Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Control point unable to access minimserver on PC
27-12-2016, 18:12
Control point unable to access minimserver on PC
I have a WesternDigitalCloudMirror NAS. My music library is on it. My control point is Linn Kazoo on an iPad. If I turn on the Twonky media server embedded in the WD NAS, I can access the library on the iPad - so I know Kazoo is working. I have loaded minimserver on my PC (Windows 10) and Kazoo on the PC can access my library on the WD NAS. However Kazoo on my iPad cannot see the minimserver. I tried network sharing the minimserver Program Files folders but this did not change anything. Does anyone know what I need to do to get my iPad to see minimserver?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2016, 18:39 (This post was last modified: 27-12-2016 18:50 by DavidHB.)
RE: Control point unable to access minimserver on PC
I have already responded on a similar query on another thread earlier today. The advice may be the same in this case also; it may be a network discovery issue. If the simple solution doesn't work, please let us know the make and model of your router.

There is also the possibility in this case that MinimServer is not working properly. Is MinimServer started on the PC, and can you see the green Minim icon in the notification area on the taskbar? If you can't see it, cick the up arrow in the area to show the hidden icons. Right-click on the icon and select the option to show the log. If there are no error messages, can Kazoo on the PC see the MinimServer instance on the PC? If the answer is 'yes', we are back to the network discovery issue.

David
28-12-2016, 15:07
(27-12-2016 18:39)DavidHB Wrote:  I have already responded on a similar query on another thread earlier today. The advice may be the same in this case also; it may be a network discovery issue. If the simple solution doesn't work, please let us know the make and model of your router.

There is also the possibility in this case that MinimServer is not working properly. Is MinimServer started on the PC, and can you see the green Minim icon in the notification area on the taskbar? If you can't see it, cick the up arrow in the area to show the hidden icons. Right-click on the icon and select the option to show the log. If there are no error messages, can Kazoo on the PC see the MinimServer instance on the PC? If the answer is 'yes', we are back to the network discovery issue.

David

I have already said that Kazoo on the PC can see MinimServer, and it works fine. MinimServer shows up in Windows Explorer as a Media Server. My network router can see my PC. There seems to be a configuration issue that does not allow my control point to see the MinimServer on the PC.
28-12-2016, 21:37
(28-12-2016 15:07)kendalltob Wrote:  I have already said that Kazoo on the PC can see MinimServer, and it works fine. MinimServer shows up in Windows Explorer as a Media Server. My network router can see my PC. There seems to be a configuration issue that does not allow my control point to see the MinimServer on the PC.

Ah. When you said that 'Kazoo on the PC can access my library on the WD NAS', you meant that Kazoo could see MinimServer? I am afraid that was not clear to me.

The 'configuration issue' is most likely (on the basis of previously reported problems and the behaviour of the system as you described it) to be related to network discovery, and specifically the feature known as 'multicast', where a device sends out messages advertising its presence on the network so that other devices can connect to it. Like all network protocols, multicast is controlled by your router. Routers have settings intended to prevent devices from flooding the network with multicast messages, but these controls are sometimes clumsily implemented. DLNA/UpnP devices seem to be particularly vulnerable to heavy-handed control of multicast.

I do not know which router you are using, and all routers seem to have their own particular way of controlling multicast, so I cannot make specific suggestions as to what settings you should change. However, if your router has a setting called 'IGMP snooping' (not a term one would immediately associate with 'multicast'), it is probably a good idea to turn that setting off. Also, with some routers, there are separate multicast settings for the wired and wireless sections of the network, so that is something you may wish to look out for as you review your router configuration.

David
29-12-2016, 10:36
(28-12-2016 21:37)DavidHB Wrote:  
(28-12-2016 15:07)kendalltob Wrote:  I have already said that Kazoo on the PC can see MinimServer, and it works fine. MinimServer shows up in Windows Explorer as a Media Server. My network router can see my PC. There seems to be a configuration issue that does not allow my control point to see the MinimServer on the PC.

Ah. When you said that 'Kazoo on the PC can access my library on the WD NAS', you meant that Kazoo could see MinimServer? I am afraid that was not clear to me.

The 'configuration issue' is most likely (on the basis of previously reported problems and the behaviour of the system as you described it) to be related to network discovery, and specifically the feature known as 'multicast', where a device sends out messages advertising its presence on the network so that other devices can connect to it. Like all network protocols, multicast is controlled by your router. Routers have settings intended to prevent devices from flooding the network with multicast messages, but these controls are sometimes clumsily implemented. DLNA/UpnP devices seem to be particularly vulnerable to heavy-handed control of multicast.

I do not know which router you are using, and all routers seem to have their own particular way of controlling multicast, so I cannot make specific suggestions as to what settings you should change. However, if your router has a setting called 'IGMP snooping' (not a term one would immediately associate with 'multicast'), it is probably a good idea to turn that setting off. Also, with some routers, there are separate multicast settings for the wired and wireless sections of the network, so that is something you may wish to look out for as you review your router configuration.

David

I have a Linksys Router WRT-1900ACS. It is a high end router but there is no reference to IGMP or even multicast in the manual. I tried hooking up a laptop to the network. Although it could see my host PC (with MinimServer on it), there was no appearance of MinimServer under Media Devices in the laptop's Windows Explorer. I tried enabling DLNA on the PC with no effect. I have a feeling that something needs to be changed in Windows or in MinimServer.
29-12-2016, 17:43
This might be an issue with the configuration of your Windows firewall. To check whether this is the cause of the problem, please completely disable the Windows firewall for both private and public networks. If this enables MinimServer to be seen, it means you need to add a firewall rule to allow inbound connections for Java Platform SE binary.
29-12-2016, 18:20
(29-12-2016 17:43)simoncn Wrote:  This might be an issue with the configuration of your Windows firewall. To check whether this is the cause of the problem, please completely disable the Windows firewall for both private and public networks. If this enables MinimServer to be seen, it means you need to add a firewall rule to allow inbound connections for Java Platform SE binary.

Hello,
You have hit the nail on the head. It is/was a firewall issue. Dropping the firewall allowed the MinimServer to be seen by my control point. Thanks a bunch!
Michael
20-02-2017, 03:20
(29-12-2016 17:43)simoncn Wrote:  This might be an issue with the configuration of your Windows firewall. To check whether this is the cause of the problem, please completely disable the Windows firewall for both private and public networks. If this enables MinimServer to be seen, it means you need to add a firewall rule to allow inbound connections for Java Platform SE binary.

Thank you, this too solved the disappearing minimserver at my client (Yamaha AVR using uPnP). I had updated my Java SE instance - and Windows 7 Firewall created a rule to block inbound connections for the new version. Previous Java SE updates had no such problem ... thanks a lot, MSFT.

I edited the new firewall rule to allow inbound for the latest Java SE version, and minimserver could now be seen again by the client.
23-02-2017, 16:58
(20-02-2017 03:20)usery Wrote:  

Thank you, this too solved the disappearing minimserver at my client (Yamaha AVR using uPnP). I had updated my Java SE instance - and Windows 7 Firewall created a rule to block inbound connections for the new version. Previous Java SE updates had no such problem ... thanks a lot, MSFT.

I edited the new firewall rule to allow inbound for the latest Java SE version, and minimserver could now be seen again by the client.

As is said the problem is with the firewall rule. However, the blame lies with Oracle for updating your Java installation by moving the Java executable files to a different location. Windows hasn't made any changes to your firewall rules. It's only sensible for firewall rules to require the complete path name of the file which requires the exception, so you're going to have to change the firewall rule every time you update Java.