Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Editing DISCSUBTITLE tag
28-06-2017, 06:31
Editing DISCSUBTITLE tag
Sorry if this has come up before.
I have just loaded all CD's onto my PC and used several different programs to "tidy" them ... some have done severe damage to the file content and/or the sorting was bizarre.
Good I made backup folders so I could start again.
Fortunately MINIM on my QNAP NAS had given me a Log file where I could manually (very tedious) tidy up using Mp3tag. I still have some "errors" which indicate a problem with DISCSUBTITLE. I cannot see this in Mp3tag. Any suggestions for a suitable editor ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2017, 11:23 (This post was last modified: 28-06-2017 11:25 by DavidHB.)
RE: Editing DISCSUBTITLE tag
If there is a DISCSUBTITLE tag in the file, MP3Tag will be able to read it. It will not, however, show it on the tag panel, unless you configure the panel display (Tools > Options > Tag Panel) to do so.

To check whether the tag is present, use the View > Extended Tags (shortcut ALT-T) dialog, with at least one file selected. You can use this dialog to add or edit tags in single or multiple files.

What are the DISCSUBTITLE errors you are getting? If you are going to use DISCSUBTITLE, as with 'DISC nn' numbering, all the tracks on any given disc in the multi-disc album must have the same subtitle. Likewise, I believe (and would in any case strongly recommend) that, if subtitles are used, they should be used in every disc/track in the album.

David
28-06-2017, 12:57
(28-06-2017 11:23)DavidHB Wrote:  If there is a DISCSUBTITLE tag in the file, MP3Tag will be able to read it. It will not, however, show it on the tag panel, unless you configure the panel display (Tools > Options > Tag Panel) to do so.

Many thanks for that. Entered a new field in that dialogue

To check whether the tag is present, use the View > Extended Tags (shortcut ALT-T) dialog, with at least one file selected. You can use this dialog to add or edit tags in single or multiple files.

Yes, that worked and I can see them when they are present. These seem to been added by one of the "helpful" library checkers I installed.

What are the DISCSUBTITLE errors you are getting? If you are going to use DISCSUBTITLE, as with 'DISC nn' numbering, all the tracks on any given disc in the multi-disc album must have the same subtitle. Likewise, I believe (and would in any case strongly recommend) that, if subtitles are used, they should be used in every disc/track in the album.

They are only present on some tracks of a 3 disc Led Zeppelin set. I will go through and eliminate all of the occurrences.
Error was ... Warning ignored conflicting DISCSUBTITLE value How the West Was Won D3 in file 18 Bring it on Home etc etc

David

many thanks for the tutorial.
Not a serious problem but annoying.
Gary.
28-06-2017, 14:40 (This post was last modified: 28-06-2017 14:47 by DavidHB.)
(28-06-2017 12:57)Tassie Devil Wrote:  Error was ... Warning ignored conflicting DISCSUBTITLE value How the West Was Won D3 in file 18 Bring it on Home etc etc

This suggests to me that different tracks on the same disc have different disc subtitles. The subtitling system is fully explained in the MinimServer User Guide, but as rules of thumb
  • If subtitling is used, all tracks on the album should have DISCSUBTITLE tags;
  • The tracks on any disc in the album set should all have the same DISCSUBTITLE value;
  • each of the discs in the set should have its own separate DISCSUBTITLE value.
In your case, you can obviously clear all the tags to get a consistent result, but disc subtitling can be useful when, as is often the case, individual discs in a set have their own identity or purpose (e.g. an album as originally issued, and a second disc of alternative takes or mixes).

I hope that this helps you to get rid of the annoyance. The way the album displays in your control point should also improve.

David
29-06-2017, 09:01
(28-06-2017 14:40)DavidHB Wrote:  
(28-06-2017 12:57)Tassie Devil Wrote:  Error was ... Warning ignored conflicting DISCSUBTITLE value How the West Was Won D3 in file 18 Bring it on Home etc etc

This suggests to me that different tracks on the same disc have different disc subtitles. The subtitling system is fully explained in the MinimServer User Guide, but as rules of thumb
  • If subtitling is used, all tracks on the album should have DISCSUBTITLE tags;
  • The tracks on any disc in the album set should all have the same DISCSUBTITLE value;
  • each of the discs in the set should have its own separate DISCSUBTITLE value.
In your case, you can obviously clear all the tags to get a consistent result, but disc subtitling can be useful when, as is often the case, individual discs in a set have their own identity or purpose (e.g. an album as originally issued, and a second disc of alternative takes or mixes).

I hope that this helps you to get rid of the annoyance. The way the album displays in your control point should also improve.

David

Many thanks for your time and guidance. Appreciated. I will read the Minimserver user guide and apply your suggestions to the multi disk sets. I need another rainy day ..
Gary.