Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Navigation help
25-07-2017, 07:50
RE: Navigation help
(24-07-2017 21:42)simoncn Wrote:  
(24-07-2017 21:19)freaknout Wrote:  Thanks for replying. "Open" access means that he doesn't have his own iPad or iPhone. He accesses the server files through the denon mini hifi interface using the remote control.

Does the denon mini hifi interface using the remote control provide access to the MinimServer browse tree? If so, is this the same browse tree that you are viewing on your iPad?

Hi Simon

It's the same browser tree but it's through a simple screen and infrared remote control. With 1800 artists it took about 5 minutes to scrol through to get to Radiohead.

All the best
Jay
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2017, 08:27 (This post was last modified: 25-07-2017 08:27 by simoncn.)
Thanks, I understand now. In some cases, users have wanted to create a custom browse tree for another family member.
25-07-2017, 08:59
(25-07-2017 08:27)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks, I understand now. In some cases, users have wanted to create a custom browse tree for another family member.

Ah I see. Thanks for your help Simon.
25-07-2017, 10:49
(25-07-2017 07:50)freaknout Wrote:  It's the same browser tree but it's through a simple screen and infrared remote control. With 1800 artists it took about 5 minutes to scroll through to get to Radiohead.

I can see how that can be a real pain. In fact, I'd regard that arrangement as unusable. On my Linn players, there is no attempt to incorporate selection capabilities in the remote, which only provides 'transport' and information functions; I think that's probably the best general approach, though it wouldn't let you keep your son off the iPad ... Smile

I hope you are able to try the saved playlists. I don't have very many, but I use them quite a lot. They could also help with the Denon, because two selections and a minimum of scrolling could get your son to a current favourite album or whatever, and that would in most cases be even quicker and easier than using alphaGroup with as many as 1800 artists.

David
25-07-2017, 14:57 (This post was last modified: 26-07-2017 10:11 by Alandbush.)
(24-07-2017 14:26)freaknout Wrote:  Hi all

I've been using Minimserver in a basic way for quite some time but need some help to setting up easy navigation for son.

My son has a Denon Ceol Picolo which allows access to minimsever running on my Qnap. Without an iPhone/iPad navigation via the Denon remote is very clunky and time consuming. What I'd ideally like to set up is have some selected Artists in the root directory (as per Radiohead and The Shins example below) or perhaps set-up some specific Artists playlists...

26 albums
241 items
3 playlists
Artist
Date
Genre
All Artists
Composer
Radiohead
The Shins
[untagged]
[folder view]

Can anyone help me set that up? I hope I've been clear.

Many thanks
Jay

Hi Jay,

I know your query has probably been solved satisfactorily by the alphaGroup option but I wondered if the following would be useful.

Minimserver provides an option to create virtual tags which can then be added to the above index tree via the indexTags option.

First, you are required to create a text file on the NAS/PC that runs Minimserver.
You inform Minimserver of the filepath and filename by entering it into the Advanced tab tagUpdate option.
See here for a better description.

eg. tagUpdate option
value = /volume1/music/tagUpdate.txt

You then populate the text file with appropriate instructions. Again, see the above link for description.

eg.
@ARTIST=Radiohead
+NUMBER ONE SON ARTISTS=Radiohead
@ARTIST=Coldplay
+NUMBER ONE SON ARTISTS=Coldplay

Then you add the new tag to the indexTags option

eg. indexTags option
values = Artist, Date, Genre, All Artists, Number One Son artists

One obvious disadvantage to doing this is the work that might be needed to satisfy your sons' appetite for new artists. Big Grin
But then again, it is only a text file that could be created and maintained, by your son perhaps, away from Minimserver, which can then be imported for use by minimserver.
25-07-2017, 16:56
Good suggestion. FYI, there is no need to specify =ARTIST as you are not changing the ARTIST tag value.
26-07-2017, 00:14 (This post was last modified: 26-07-2017 00:16 by Alandbush.)
(25-07-2017 16:56)simoncn Wrote:  Good suggestion. FYI, there is no need to specify =ARTIST as you are not changing the ARTIST tag value.

I had tried that, I'm sure, but received an error.
Something like "no matching tag found".
So it went back in again.

I'll try it again and provide the full message, if it appears again.
26-07-2017, 09:15
You would get a message about a non-matching instruction if an @ instruction is followed by an = or - instruction with a different tag name. There is no problem if there is a following + instruction with a different tag name.
26-07-2017, 10:14
(26-07-2017 09:15)simoncn Wrote:  You would get a message about a non-matching instruction if an @ instruction is followed by an = or - instruction with a different tag name. There is no problem if there is a following + instruction with a different tag name.

How could I have doubted you. Blush

Instructions amended as appropriate.
Thank you.
27-07-2017, 13:57
Thanks for all replies. Sorry I haven't had time to review and consider as it's school holidays and busy busy!