Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Box set tagging
19-10-2017, 14:27
Box set tagging
Hi

I've invested in a cd box set, "Bach Cantatas"
( http://www.monteverdi.co.uk/shop/albums/...mplete-set )

It consists of 28 volumes, and every volumes contains 2 CD discs.

How should I organize/tag this kind box set ???
I don't want to see all discs when browsing albums.. just the "Bach Cantatas" entry.

I wish that I could tag this in such way that,,
Top level => I can see the box set ("Bach Cantatas")
Selecting the box set => I can see all volumes (vol01, vol02, ....)
Selecting one volume => I can see two discs (disc1, disc2)

This is a valid problem for a lot of box set's.. that contains albums that are double disc albums.

I am using BubbleUpnp as control point
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2017, 20:18
RE: Box set tagging
At present there isn't a way to do exactly what you want. You can tag this as a multidisc album but this will give you a single-level list of the entire contents. You want a two-level structure (or perhaps three-level including the pair of CDs in a volume).

There has been previous discussion of something like a BoxSet or AlbumSet tag to handle large collections like this. With this approach, the files would be tagged (for example):

ALBUMSET=Bach Cantatas
ALBUM=Bach Cantatas Vol 2
DISCNUMBER=1
GROUP=Cantata "Ach Gott, vom Himmel sieh darein" BWV 2
TITLE=Coro (Choral) Ach Gott, vom Himmel sieh darein
TRACKNUMBER=1

Anything tagged as AlbumSet would appear as a single entry in the "albums" list and selecting it would show the albums that it contains. All the other tags would work as they do currently.
20-10-2017, 08:20
Okay,,, Can I put a vote for this function?

Have you any ideas how to present a cover art for the ALBUMSET ??

In your example above,, tagg GROUP is new for me.. what is the usage ?
20-10-2017, 09:03
Covert art for an album set could be provided by having a file albumsetname.jpg or albumsetname.png in one of the folders containing files from the album set.

For information about the Group tag, see this section.
20-10-2017, 11:52 (This post was last modified: 20-10-2017 15:35 by paultaylor.)
This is how I understand it, there is not currently any special support for ALBUMSET tag, so although you could tag your files with it and configure MinimServer to be able to browse by ALBUMSET it wouldn't currently be listed under ALBUMS only ALBUMSETs, but it would still be quite useful to be able to browse the box sets, and you could then get to the albums (volumes) within the box set that way.

If you did it that way and reserved ALBUM for the volume name, then you could browse each volumes and the discs within it. GROUP lets you group together related tracks (i.e movement of a work) but not they will not work over disc boundaries (i.e some tracks on Disc 1 and some on Disc 2). But if that is an issue you configure so that discs are not shown within an album, this would then allow groups to work.

The alternative way would be to set ALBUM to boxset name, and lose the volumes part so instead of going boxset/vol1/disc1, boxset/vol1,disc2, boxset, vol2, disc1 you just went boxset/disc1, boxset/disc2, boxset/disc3

Or you could even keeps the volumes but lose the discs by using discnumbering for volume numbering using boxset/vol1, boxset/vol2, boxset/vol3

The key thing is that when playing all album you only have two levels not the three levels. Well you have three levels if you include groups but this is for grouping tracks logically rather than representing volums or discs.

But personally I would try out the ALBUMSET idea, actually I think I will try it out.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-10-2017, 09:48
ok.
Is there a wish list of features to be added,,, ???
If so,, I vote for the ALBUMSET tag.
16-11-2017, 13:49
(27-10-2017 09:48)lg.lindstrom Wrote:  ok.
Is there a wish list of features to be added,,, ???
If so,, I vote for the ALBUMSET tag.
Good choice of recordings but I am not sure of the significance of the "Volume" in this case. The box I have has 56 CDs numbered 1 to 56, each with its own cover art. (I believe you may find the art for each disk on the Bach Cantatas website.) I use genre and composer tags to browse collection.