Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upsampling MQA files to original resolution with sox
13-05-2020, 12:29
RE: Upsampling MQA files to original resolution with sox
Support for wav32 transcoding is on my to-do list and it should be available fairly soon in MinimStreamer 2.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2020, 15:30 (This post was last modified: 13-05-2020 15:31 by rompolompo.)
(13-05-2020 10:37)granosalis Wrote:  Is there any progress on this topic? I think MQA decoding (even if not officially supported) would be a great addition to minimstreamer. Thanks. Giuseppe

MQA is a nonsensical scam that should not be used. It is a total rip-off of the innocent audiophile who knows no better.
13-05-2020, 16:03
(13-05-2020 15:30)rompolompo Wrote:  MQA is a nonsensical scam that should not be used. It is a total rip-off of the innocent audiophile who knows no better.
Not sure I got the entire sentence (lots of idioms for an Italian guy), but looks like you are not an MQA fan :-)
I generally agree with you, but MQA is becoming more and more popular and there are also some very good sounding MQA CD from Japan.
I got the Jazz Hi-Res CD Sampler, which I have ripped and put on the minimserver. Autumn Leaves sounds extremly good.
It would be great if using SOX and minimstreamer we can play an MQA file at full resolution.
13-05-2020, 18:02
(13-05-2020 12:29)simoncn Wrote:  Support for wav32 transcoding is on my to-do list and it should be available fairly soon in MinimStreamer 2.

Thanks Simon, I think I'll buy the license at the end of the trial period. This is a very good software and you are very kind and supportive.

Is it possible to pass the -vsM option to sox lib in order to enable the minimal linear phase upsampling?

Ciao,
Giuseppe
13-05-2020, 19:40 (This post was last modified: 13-05-2020 21:51 by simoncn.)
The only way to upsample MQA with MinimStreamer that I have seen proposed is described in this post, which doesn't mention the -vsM option.
13-05-2020, 21:32
(13-05-2020 18:02)granosalis Wrote:  Is it possible to pass the -vsM option to sox lib in order to enable the minimal linear phase upsampling?

Ciao,
Giuseppe

Given that you have only a few MQA cds, it may be easier/quicker to generate an upsampled version of them yourself, directly using Sox.
You then have the ability to compare the before and after to determine if you hear a difference.
13-05-2020, 22:08
(13-05-2020 16:03)granosalis Wrote:  
(13-05-2020 15:30)rompolompo Wrote:  MQA is a nonsensical scam that should not be used. It is a total rip-off of the innocent audiophile who knows no better.
Not sure I got the entire sentence (lots of idioms for an Italian guy), but looks like you are not an MQA fan :-)
I generally agree with you, but MQA is becoming more and more popular and there are also some very good sounding MQA CD from Japan.
I got the Jazz Hi-Res CD Sampler, which I have ripped and put on the minimserver. Autumn Leaves sounds extremly good.
It would be great if using SOX and minimstreamer we can play an MQA file at full resolution.

MQA is dying. Only few CDs were made and currently only Tidal stream content in MQA. Companies got the message that people don't want to pay for yet another format and buy new equipment. FLAC is fine, open source and works well on anything. Soon MQA will join HDCD, DSD and all the other esoteric formats that never made it into main stream media.
13-05-2020, 23:11 (This post was last modified: 13-05-2020 23:17 by granosalis.)
(13-05-2020 19:40)simoncn Wrote:  The only way to upsample MQA with MinimStreamer that I have seen proposed is described in this post, which doesn't mention the -vsM option.

I tried, but does not work. Screen in attachment.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

14-05-2020, 00:52
The earlier stated sox command to upsample MQA (see below) is no longer supported, assuming it was correct initially.

sox -S input.mqa.flac output.flac -vsM 352800

For sox 14.4.2 the command is as follows:-

sox -S input.mqa.flac output.flac rate -v -M 352800

where 352800 is the original sampling frequency (tag ORFS) of the MQA file.
14-05-2020, 05:40 (This post was last modified: 14-05-2020 05:42 by granosalis.)
(14-05-2020 00:52)Alandbush Wrote:  The earlier stated sox command to upsample MQA (see below) is no longer supported, assuming it was correct initially.

sox -S input.mqa.flac output.flac -vsM 352800

For sox 14.4.2 the command is as follows:-

sox -S input.mqa.flac output.flac rate -v -M 352800

where 352800 is the original sampling frequency (tag ORFS) of the MQA file.
Thanks Alan,
I did it, but the output files is 16bit. Is there any way to produce a 24bit file?
if I put -b 24 the file becomes unlistenable.
Giuseppe