Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got MinimServer running on my ReadyNAS NVX
23-12-2012, 11:13
Got MinimServer running on my ReadyNAS NVX
I finally took the plunge yesterday and have spent a couple hours trying to install MinimServer on my RedyNAS NVX and in the end I succeeded Smile

The hard part was actually not installing MinimServer which was pretty straightforward due to the excellent description provided by Simon, but to get Java to work properly. I had Java6 installed, which I just couldnt get to run at all. I then updated that to Java 7.10 using the "update-alternatives" command - and that did the trick.

The difference in speed compared to my previous (temporary) setup of running Minim on a Windows PC pointed to the music-share of the NAS is just incredible. While it could easily take 40mins plus to read the files on the PC-setup, now having Minim running 'natively' on the NAS, the 7500 albums with all detailed classical tags you can think of are read and written into cache in 6 or 7 minutes! Incredible Smile

Still early days testing, but seems to run well and stable. Songbook Lite and Kinsky recognized the new Server pretty much instantly. Some major issues with LUMIN, which does not seem to like a new Minim-Location at all but I'll address those in the LUMIN thread in the Linn forums.

For now I'm happy Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2012, 13:40
RE: Got MinimServer running on my ReadyNAS NVX
(23-12-2012 11:13)bbrip Wrote:  I finally took the plunge yesterday and have spent a couple hours trying to install MinimServer on my RedyNAS NVX and in the end I succeeded Smile

The hard part was actually not installing MinimServer which was pretty straightforward due to the excellent description provided by Simon, but to get Java to work properly. I had Java6 installed, which I just couldnt get to run at all. I then updated that to Java 7.10 using the "update-alternatives" command - and that did the trick.

The difference in speed compared to my previous (temporary) setup of running Minim on a Windows PC pointed to the music-share of the NAS is just incredible. While it could easily take 40mins plus to read the files on the PC-setup, now having Minim running 'natively' on the NAS, the 7500 albums with all detailed classical tags you can think of are read and written into cache in 6 or 7 minutes! Incredible Smile

Still early days testing, but seems to run well and stable. Songbook Lite and Kinsky recognized the new Server pretty much instantly. Some major issues with LUMIN, which does not seem to like a new Minim-Location at all but I'll address those in the LUMIN thread in the Linn forums.

For now I'm happy Smile

Thanks for the feedback, especially about the Java issue. I hadn't expected that part of the process to be problematical. Sad
23-12-2012, 14:00 (This post was last modified: 23-12-2012 14:03 by bbrip.)
SImon, just run into a little problem after rebooting the NAS: I had to start Minim again thru Console (is there a way to make it autostart after a NAS-reboot??) and it suddenly announced itself with a weird IP and under the wrong Name (the third item form the bottom on attached screenprint ("UPNP Mediaserver with http://5.169.31.28).

After stopping and restarting the server, the name and IP was then correctly displayed as 192.168.2.100 (first item on second screenprint) Any idea why this might happen? It could also be the reason for my problems with LUMIN, maybe.

Many thanks
bbrip

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

23-12-2012, 17:11 (This post was last modified: 23-12-2012 17:12 by simoncn.)
(23-12-2012 14:00)bbrip Wrote:  SImon, just run into a little problem after rebooting the NAS: I had to start Minim again thru Console (is there a way to make it autostart after a NAS-reboot??) and it suddenly announced itself with a weird IP and under the wrong Name (the third item form the bottom on attached screenprint ("UPNP Mediaserver with http://5.169.31.28).

After stopping and restarting the server, the name and IP was then correctly displayed as 192.168.2.100 (first item on second screenprint) Any idea why this might happen? It could also be the reason for my problems with LUMIN, maybe.

Many thanks
bbrip

I don't know what would cause this. I can ping this weird IP address, which suggests that it's a live server somewhere on the internet.

I don't (yet) know how to make MinimServer auto-start when the ReadyNAS is booted. Finding out how to do this will be an important part of making a convenient installation package for the ReadyNAS.

Edit: Is this IP address by any chance your external internet IP address?
23-12-2012, 23:46 (This post was last modified: 23-12-2012 23:58 by bbrip.)
(23-12-2012 17:11)simoncn Wrote:  Edit: Is this IP address by any chance your external internet IP address?

Simon, the IP is Telecom Italia, which is'nt my provider, but it led me to another trace: I had port forwarding active on my NAS to allow remote access. I have now closed that port and it seems to solve the 'funny IP' issue. Need to observe a bit longer.

It does not solve my issues with LUMIN which still refuses to load the library - but thats another matter Confused

Thanks for the hint. I'll post an update when I can confirm the "stable IP" situation.

bbrip
28-12-2012, 20:29
(23-12-2012 14:00)bbrip Wrote:  SImon, just run into a little problem after rebooting the NAS: I had to start Minim again thru Console (is there a way to make it autostart after a NAS-reboot??)

Hello, I just received my 1st Linn ADS a week a ago and I already switched from Twonky to Minim, but I face the same problem as bbrip...

I feed my Linn Akurate DS with MinimServer running on a Netgear and a Qnap NAS and use BubbleDS Next to control them
28-12-2012, 20:31 (This post was last modified: 28-12-2012 21:02 by bbrip.)
Hi rembo,

Regarding the IP issues or rearding not being recognized by LUMIN? I think the autoboot itself is something Simon is working on as part of a ReadyNAS install package

Bbrip
30-12-2012, 12:05
(28-12-2012 20:31)bbrip Wrote:  Hi rembo,

Regarding the IP issues or rearding not being recognized by LUMIN? I think the autoboot itself is something Simon is working on as part of a ReadyNAS install package

Bbrip

Hi Bbrip,
It's autoboot, because I'm not a linux scripting fan.

I feed my Linn Akurate DS with MinimServer running on a Netgear and a Qnap NAS and use BubbleDS Next to control them