Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to use Groups
27-02-2018, 12:38
RE: How to use Groups
(26-02-2018 14:19)dukdukgoos Wrote:  I disagree, as it's pretty clear in the spec what TIT1 is for. People using it for genre groupings are just abusing the spec. It's right there in the identifier: it's supposed to be the first-level title or 'super-title'.
The ID3 specification says:

TIT1:The 'Content group description' frame is used if the sound belongs to a larger category of sounds/music. For example, classical music is often sorted in different musical sections (e.g. "Piano Concerto", "Weather - Hurricane").

Now, certainly it implies it could be something like a Work but for the past twenty years it has mostly been used for something else, you cant just turn back time. iTunes itself has a Grouping field that used to map to TIT1 which has been used to group tracks but not to group them to a work. So there are two different types of grouping required, a specific Classical based Work (1) and a more general group as required (2). Since most applications use TIT1 for (2) it would make more sense for iTunes to create a new ID3 field for Work (1) rather than change the use of TIT1 and introduce a new field for (2).

Following iTunes approach now breaks compatability with many other tools. But since MinimServer uses it own field anyway (GROUP) I dont see it has to do anything.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2018, 18:50
At the very least, MinimServer should map the new GRP1 frame to CONTENTGROUP for users of the latest version of iTunes.

There is also the possibility of enabling MinimServer to map TIT1 to WORK for these users. It should be possible for MinimServer to map TIT1 to WORK for files that iTunes has tagged with work and movement and map TIT1 to CONTENTGROUP in other cases.
Find all posts by this user
16-11-2019, 14:52
(12-01-2018 23:52)simoncn Wrote:  You can set the GROUP tag using Mp3tag (use View > Extended Tags > Add field to enter any tag name).

The value of the GROUP tag should be something meaningful that identifies the grouped work, as you will see this value when you select and play the grouped work.

MinimServer needs no property settings to enable processing of GROUP tags. You just need to rescan the library after adding or changing GROUP tags.

I have a question regarding the group tag as well. I have experimented with 2 tracks. I added a GROUP tag to 2 songs that feature Sonny Landreth. I added the GROUP tag to the index, and rescanned my library. A Group folder appears and the 2 tracks I tagged with Sonny Landreth showed up. Before I go and add more of these tags, is this the way you intended the GROUP tag to operate? With the GROUP tag empty, I get a folder with all items without a group tag as well. Is there a way to eliminate this action from taking place? Thanks...
16-11-2019, 15:16
The GROUP tag is not intended to be used for indexing. It is used to change the way that browsing results are presented,. It combines related consecutive tracks into a single browsable item (or example, the four movements of a symphony). I think you have some other purpose in mind (perhaps similar to Grouping in iTunes) but I'm not entirely clear about what you want to accomplish. Can you post a more detailed explanation?
16-11-2019, 15:26
(16-11-2019 15:16)simoncn Wrote:  The GROUP tag is not intended to be used for indexing. It is used to change the way that browsing results are presented,. It combines related consecutive tracks into a single browsable item (or example, the four movements of a symphony). I think you have some other purpose in mind (perhaps similar to Grouping in iTunes) but I'm not entirely clear about what you want to accomplish. Can you post a more detailed explanation?

Here's my intent; my collection consists mainly of blues, rock, country and some jazz. The Sonny Landreth example is a way for me to give a quick listen to some of my favorite songs by a particular artist. In this example, Sonny appears on several of my favorites, but there are a multitude of other artists I like that appear as featured artists of tracks not made by them. In other words, it would be a quick way to have a set of music by the artist that appears as a guest musician playing on others albums. Hope my intent is clearer. Similar to a play list...
16-11-2019, 17:31
Thanks for explaining this. I suggest you use some other tag such as Favourites to tag these featured artist names and add this tag to indexTags. This is what you have tried with GROUP but it is better to avoid using the GROUP tag because of its special meaning with MinimServer.
17-11-2019, 13:55
(16-11-2019 17:31)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for explaining this. I suggest you use some other tag such as Favourites to tag these featured artist names and add this tag to indexTags. This is what you have tried with GROUP but it is better to avoid using the GROUP tag because of its special meaning with MinimServer.

OK Simon, thanks for your input. I will experiment with another field like FAVORITE...