Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Profiles for Minimserver
28-02-2017, 10:40
Profiles for Minimserver
I am using Minimserver to stream to various devices that have different capabilities.
Some are DoP capable, some do PCM to 384kHz, others to 192kHz and some to 96kHz.
Is there any way to define profiles in Minimserver that have different transcoding rules. It would be fine if the DLNA control point sees one instance of Minimserver for each profile, i.e.
- Minimserver DSD
- Miniserver 384
- Minimserver 192
- Minimserver 96
and I would need to chose the right one manually.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2017, 14:06
RE: Profiles for Minimserver
It isn't possible to do this at present.

If the profile settings were limited to transcoding options only, this might be possible but it would be a major change requiring a lot of work to implement. If the profile settings were to go beyond this to include things like indexTags, tagOptions or tagValue, I don't think it would be possible.
28-02-2017, 14:20
(28-02-2017 14:06)simoncn Wrote:  It isn't possible to do this at present.

If the profile settings were limited to transcoding options only, this might be possible but it would be a major change requiring a lot of work to implement. If the profile settings were to go beyond this to include things like indexTags, tagOptions or tagValue, I don't think it would be possible.

Thanks Simon, I'll try to find a workaround
01-03-2017, 19:38
Hi, I'm using Auto Hot Key to change some settings by automatisation of keystrokes and mouse clicks. If you wish I can send the 'program' to adapt to your own wishes.
01-03-2017, 21:25
You can also use MinimServer command scripting or the Web API (see this page) to change transcoding settings.
01-03-2017, 22:58
(01-03-2017 21:25)simoncn Wrote:  You can also use MinimServer command scripting or the Web API (see this page) to change transcoding settings.

Thanks, but that's a challenge with a steep learning curve Confused

I'll give it a try!
02-03-2017, 19:13
(28-02-2017 10:40)jacobacci Wrote:  I am using Minimserver to stream to various devices that have different capabilities.
Some are DoP capable, some do PCM to 384kHz, others to 192kHz and some to 96kHz.
Is there any way to define profiles in Minimserver that have different transcoding rules. It would be fine if the DLNA control point sees one instance of Minimserver for each profile, i.e.
- Minimserver DSD
- Miniserver 384
- Minimserver 192
- Minimserver 96
and I would need to chose the right one manually.

It is possible to run more than one instance of MinimServer on the same computer. Which would give you separate instances in your control point, and could be set with different transcoding rules.

I do find it hard to see what the point would be. I think that Chris Montogomery is right in arguing that there's no benefit in anything more that 16bit 48kHz for digital see: https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I realise that this is controversial, and I don't want to start a flame war. However, if you think that there might be some more information available, surely it won't require a frequency response above 40kHz, or a noise floor below 144dB, which is what you'd get from 96kHz/24bit, and if I understand correctly from your original question, you don't have a renderer that can't handle that, so using that should work for all your devices.

The only other observation about resampling, is that there are many ways of doing it, but there are mathematically correct ways, which is why the Sox Resampling library included with most more recent versions of ffmpeg would be a good choice. Assuming that it's available on your platform, then MinimServer allows you to specify it in your configuration.