Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Support for daap
16-12-2012, 17:35
Support for daap
Hi Simon,
I have another feature request, which might be unique: What about having also the daap protocol supported, so I can use one server for upnp and daap clients.

The problem I have is, that my WHS (I still regret using this one instead of an scienology) used to have the firefly server on board. But unfortunatly the project is dead and therefore it didn't adapt to the recent changes of itunes.

One server for all might be something really special ;-).

Best regards,
Nils

P.S. - my logfiles are still clean after the changes on 0.5x - good job!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2012, 18:42
RE: Support for daap
Thanks for this suggestion.

According to the Wikipedia entry on DAAP:

The Digital Audio Access Protocol (DAAP) is the proprietary protocol introduced by Apple in its iTunes software to share media across a local network.

MinimServer implements open protocols and open industry standards. I think it's unlikely that I'd want to add support for a proprietary protocol.
17-12-2012, 08:30
Hello Simon,
I might be wrong, but it seems to me that there is an "open" answer: http://www.opendaap.org/. Please check. I will also take a look, whether open means really open in detail.

Best regards,
Nils
17-12-2012, 08:43
Hi Simon,
following the links from opendaap.org I ended up in http://sourceforge.net/projects/getittogether/. When I am home, I will check this project. This might be a point to start.

Nils
17-12-2012, 10:02
The DAAP protocol is not open. This project is open source, but it's implementing a proprietary protocol controlled by Apple.
17-12-2012, 19:57
Hi Simon, now I got your point. You're right one can't change that. So we can close this one.