Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Netgear Readynas Ultra 2 plus
23-10-2017, 16:02
Netgear Readynas Ultra 2 plus
Hi again,

A month I asked and was informed that I could NOT install MinimServer on a WD My Net N900 Central

Since then I have found a s/h Netgear Readynas ultra 2+ at a very good price. I was going to need an extra drive for a out-of-the-house backup, and I could use it for this purpose if could not use that one with MinimServer either (if the Readynas server software wasn't to my liking).

I'm happy to read here that in fact I should be able to install the MinimServer on the Readynas. Not least because I now have another problem: When the folder/file names include Danish characters like æ ø å ä ö (which happens a lot) then the whole name is shown as a blank space in the app I use for selecting the albums/songs. Problem is only in the app, not when I look at files in Windows or when titles are shown ind the display on the media player / streamer.

Questions:
1. would installing MinimServer as per your instructions come with a risk of deleting my music files?
2. will it remove the current DLNA server supplied with the Readynas? And
3. how could I revert to using the standard Netgear software for streaming the music in case I should find this a better solution in my case ?

-and of course, will I be likely to have the same character issue with MinimServer ?

I hope that you once again can help me with answers to my questions.

Regards,
Claus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2017, 22:54
RE: Netgear Readynas Ultra 2 plus
(23-10-2017 16:02)ClausDK Wrote:  I have found a s/h Netgear Readynas ultra 2+ at a very good price. ... I'm happy to read here that in fact I should be able to install the MinimServer on the Readynas.

Yes this is one of the ReadyNAS models supported by MinimServer. As the installation instructions explain, you will need to use the x86 installation file.

(23-10-2017 16:02)ClausDK Wrote:  I now have another problem: When the folder/file names include Danish characters like æ ø å ä ö (which happens a lot) then the whole name is shown as a blank space in the app I use for selecting the albums/songs. Problem is only in the app, not when I look at files in Windows or when titles are shown ind the display on the media player / streamer ... will I be likely to have the same character issue with MinimServer ?

You set the default language for your NAS in the configuration software (RAIDiator), which you access from a Windows machine using the RAIDAR utility. MinimServer uses the platform (that is the NAS) character set.

(23-10-2017 16:02)ClausDK Wrote:  1. would installing MinimServer as per your instructions come with a risk of deleting my music files?

No. MinimServer is installed in a different location on the NAS from the music files. You may need to change the MinimServer content directory in its settings to access the music files (this is explained in the installation instructions), but MinimServer itself toes not write to or delete any files in your music library.

(23-10-2017 16:02)ClausDK Wrote:  2. will it remove the current DLNA server supplied with the Readynas?

No.

(23-10-2017 16:02)ClausDK Wrote:  3. how could I revert to using the standard Netgear software for streaming the music in case I should find this a better solution in my case ?

You can have both servers running simultaneously and switch from one to the other in the control point. However, once you have become familiar with MinimServer, I doubt that you will want to make much use of ReadyDLNA

David
24-10-2017, 06:39
Thanks David, I understand that it’s perfectly safe and reversible to install MinimSsrver and try it out then. I’ll go ahead and hope it’s as easy as It seems after a quick read of the instructions here.

Claus
24-10-2017, 09:26 (This post was last modified: 24-10-2017 12:28 by DavidHB.)
(24-10-2017 06:39)ClausDK Wrote:  Thanks David, I understand that it’s perfectly safe and reversible to install MinimSsrver and try it out then. I’ll go ahead and hope it’s as easy as It seems after a quick read of the instructions here.

Simon's instructions are always clear and complete. As I recall my original installation of MinimServer on my ReadyNAS (four years ago now), it was very straightforward. But it will be best to get the ReadyNAS working fully (including setting the language) before you install MinimServer.

David
25-10-2017, 10:35 (This post was last modified: 25-10-2017 10:35 by ClausDK.)
MinimServer installed and tried. The installation was smooth and quick, not least thanks to the excellent instructions here.
And on the music streamer and the control app I have the option of both ReadyDLNA and Minim. So far so good.
Well....

Problem 1)
Only 41 albums out of something like 500 are shown as music albums, the rest are in Untagged folder. When inspecting these in MP3Tageditor the do have album information, just like the 41 that show up correct. And with ReadyDLNA and previously Seagate Personalcloud DLNA they also were shown. It COULD be related to the fact that a lot of albums dont have AlbumArtist in the tags, I haven't done a thorough check on this yet.
So, given that the album info is in the tags, is there any way I can make MinimServer look to this field in sted of whatever field it's using as default? All cd's were ripped using Win7 Mediaplayer (7-800 cd's I think).

Problem 2)
Since installing MinimServer I pretty much constantly loose the connection from the app to the player and the NAS. I use Naim app on ipad/iphone and a Naim ND5XS player. When the player goes into "standby" mode after some minutes without dialogue with the app, I can no longer reconnect to it from the app, which says "no player to be found". As soon as I press Play directly on the player or the remote control, it shows up in the app again.
Before I added a NAS to the system (streaming from USB input on ND5) this happened once in a while. But since adding the Readynas 3 weeks ago I haven't had this issue even once. But immediately after the Minimserver was installed it seems to happen each time the connection from app to streamer/nas is passive for a minute or so.
This is a really big issue, since I really need the app for controlling the playback...

