MinimWatch - no tray icon(s) or desktop launcher
09-10-2017, 17:46
RE: MinimWatch - no tray icon(s) or desktop launcher
I've tried reinstalling openjdk but I'm told I already have the newest version:

nick@nick-build-1:~$ sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
openjdk-8-jre is already the newest version (8u131-b11-2ubuntu1.16.04.3).
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 2 not to upgrade.

There's no mention of "headless" and I assume this is the full version, but I can't find a way to check. Googling it didn't bring up anything that worked.

As for the desktop, I need to investigate further as I've just discovered I can't paste to my desktop: right clicking does nothing - no menu - zilch! I tried copying a file into my Desktop folder, but it hasn't appeared on the desktop. maybe it will when I reboot, but I somehow doubt it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2017, 18:33
Doh! I have just discovered that desktop icons are disabled by default in this version of Ubuntu. But there's a Gnome tweak tool that enables you to turn them on. So now have the MinimWatch icon on my desktop - although actually I now prefer it in the top tray!
10-10-2017, 07:25
(09-10-2017 18:33)nickc Wrote:  Doh! I have just discovered that desktop icons are disabled by default in this version of Ubuntu. But there's a Gnome tweak tool that enables you to turn them on. So now have the MinimWatch icon on my desktop - although actually I now prefer it in the top tray!

After applying this tweak, are you still getting the message about MinimWatch being unable to create the tray icon?
10-10-2017, 14:52
(10-10-2017 07:25)simoncn Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 18:33)nickc Wrote:  Doh! I have just discovered that desktop icons are disabled by default in this version of Ubuntu. But there's a Gnome tweak tool that enables you to turn them on. So now have the MinimWatch icon on my desktop - although actually I now prefer it in the top tray!

After applying this tweak, are you still getting the message about MinimWatch being unable to create the tray icon?

Yes, as I was when I tried the launcher from within the Desktop folder, and from the top tray. I think all the tweak does is allow what's in the desktop folder to present a shortcut on the desktop screen.
10-10-2017, 17:33
Perhaps you have the correct OpenJDK installed but MinimWatch is picking up the java command from some other location that contains headless OpenJDK. What output do you get from this command:

sudo update-alternatives --config java
10-10-2017, 18:38
nick@nick-build-1:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config java
[sudo] password for nick:
There is only one alternative in link group java (providing /usr/bin/java): /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-i386/jre/bin/java
Nothing to configure.
nick@nick-build-1:~$
10-10-2017, 19:12
This looks like the correct version of Java 8.

It would be worth trying Java 9 with MinimServer 0.8.4.7 as this fixes some issues with GNOME (see this post). The icon is still not working perfectly but this should be fixed with an update to MinimWatch that will be available soon.
12-10-2017, 21:35
I tried installing openjdk-9-jre, but once it started downloading it showed itself as headless. Following the links in the post you mention I only found a java 9 for 64bit, whereas I'm on 32bit. Life's getting busy again, so I'm inclined to leave things as they are and wait for your next release. I do very much appreciate your help - I don't know how you manage to monitor this forum so efficiently and respond so comprehensively to us all!
13-10-2017, 07:20
The 32-bit part could be an important clue. I am doing all my Ubuntu testing on 64-bit. Is there a reason why you are on 32-bit?

Supporting MinimServer on a wide range of diverse platforms is indeed something of a challenge. Thanks for your kind words!
14-10-2017, 08:07
(13-10-2017 07:20)simoncn Wrote:  The 32-bit part could be an important clue. I am doing all my Ubuntu testing on 64-bit. Is there a reason why you are on 32-bit?

Simply that I haven't got round to upgrading my hardware, something I've been meaning to do for at least the last 5 years! I built my desktop machine a good ten years ago, probably longer. My "future proofing" has proved far more effective than I'd ever imagined, thanks largely to Linux, but for the last couple of years its really been creaking. "New desktop" now a priority!