Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Working great with PS3 but not Xbox or WMP
21-12-2012, 19:02
Working great with PS3 but not Xbox or WMP
Hi,

I am running Minimserver 0.63 on a Qnap TS412, having followed your very helpful and informative guide - thanks for that! I am also running Minimwatch on a Win7 pc. Also on the network (all wired) I have an Xbox 360 and PS3.

The PS3 works perfectly - I can see Minimserver, all of my albums and artists are listed and I can stream any of my music correctly. The Win7 pc can see Minimserver, but WMP only lists a very small selection of the artists / albums, and the ones that are listed have all of the tracks repeated multiple times (15 times in some albums). The Xbox 360 can't see Minimserver at all, so doesn't list anything, although it does find Twonky on the same QNAP.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2012, 08:26
RE: Working great with PS3 but not Xbox or WMP
(21-12-2012 19:02)postformac Wrote:  Hi,

I am running Minimserver 0.63 on a Qnap TS412, having followed your very helpful and informative guide - thanks for that! I am also running Minimwatch on a Win7 pc. Also on the network (all wired) I have an Xbox 360 and PS3.

The PS3 works perfectly - I can see Minimserver, all of my albums and artists are listed and I can stream any of my music correctly. The Win7 pc can see Minimserver, but WMP only lists a very small selection of the artists / albums, and the ones that are listed have all of the tracks repeated multiple times (15 times in some albums). The Xbox 360 can't see Minimserver at all, so doesn't list anything, although it does find Twonky on the same QNAP.

Any ideas? Thanks.

There's a note in this section about the problem with WMP. This is caused by the design of WMP, which attempts to preload the entire browse tree from the server. This is OK for a simple hierarchical browse tree, but it doesn't work with MinimServer because the browse tree contains multiple browse paths that lead to the same audio file. Eventually WMP runs out of resources and dies.

I'd be interested in investigating the Xbox 360 issue. As a start, please can you do the following:

1) Start MinimServer
2) From the minim icon, select 'Show log'
3) In the log window, change the logging level to Trace
4) Leave the log window open
5) Start the Xbox 360 and search for MinimServer
6) You should see some trace messages appear in the log window
7) Press 'Save as' to save the log file
8) Change the logging level back to Info
9) Zip the log file and attach it to a post here

If you don't see any messages in step 6, it would be necessary to run a Wireshark trace to find out what's happening.
22-12-2012, 15:03
Thanks very much for the response, that certainly explains the issue with WMP.

I get nothing at all in the trace window when powering on or searching for media servers on the XBox 360 (although note that the Xbox doesn't have any specific option to scan for servers like the PS3 does, it generally just picks them up when you go into the music player). With the PS3 I get messages both when powering on and when searching for servers.

I have never used Wireshark before so really have no idea what I am doing, but having just downloaded it and tried looking on my network it appears to me that the Xbox does send some kind of message out when going into the music player app. I had wireshark set to filter on my xbox IP (192.168.0.4), not sure if this was the right thing to do so please let me know if you want me to do the capture some other way, the log file is attached.

Thanks.

Attached File(s)
.zip  Xbox media server search.zip (Size: 4.85 KB / Downloads: 1)
22-12-2012, 16:45
The Xbox 360 expects a fixed browse tree:

http://code.google.com/p/jems/wiki/XBox360Notes
22-12-2012, 18:05
(22-12-2012 16:45)bubbleguuum Wrote:  The Xbox 360 expects a fixed browse tree:

isnt this the same related to samsung tv?
22-12-2012, 18:48

Thanks for this pointer. From this document, before the Xbox even gets as far as the browse tree, it seems to have special requirements for device and service naming. I'll update the MinimServer web page to say that the Xbox isn't compatible.
23-12-2012, 19:32
(22-12-2012 18:05)alexinc Wrote:  

isnt this the same related to samsung tv?

It isn't exactly the same. The Samsung TV was able to find MinimServer, but it couldn't browse the library contents.
23-12-2012, 22:16
Ok, guess it isn't going to work then. Thanks for the help guys.
23-12-2012, 22:38
(23-12-2012 22:16)postformac Wrote:  Ok, guess it isn't going to work then. Thanks for the help guys.

Sorry about that. It's unfortunate that some UPnP implementations impose additional interoperability requirements that go beyond the UPnP standards. The Xbox seems to be in that category.