Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to use Groups
12-01-2018, 22:42
How to use Groups
I have been using Minimserver for the past three weeks, and find it works very well for searching my collection of mainly classical music and has a good interface with the Naim app. as controller. I have many albums containing seeveral works by the same composer and with the same genre. I read from the user guide that the movements for each work can be grouped together using Groups and I would like to do this. Unfortunately I have not been able to find the information I think I need .

I have three questions:

1. Can I use Mp3tag to set the group tag?
2. Could the tag be simply a number associated with the musical work? For example, could the numbers 5 and 6 for movements in a fifth and sixth symphony respectively?
3. Which field in Properties is used to activate and control the use of the Group tag, and what information should be written into the field?

I apologize asking these what are no doubt elementary questions but would very much appreciate guidance on using groups
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2018, 23:52 (This post was last modified: 12-01-2018 23:53 by simoncn.)
RE: How to use Groups
You can set the GROUP tag using Mp3tag (use View > Extended Tags > Add field to enter any tag name).

The value of the GROUP tag should be something meaningful that identifies the grouped work, as you will see this value when you select and play the grouped work.

MinimServer needs no property settings to enable processing of GROUP tags. You just need to rescan the library after adding or changing GROUP tags.
13-01-2018, 13:57
(12-01-2018 23:52)simoncn Wrote:  You can set the GROUP tag using Mp3tag (use View > Extended Tags > Add field to enter any tag name).

The value of the GROUP tag should be something meaningful that identifies the grouped work, as you will see this value when you select and play the grouped work.

MinimServer needs no property settings to enable processing of GROUP tags. You just need to rescan the library after adding or changing GROUP tags.

Thank you very much. This was exactly what I needed to know. Groups works just as I hoped it would.
13-01-2018, 14:35
To add to Simon's response, if you are using Groups regularly, it makes sense to include the Group tag in the Mp3Tag Tag Panel, where it is more readily accessible than in the Extended Tags dialog. You can do this through the menu selection Tools > Options > Tag panel, which allows you to insert, edit and remove tag entries and change their position on the panel.

David
19-02-2018, 10:34
How is GROUP different from CONTENTGROUP, which I understand is like a "supertitle" higher-level title than the normal TITLE (CONTENTGROUP = TIT1, TITLE = TIT2 in ID3 frames)?
19-02-2018, 11:37
CONTENTGROUP has no specific meaning and has traditionally been used in iTunes for various purposes. This could be identifying the work to which a track belongs or it could be some other form of grouping, similar to Genre.

When designing MinimServer support for grouped works, I decided not to use CONTENTGROUP for this purpose because some users might be using this tag for another purpose. I thought it would be safer to create a new tag and I chose GROUP as the name of this this new tag.

Also, GROUP has some restrictions on where/how it can be used and CONTENTGROUP doesn't have any restrictions. This is another reason for not using CONTENTGROUP for MinimServer grouping .

There is no problem in having CONTENTGROUP and GROUP tags set to identical values if you want to use both of these. Another possibility is to tag one of these and use the "default" option of the tagValue property to set the other.
22-02-2018, 14:48 (This post was last modified: 22-02-2018 15:48 by paultaylor.)
FWIW CONTENTGROUP is now used by iTunes to represent a Work in ID3 tagging formats, but this tag is more usually used to show genre based groupings (such as a way to store multiple genres for a song). CONTENTGROUP is NOT used by iTunes used to represent a work in MP4 and other formats, these have their own new fields.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-02-2018, 16:50
I found a post here that says that iTunes is now using TIT1 in ID3v2 for Work titles and a new frame GRP1 for Grouping. I will do some experiments to confirm this and decide whether any change to MinimServer is needed.
22-02-2018, 20:15
(22-02-2018 16:50)simoncn Wrote:  I found a post here that says that iTunes is now using TIT1 in ID3v2 for Work titles and a new frame GRP1 for Grouping. I will do some experiments to confirm this and decide whether any change to MinimServer is needed.
This is correct, see http://blog.jthink.net/2016/12/itunes-ad...d-but.html

But in IMO I dont see any changes needed in MinimSever because of this rather ill-thought out change to iTunes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-02-2018, 14:19
(22-02-2018 20:15)paultaylor Wrote:  
(22-02-2018 16:50)simoncn Wrote:  I found a post here that says that iTunes is now using TIT1 in ID3v2 for Work titles and a new frame GRP1 for Grouping. I will do some experiments to confirm this and decide whether any change to MinimServer is needed.
This is correct, see http://blog.jthink.net/2016/12/itunes-ad...d-but.html

But in IMO I dont see any changes needed in MinimSever because of this rather ill-thought out change to iTunes.
I disagree, as it's pretty clear in the spec what TIT1 is for. People using it for genre groupings are just abusing the spec. It's right there in the identifier: it's supposed to be the first-level title or 'super-title'.