Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is recognised as an 'album'?
26-10-2017, 13:10
What is recognised as an 'album'?
I have a few albums where Minimserver lists tracks to a client as being in multiple albums with the same name. Other software accessing the files see them as a single album, they were ripped using a single album name and I can't see any difference (e.g. extraneous spaces). They are all in the same directory and album artist doesn't vary either.

The tracks aren't replicated, so it isn't that they are in more than one place. The albums are being split, sometimes track by track.

Anyone with any clues as to why Minimserver thinks they are from different albums? Does it use anything other than album name?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2017, 15:33
RE: What is recognised as an 'album'?
(26-10-2017 13:10)solanum Wrote:  I have a few albums where Minimserver lists tracks to a client as being in multiple albums with the same name. Other software accessing the files see them as a single album, they were ripped using a single album name and I can't see any difference (e.g. extraneous spaces). They are all in the same directory and album artist doesn't vary either.

The tracks aren't replicated, so it isn't that they are in more than one place. The albums are being split, sometimes track by track.

Anyone with any clues as to why Minimserver thinks they are from different albums? Does it use anything other than album name?
Album Artist needs to be the same for all tracks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-10-2017, 15:38
Or alternatively, if there is no AlbumArtist tag, the Artist tag value(s) must match exactly.

This is to prevent albums like 'Greatest Hits' or 'Beethoven Symphony No. 9' by many different artists being merged together into a single album.

It is also necessary to have the mergeFolderAlbums property set to true (see this section).
27-10-2017, 00:13 (This post was last modified: 27-10-2017 00:15 by solanum.)
(26-10-2017 15:38)simoncn Wrote:  Or alternatively, if there is no AlbumArtist tag, the Artist tag value(s) must match exactly.

This is to prevent albums like 'Greatest Hits' or 'Beethoven Symphony No. 9' by many different artists being merged together into a single album.

It is also necessary to have the mergeFolderAlbums property set to true (see this section).

Thanks for the response. The album artist is the same for all tracks, the album title is the same, the genre is the same and the disc number is the same, composer and track artist varies.

I think I might have a clue for one of the problem albums. The track titles include square brackets, for example: "Twelve microludes for string quartet: 11.[1/1 = 20]". Is it possible that the algorithm for recognising disc number is interpreting this as separate disks and that is causing a problem?

Note that my MinimServer installation (QNAP apps, version 0.8.4 from memory) is not splitting other albums according to disk, but properly merging them.
27-10-2017, 00:21 (This post was last modified: 27-10-2017 00:32 by solanum.)
Deleted as incorrect info.
27-10-2017, 00:37
Sorry, ignore this whole thread. Problem is solved and it was my fault.

It was all about my ripping software and having a / character in one of the fields that were being used for the filename (but not inside quotes). This was being interpreted as a sub-directory and then folder merge wasn't working for some reason (files names were all different, but tag info was the same).
27-10-2017, 09:50
Folder merging only happens if you have the mergeFolderAlbums property set to true.