Good news
On the positive side it seems that the special characters that worked on the Seagate Personalcloud but not on the Readynas now are shown both in the app and on the player itself.
As this was my main reason for switching to Minimserver, hoping to solve this, this is really good news.

Bottom line, for now, is that by succesfully solving one problem I have become two other, both quite impossible to live with.
I really want to use the MinimServer on my NAS, so I do hope that you or Simon, or someone else, can help me fix these two problems.
??

Claus
25-10-2017, 11:16
If a file appears in the [untagged] container, either it has no tags or it does have tags but MinimServer had a problem with reading the tags. Do you see error messages for these files in the MinimServer log? (You need to be running MinimWatch to view this log.)

Your other problem sounds like a network multicast discovery issue. If your router has an option to disable IGMP snooping, you should select this option.
25-10-2017, 11:40 (This post was last modified: 25-10-2017 11:42 by DavidHB.)
I can think of several reasons why you are encountering this problem.

I assume that all of the 'bad' albums are within the same folder structure as the 'good' albums, that is somewhere within the MinimServer content directory. If this is the case, you ought to be able to see all albums using the MinimServer folder view. Is this the case?

Is there any obvious difference between the 'good' and 'bad' albums. For example, are the 'bad' albums in a different file format? Or did you use different software to rip the 'good' and 'bad' albums. MinimServer is as standards compliant as Simon can make it; other software is less fussy, and incompatibilities can arise.

Have you installed MinimWatch on your computer? If not, please do so. Open MinimWatch and wait until the tray icon for your instance of MinimServer turns green (or clear on a Mac). Right- or CTRl-click on the icon to get its context menu, and then use the menu to open the MinimServer log and do a rescan, making sure (by viewing the log) that you allow the scan to finish. If you get error messages, please post them here. If you are getting lots of messages in the same format, just post a few samples.

Subject to correction, I don't think that the presence or absence of the AlbumArtist tag is the cause of your problem. AlbumArtist has to be the same for all files in the album, but it can be blank for all. My guess is that either you did not allow the initial scan of the library to complete (it can take some time), or there is some issue with the tag formatting of your problem albums, which will hopefully show up in the MinimServer log. If the problem persists, Simon may ask you to send him samples of 'bad' files, so that he can identify the problem.

David

P.S. I now see that Simon has already replied along somewhat similar lines.
25-10-2017, 11:53
Wow, 2 quick replies! :-)

All albums are in the same folder or in subfolders to that. I have a limited number of albums in MP3 format, the ones I'm not likely to listen to and my wife's yoga instruction cd's :-) I didn't strike me as the case, but I will check if the ones that are shown as albums could in fact be the ones not in WAV format.

I will also install MinimWatch and maybe disable the ReadyDLNA thus only having MinimServer active.

Probably won't get to it until tomorrow.
But I will keep you updated as soon as I have tried some of the suggestions.

Thanks a lot to both of you.

Claus
25-10-2017, 12:43
This might be related to the albums being in WAV format.

There are two ways to tag WAV files: LIST/INFO and ID3v2. MinimServer supports only ID3v2. If your WAV files are tagged as LIST/INFO, the tags might be read by other servers but not by MinimServer.

Converting the WAV tags to ID3v2 using a file converter program such as dBpoweramp should fix this problem. If you do this, I suggest you leave the LIST/INFO tags in place or else you might have problems with other servers not being able to read the tags.
25-10-2017, 15:36
Simon's suggestion is the minimum change option for getting round the tagging format issue, if this proves to be your problem. It might be worth converting an album or two as a test. If you don't already have dBpoweramp, I suggest downloading and installing the 21 day trial of the Reference version from here

The following extract from the dBpoweramp Music Converter help page is relevant:

"Wave files can store limited (choice of fields) ID Tags in a Wave LIST chunk, or a full range id ID Tags in an 'id3 ' chunk (which is an id3v2 tag). By default both types of tags are written for maximum compatibility. Not all programs can read these chunks."

So dBPoweramp writes both tag formats ro WAV files by default. What I cannot discover from the (rather messy) MP3Tag help and forum pages is whether MP3Tag does the same thing. As you can read the tags in MP3Tag, it might be worth making a few dummy edits to one of your WAV albums in MP3Tag and saving the results, to see whether MinimServer can then read the tags in that album. But to change several hundred albums you are better off using the dBpoweramp Batch Converter.

A more radical, but in my view better, solution would be to convert your WAV files to FLAC with its Vorbis tags. This would avoid problems with tagging formats in the future. I won't get into any discussion as to whether WAV sounds better than FLAC (there are some strongly held opinions on both sides of that argument!). Suffice to say that you can always use MinimStreamer to transcode your FLAC files to WAV24 (which is what I do), and thereby get the best of both worlds.

David