Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Album artwork
21-02-2017, 21:20
Album artwork
Hi,

Ive recently got some folders from the new naim core ripper. The album artwork won't show on minimserver. The images are called "coverfront.png" .

They wouldn't recognise on synology media server either, but there is an option to update the image file recognition list on that server. When I added coverfront.png to the list, the images recognised perfectly.

Is there any way to get minimserver to read these image files? There are too many to rename each one. So can I enter the filename anywhere within the settings to make minimserver look for it?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2017, 23:44
RE: Album artwork
There is no MinimServer setting to do this.
21-02-2017, 23:50
Ok, thanks. Is there any chance of it being included in a future update as im sure more people may want to read these image files in future.
22-02-2017, 00:12
I am not sure why Naim chose to name these files in this way instead of following long-established conventions. I presume this will mean that these files also don't work with some other servers. I will investigate further and post back here when I have more information about this.
22-02-2017, 00:39
(21-02-2017 21:20)Mr Happy Wrote:  Hi,

Ive recently got some folders from the new naim core ripper. The album artwork won't show on minimserver. The images are called "coverfront.png" .

They wouldn't recognise on synology media server either, but there is an option to update the image file recognition list on that server. When I added coverfront.png to the list, the images recognised perfectly.

Is there any way to get minimserver to read these image files? There are too many to rename each one. So can I enter the filename anywhere within the settings to make minimserver look for it?

Thanks

Bulk rename?
22-02-2017, 10:24 (This post was last modified: 22-02-2017 10:54 by Mr Happy.)
Simoncn,
I agree that it seems silly for naim to use an unusual name that wont be recognised by others servers but they may be trying to make it difficult to switch away from their own server and keep the metadata complete. Most would probably accept the situation and stick with their naim server rather than try to find a solution. I read of quite a few people selling the old naim unitiserve once they had ripped their cd collection, so maybe naim are trying to stop a repeat of this? It would be great for myself and probably many others in the future if "coverfront.png" could be added to the minimserver list.

Rompolompo,
I cant do a bulk rename as far as I know (being a bit of a computer novice) because the metadata is naim written and as mentioned above, seems to follow their own rules and protocols. There are far too many folders to individually name.
22-02-2017, 16:26
(22-02-2017 10:24)Mr Happy Wrote:  Simoncn,
I agree that it seems silly for naim to use an unusual name that wont be recognised by others servers but they may be trying to make it difficult to switch away from their own server and keep the metadata complete. Most would probably accept the situation and stick with their naim server rather than try to find a solution. I read of quite a few people selling the old naim unitiserve once they had ripped their cd collection, so maybe naim are trying to stop a repeat of this? It would be great for myself and probably many others in the future if "coverfront.png" could be added to the minimserver list.

Rompolompo,
I cant do a bulk rename as far as I know (being a bit of a computer novice) because the metadata is naim written and as mentioned above, seems to follow their own rules and protocols. There are far too many folders to individually name.
If Naim really would want to lock its customers in, there are far better and more intelligent ways to do it. As Rompolompo says, a simple file rename will solve the issue in about 30 minutes including testing. Google for something like "file rename script" and you'll get plenty of hits.

More importantly, if Naim do not follow the standards here, where else in your metadata have they deviated? Is everything else looking the way you would expect?
22-02-2017, 18:09
Pepsican,
Everything else seems to be ok, just can't see the album cover art. Im not that great with computers so I think ill wait and see if simon can include "coverfront.png" in the minimserver list rather than risk messing things up completely by trying to rename all the files.
23-02-2017, 08:17
(22-02-2017 18:09)Mr Happy Wrote:  Pepsican,
Everything else seems to be ok, just can't see the album cover art. Im not that great with computers so I think ill wait and see if simon can include "coverfront.png" in the minimserver list rather than risk messing things up completely by trying to rename all the files.

Fair enough. Can you try one more thing though? If you rename one file to folder.png, can your Naim equipment still see the cover art? Note: you may have to reset the cache on your control point/Naim app to get a proper result. Curious to see whether Naim supports both methods or not.
23-02-2017, 08:56
Could you also try cover.png, which is currently recognised by MinimServer? Many thanks.