Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Melco using mounted NAS share
10-12-2017, 20:03
Melco using mounted NAS share
Hi,
is it possible to mount a share to the Melco (with Minim on it)?
I want to use the melco with Minim, but I need to use the files from a share from my NAS, because of several causes, e.g. because of my very large libary, because of using ConvoFS.net for room correction,...

If possible, how can I do it?

Regards Jürgen
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2017, 20:43
RE: Melco using mounted NAS share
I don't know of any way to mount a remote network shared folder on a Melco N1 and make it accessible. You could ask Melco about this.
11-12-2017, 02:46
(10-12-2017 20:03)9dIe2Hd0VGy3Pw0zYPYs Wrote:  Hi,
I want to use the melco with Minim, but I need to use the files from a share from my NAS, because of several causes, e.g. because of my very large libary, because of using ConvoFS.net for room correction,...

Regards Jürgen

Hi Jürgen

owing to you I discover ConvoFS

A question : is it a replacement of minimstreamer ? I personnaly transcode flac in wav24:192 using ffmpeg with soax lib, precision at 33 and Chebyshev filters.

Thx

Serge
11-12-2017, 18:53
(10-12-2017 20:03)9dIe2Hd0VGy3Pw0zYPYs Wrote:  Hi,

Regards Jürgen

I hadn't hear of this either so I took a look at their web site. I have copied two answers in the Q&A below

So are you running one of the supported Synology models?
When running ConvoFS I would assume you enter "the location of your music collection" as the first location, this would be the one you currently have in MinimServer contentDir.
The second location for ConvoFS would be where you want the virtual file system to appear on the Synology. This would become the new contentDir in MinimServer.
Is this what you have done?
I don't have Synology so cannot try this out.

So if you have your music files on a Melco, my guess is you cannot run ConvoFS on the Melco.
If you have a Synology can you map/access the music files on the Melco - I don't know. But even if you can this rather defeats the purpose of the Melco which is to directly connect to a renderer/DAC via the ethernet or USB player output.

What is ConvoFS?
ConvoFS is a “convolving file system” - a special-purpose filesystem sitting in between your music collection and media server/music renderer. When you install it, you specify the location of your music collection and an additional location. ConvoFS presents a virtual version of your music collection under the second location. You will see the same folders and files as expected, but the apparent FLAC file sizes will be larger. When you access one of those virtual FLAC files, ConvoFS behind the scenes builds a convolved copy which is read. You can specify the virtual location as the base folder for your music server, be it Minim server, LMS etc. What you hear in your speakers is the DRC processed version of your music. You can also export the ConvoFS mount as a network (“SMB”) share actually turning your NAS/Linux box into a convolving appliance. ConvoFS does not and cannot ever support Dirac. Also, being file system oriented, it cannot be used for streaming services like e.g. Tidal.

What do I need to run ConvoFS?
You need either a Synology Intel (e.g. Atom/Celeron) based, 64 bit NAS or a Linux computer. The Linux computer should preferably run Ubuntu or another Debian based Linux flavor. ConvoFS supports Synology 6.x and may still work under 5.x. Synology NAS devices with known success stories include DS713+, DS1813+, DS716+, DS415+, and DS216+. As for Ubuntu, ConvoFS has been tested with Ubuntu 16.04, but other releases will probably work. DSD upsampling requires quite some computing power, I’ve tested DSD256 upsampling successfully on an Intel dual-core 3GHz i5 machine with playback on an AURALiC Aries Mini streamer.

Peter
QNAP 559 ProII, Melco N1ZH, MinimServer, Linn, Lumin & Kazoo
08-02-2018, 00:55
Hi,

I have ConvoFS on my Synology and I have a very large music libary.
What I want is "just" mount the share of my Synology to the melco.
This should be able if the minim scripts for melco can be used.
But I'm not expierienced enough to change the scripts.
I can find out the right syntax for mounting the share, but not the right place and syntax in minim scripts.

I use ffmpeg on my Synology for transcoding, I can't do this on my melco as well,
because I can not compile me a own package for the Melco.

ConvoFS can do room corrections, there is a feature called "local correction", phase invertion, MS Decoding,...
All settings can be stored to every folder, for example different settings for phase inverition.

Jürgen
08-02-2018, 05:28
(08-02-2018 00:55)9dIe2Hd0VGy3Pw0zYPYs Wrote:  I use ffmpeg on my Synology for transcoding, I can't do this on my melco as well,
because I can not compile me a own package for the Melco.

If getting ffmpeg on your Melco would solve your issue, then see this thread. I used this to get ffmpeg on my Melco and it works fine.

http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthr...365&page=7

Peter
QNAP 559 ProII, Melco N1ZH, MinimServer, Linn, Lumin & Kazoo
08-02-2018, 11:33 (This post was last modified: 08-02-2018 11:34 by simoncn.)
I don't know of any way to mount a share from a Synology NAS on the Melco. How are you doing this?
08-02-2018, 11:51
(08-02-2018 05:28)Peter@57m Wrote:  If getting ffmpeg on your Melco would solve your issue, then see this thread. I used this to get ffmpeg on my Melco and it works fine.

http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthr...365&page=7

I have updated the Melco installation page to include a link to John Van Sickle's FFmpeg download page.
08-02-2018, 18:40
Thanks,

I installed ffmpeg on my melco and it works!
But, there is no soxr or swr for resampling.
This means, that my Synology sounds better than Melco,
because I use the resampling and wave output option and
resampling is not working on Melco so far.

Jürgen
09-02-2018, 16:16
I tried this (resampling to 192/24 using soxr on the Melco) and it is working for me. What settings you you have for stream.converter, stream.options and stream.transcode?