Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems playing mp4 and aif files
02-01-2013, 13:59
Problems playing mp4 and aif files
Simon,
I set up Minimserver last night on a QNAP ts-212 (ARM). I followed your instructions carefully, setting up Java first, and everything seemed to be set up fine. I also set up Minimwatch on my mac and was allow to tweak settings. I like the flexibility of the views and ability to tweak, especially after grappling with Twonky's inability to let me edit trees easily (rescued only by 'Brian' via Linn forum).

I am streaming to a Naim Uniqute 24/96. Flac and wav work but mp4 (compressed) and aif do not play (the stream just stops). My naim will not stream ALAC (mp4 lossless). Nothing is written to the Minimserver log and the naim just displays 'cannot play'.
mp4 and aif do stream successfully via Twonky.
I have tried the same track as mp4, aif, FLAC and mp3 and only the FLAC and mp3 play.

I can't see anything in the forums so I am unsure whether this is a bug, Apple, naim, the QNAP or me! But as Twonky plays aif and mp4, perhaps it is something to do with Minimserver or my Java set up (I have tried both Java 7 and 6)

Thanks for any help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2013, 17:15 (This post was last modified: 02-01-2013 17:17 by simoncn.)
RE: Problems playing mp4 and aif files
(02-01-2013 13:59)The Pied Piper Wrote:  Simon,
I set up Minimserver last night on a QNAP ts-212 (ARM). I followed your instructions carefully, setting up Java first, and everything seemed to be set up fine. I also set up Minimwatch on my mac and was allow to tweak settings. I like the flexibility of the views and ability to tweak, especially after grappling with Twonky's inability to let me edit trees easily (rescued only by 'Brian' via Linn forum).

I am streaming to a Naim Uniqute 24/96. Flac and wav work but mp4 (compressed) and aif do not play (the stream just stops). My naim will not stream ALAC (mp4 lossless). Nothing is written to the Minimserver log and the naim just displays 'cannot play'.
I have tried the same track as mp4, aif, FLAC and mp3 and only the FLAC and mp3 play.

I can't see anything in the forums so I am unsure whether this is a bug, Apple, naim, the QNAP or me! But as Twonky plays aif and mp4, perhaps it is something to do with Minimserver or my Java set up (I have tried both Java 7 and 6)

Thanks for any help.

This isn't related to Java.

There was a similar problem reported for mp4 files some time ago (see this post). However, the extra DLNA parameters mentioned in that post are added by Twonky for mp4 files but not for aif files. The information sent by Twonky and MinimServer for aif files seems to be identical.

I did some web searching about the Unitiqute and aif files, and it appears that the 24/96 Unitiqute can only play aif files if they are transcoded to WAV by the server (see this post). If you have aif files playing OK from Twonky, then Twonky is probably doing this transcoding.

MinimServer is currently unable to transcode aif files to WAV. I'm considering adding support for this in a future release.

I'll send you a PM about the mp4 issue.

Edit: You seem to have PMs disabled in your forum settings. Please send me a PM and I'll respond.
02-01-2013, 19:13
(02-01-2013 17:15)simoncn Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 13:59)The Pied Piper Wrote:  Simon,

Thanks for any help.

This isn't related to Java.

There was a similar problem reported for mp4 files some time ago (see this post). However, the extra DLNA parameters mentioned in that post are added by Twonky for mp4 files but not for aif files. The information sent by Twonky and MinimServer for aif files seems to be identical.

I did some web searching about the Unitiqute and aif files, and it appears that the 24/96 Unitiqute can only play aif files if they are transcoded to WAV by the server (see this post). If you have aif files playing OK from Twonky, then Twonky is probably doing this transcoding.

MinimServer is currently unable to transcode aif files to WAV. I'm considering adding support for this in a future release.

I'll send you a PM about the mp4 issue.

Edit: You seem to have PMs disabled in your forum settings. Please send me a PM and I'll respond.

Simon,

Thanks for the research and quick reply. I have changed my profile (I think!).
Very interesting link. I have tried repeating the '1st track plays' scenario with m4a (aac) but I can't get it to play. The naim display just states 'Unsupported file format'. But the naim plays the same m4a (aac) files streamed from Twonky.

I have checked Twonky again and m4a (aac type) play just fine but aifs are not even recognised! m4a (alac type) are not supported by my version of naim unitiqute.

With Minimserver, naim will not play mp4 (aac) or aif. Flac, Wav and mp3 are fine. The flac to wav transcoding works fine also with little strain on the ARM QNAP cpu.

Trancoding m4a (alac to wav), in the same way as flac to wav, would be great (more so than aif to wav). The problem of course stems with iTunes lack of support for flac.

I would like to ditch Twonky for Minimserver but will need to keep it for playing m4a (aac) files with Minimserver playing flacs (to wavs).
My ideal would be having m4a (aac) and m4a (alac), streaming both to the naim with Minimserver and still being able to serve mobile devices from the same library.

Thanks again.
06-01-2013, 21:11
Simon,

I have experimented using Kinsky (iOS, Mac and Windows) to serve my naim uniqute. The result is the same: mp3s are the only file type that plays.
I have compared the minimsever logs for successful mp3 and unsuccessful mp4 streams.
mp4s seems to fall down with the message:
---------------
HTTPService: SocketException writing HTTP response to java.net.SocketOutputStream@1b00667
closed socket Socket[addr=/10.0.1.40,port=1559,localport=9790]
---------------
I can PM you the logs if you want to look in more detail.

Using the naim app control, n-Stream, I am able to stream mp3, flac and wav files but nothing else using minim. So I am getting different results with different controls.

Using Twonky, I can stream both mp3 and mp4 to the naim.

I have also tried streaming to my Panasonic Viera TV using the TV remote. Using Minim, I can stream both mp3 and mp4 but nothing else (same with Twonky).

Hope this helps to see where any problem lies.