server, and found the combination minimserver plus lumin the best so far.

However, there is a function which I would dream of : whenever there is a pdf file along with audio files in directory (this is the case with qobuz, which often offers you this with downloading the music), to be able to read it on my computer / iphone / ipad / whatever app & device I use as a control point. Have a button in Lumin / Bubble / Kazoo etc.. to open and browse the pdf, as if I was reading the booklet of my CD :-)

Of course, it means that the server is able to send the file, even though it is not streaming (I never acces my synology files directly on my network, to avoid all extra files that Mac OSX on windowd add).

Is this something feasible ? Does it exist already ?

Thanks for the answer
Best
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2015, 10:35
RE: function : read the pdf file ...
(19-01-2015 08:09)lyapounov Wrote:  Dear all

as a recent fan of minimserver, tell me if my post is not correct.

I have tested servers and control points with my synology server, and found the combination minimserver plus lumin the best so far.

However, there is a function which I would dream of : whenever there is a pdf file along with audio files in directory (this is the case with qobuz, which often offers you this with downloading the music), to be able to read it on my computer / iphone / ipad / whatever app & device I use as a control point. Have a button in Lumin / Bubble / Kazoo etc.. to open and browse the pdf, as if I was reading the booklet of my CD :-)

Of course, it means that the server is able to send the file, even though it is not streaming (I never acces my synology files directly on my network, to avoid all extra files that Mac OSX on windowd add).

Is this something feasible ? Does it exist already ?

Thanks for the answer
Best

For a discussion of this, see this post and subsequent discussion on the same thread. This capability isn't part of the UPnP standard and you will need find some other way to view these booklets on your control point device.
19-01-2015, 17:18
It's a little clunky, but the best solution I've found so far if you use an ipad as a control point, is to store the pdf in the album folder on the NAS and then use an app like FileBrowser to browse to the files on the NAS to open the pdf. Of course it means going to another app, but it's easy enough to switch back and forth between FileBrowser and Kazoo.
19-01-2015, 17:36
@simon thx for the answer. in this thread, you wrote :
Quote:The only way to include PDF files in the UPnP AV container would befor MinimServer to scan for PDF files in the folder and send these to the control point as the UPnP AV "textItem" type. I don't think there are currently any control points that can display such items"

Isn'it a chicken and egg issue ? If you make this happen, just browsing for pdf file in the same directory (same logic as browsing for cover.jpg) then you implement this function, tell publicly you will do it, and good control points will integrate this feature in their road map ? Or is it more complex ?

@antonmb thx also. Actually, I don't access my file on the NAS directly. I always use an app like Transmit or Cybertduck which allows me to connect only via SSH.
19-01-2015, 18:05
(19-01-2015 17:36)lyapounov Wrote:  Isn'it a chicken and egg issue ? If you make this happen, just browsing for pdf file in the same directory (same logic as browsing for cover.jpg) then you implement this function, tell publicly you will do it, and good control points will integrate this feature in their road map ? Or is it more complex ?

Yes, it is more complex. There is a UPnP standard way to transmit album art images in JPG and PNG format to the control point and associate these images with audio files and albums. There is no UPnP standard way to transmit PDF files and associate them with audio files and albums. The UPnP specification doesn't define what can be sent as a textItem and there is no standard way to associate a textItem with an audio file or album.