Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WD PIDRIVE NODE ZERO
27-07-2017, 16:30
RE: WD PIDRIVE NODE ZERO
The reason I bought used was I have never had a NAS before. So far I am beyound impressed. I'm thinking a new plex NAS box is in my future. For now, another donation made to Simon the "Music Tag Master".
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2017, 12:49
(27-07-2017 16:30)astropuppy Wrote:  The reason I bought used was I have never had a NAS before. So far I am beyond impressed. I'm thinking a new plex NAS box is in my future. For now, another donation made to Simon the "Music Tag Master".

Two things to think about when considering a new NAS.

Firstly, as you like MinimServer, you should get a compatible NAS - you should find something that suits you in the QNAP or Synology ranges. I assume that you are interested in Plex as a media server (MinimServer being a dedicated music server). Any modern NAS should run both servers concurrently, so that should not be an issue. However, if you need any of the premium features of Plex, it is rather expensive compared to the competition.

Secondly, for a music server NAS at least, you do not need to go overboard with the specification. RAID provides a useful means of recovery from a hard drive failure, but it is not a substitute for keeping a proper, separate backup. That being the case, you can manage perfectly well with a single drive NAS; any extra cash available can go towards increasing the capacity of the hard drive or buying a separate USB backup drive. For the NAS, you do need a hard drive specified for NAS use; the WD Red range is the one most commonly recommended for this use.

David
28-07-2017, 16:37
I intend to use the single disk (ds112) unit I have now as my minimserver forever and ever. Another NAS for PLEX is just a dream at this time.

I have no use for RAID, why complicate a home situation with relatively static data files.

Next I need to figure out how to get minimwatch running on my chromebook...