Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At Work: Asset works, but not Minimserver 0.63
15-12-2012, 18:18
Question At Work: Asset works, but not Minimserver 0.63
Hi,
at home, on my WHS, I have Asset V4 and MinimServer 0.63, and in the same network, I have no problems playing music through either way.

Then I added routing from at-home (fixed IP) to at-work (fixed IP) through a VPN router, and at-work, on my iPhone with AirAV, I can see all my SONOS and Asset from at-home, but not MinimServer. I didn't try SONOS, but streaming from Asset works with no problem.

Why can't I stream from MinimServer?

J.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2012, 20:52
RE: At Work: Asset works, but not Minimserver 0.63
(15-12-2012 18:18)JoeBroesel Wrote:  Hi,
at home, on my WHS, I have Asset V4 and MinimServer 0.63, and in the same network, I have no problems playing music through either way.

Then I added routing from at-home (fixed IP) to at-work (fixed IP) through a VPN router, and at-work, on my iPhone with AirAV, I can see all my SONOS and Asset from at-home, but not MinimServer. I didn't try SONOS, but streaming from Asset works with no problem.

Why can't I stream from MinimServer?

J.

There are some problems with this, but they wouldn't cause the symptoms you're seeing. Have you set the MinimServer ohnet.port property to a fixed port number? The value 9791 should be OK.

After you've done this, you should be able to use MinimServer to browse your collection from work, but you won't see any album art from work and you won't be able to play anything from work. This is because MinimServer produces URIs containing the local IP address of your home server, not its internet IP address.

The correct solution is for MinimServer to produce URIs containing the local IP address for local clients and to produce URIs containing the internet IP address for remote clients. There would need to be a new property in MinimServer to specify the internet address.

Unfortunately it isn't possible for MinimServer to do this because of a limitation in the ohNet UPnP stack that MinimServer uses. This limitation means that MinimServer doesn't know which clients are local and which clients are remote. The ohNet developers have said they'll remove this limitation, but they haven't given me any timescale for this. I'll ping them for an update.
17-12-2012, 08:21
Hi,
changing the port number had no effect. (not connected)

I'll continue to use Asset.

J.
17-12-2012, 10:09
(17-12-2012 08:21)JoeBroesel Wrote:  Hi,
changing the port number had no effect. (not connected)

I'll continue to use Asset.

J.

Other MinimServer users have been able to browse their collection remotely, so I think this is probably a setup issue. At the moment, I don't think it's worth spending time solving the browsing problem because the ohNet technical issue would mean you couldn't play music remotely.

I've just sent a ping to the ohNet developers. If/when there's a new version of ohNet that supports this capability, we should revisit this discussion.