Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Auto Rescan package for Synology users (formerly known as Auto Restart package)
28-04-2016, 21:31
RE: Auto Rescan package for Synology users (formerly known as Auto Restart package)
(28-04-2016 20:08)winxi Wrote:  
(28-04-2016 19:46)garyt Wrote:  Hi, I'm hoping for some help here. I've a Synology DS213j, DSM v6.0 with Minimserver 0.8.4. I'm having problems installing the Auto Rescan package. When I get to the 'apply' part of the installation, I get an error message (see attached screenshot) saying the inotifywait binary is not available. I followed the instructions on page 1 of this thread, added the URL etc. Is there anything else needed?

You need to install inotify-tools. When using the repository mentioned in the first post of this thread, this basically means:
1) Adding the reposity URL as package source.
2) Going to the package center community tab and installing inotify-tools.
Did you do this?

The community centre step wasn't mentioned on the instructions. I've done this, and it's installed as required. Thanks very much for the help.
Gary
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2016, 12:42
RE: Auto Rescan package for Synology users (formerly known as Auto Restart package)
(26-04-2016 19:58)winxi Wrote:  
(26-04-2016 19:50)simoncn Wrote:  What about files in @eaDir folders? This can double the nuimber of files that are watched.

The files in @eaDir folders have already been excluded from the inotify watches, the hidden files extend now the list of excluded files.

I notice that a file synching program also alters a small file on my NASIdea, as does Lightning Server from the renderer Auralic (a dat file for caching) so wouldn’t it be better just to include music files (the same range as MinimServer itself recognizes FLAC, WAV,etc) for Auto Rescan instead of exclude files? Probably there will be more examples to be found which will trigger a rescan.
01-05-2016, 14:51
(01-05-2016 12:42)tomfox Wrote:  I notice that a file synching program also alters a small file on my NASIdea, as does Lightning Server from the renderer Auralic (a dat file for caching) so wouldn’t it be better just to include music files (the same range as MinimServer itself recognizes FLAC, WAV,etc) for Auto Rescan instead of exclude files? Probably there will be more examples to be found which will trigger a rescan.

Watching explicitely just the files which are supported by MinimServer seems to be a good idea and I already had this approach in mind when I started making this package. However, inotifywait (the tool which is used to establish the watches) doesn't allow to specify a pattern for including files, but only for excluding files.

I will add files with certain file name extensions to the list of excluded files. The extensions I've in mind, are
dat, txt, tmp, log, aux, cfg, ini
Which extensions would you add to this list?
02-05-2016, 08:59
(01-05-2016 14:51)winxi Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 12:42)tomfox Wrote:  I notice that a file synching program also alters a small file on my NASIdea, as does Lightning Server from the renderer Auralic (a dat file for caching) so wouldn’t it be better just to include music files (the same range as MinimServer itself recognizes FLAC, WAV,etc) for Auto Rescan instead of exclude files? Probably there will be more examples to be found which will trigger a rescan.

Watching explicitely just the files which are supported by MinimServer seems to be a good idea and I already had this approach in mind when I started making this package. However, inotifywait (the tool which is used to establish the watches) doesn't allow to specify a pattern for including files, but only for excluding files.

I will add files with certain file name extensions to the list of excluded files. The extensions I've in mind, are
dat, txt, tmp, log, aux, cfg, ini
Which extensions would you add to this list?

I think in my case I would add the .DS_store file (it’s a hidden file in OSX used by the filesystem but triggers Auto Rescan) and maybe .jpg, .mov, because these files have nothing to do with rescanning.
02-05-2016, 09:11
How do I reset the log (it is stopped probably because it reached the 500Kb limit)?
02-05-2016, 20:31
(02-05-2016 08:59)tomfox Wrote:  I think in my case I would add the .DS_store file (it’s a hidden file in OSX used by the filesystem but triggers Auto Rescan) and maybe .jpg, .mov, because these files have nothing to do with rescanning.

Hidden files (e.g. the .DS_store file) are already excluded in the latest package version. I'd be surprised if this file still triggers a rescan in v1.1. Can you confirm this?
jpg-files are recognized by MinimServer as album art, thus they should trigger a rescan. I will add mov-files to the list of excluded files.
02-05-2016, 20:36
(02-05-2016 09:11)tomfox Wrote:  How do I reset the log (it is stopped probably because it reached the 500Kb limit)?
The log-file can not be reset manually, it will be reset by the package when it grows beyond the 500 kB limit.
What do you mean when you say that it is stopped? Has the package status stopped in the package center? Do you see no new log entries? Does the package still work (i.e. does it still trigger rescans)?
02-05-2016, 22:02
(02-05-2016 20:36)winxi Wrote:  
(02-05-2016 09:11)tomfox Wrote:  How do I reset the log (it is stopped probably because it reached the 500Kb limit)?
The log-file can not be reset manually, it will be reset by the package when it grows beyond the 500 kB limit.
What do you mean when you say that it is stopped? Has the package status stopped in the package center? Do you see no new log entries? Does the package still work (i.e. does it still trigger rescans)?

Sorry, it was not correct what I said: the log-file still “works” but I was examining a folder with FINDER and that resulted in “CLOSE_WRITE, CLOSE” entries for every file in the directory and a rescan, I don’t know why.
03-05-2016, 12:10
Some process on the NAS triggered a rescan which ended at 4:40 last night (I definitely was asleep and haven’t played the specific flac files for weeks) see attached screenshot. A mystery?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-05-2016, 13:09
(03-05-2016 12:10)tomfox Wrote:  Some process on the NAS triggered a rescan which ended at 4:40 last night (I definitely was asleep and haven’t played the specific flac files for weeks) see attached screenshot. A mystery?

The log says 00:04:40 (~5 minutes past midnight). From this log, I can not tell what did open and close these files for writing.
I'm considering to remove the 'close_write' and 'close' events from the list of events which trigger a rescan. I'll do some experiments and think about whether this can be done without having the risk of missed file changes.