Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to populate ALBUMARTIST tag in Jriver from MinimServer
02-02-2017, 15:03 (This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 15:03 by kryton.)
How to populate ALBUMARTIST tag in Jriver from MinimServer
Hello.

I am using MinimServer and I am very satisfied with it. Very good DLNA media server. I have one question regarding tag ALBUMARTIST. When I am using JRiver as renderer and MinimServer as media server, field ALBUMARTIST is not populated in JRiver Library from MinimServer. I have this tag correctly filled up on all source audio tracks on MinimServer side.

I tried to define tagCUSTOM on MinimServer side but without success. Have you any recommendation for me?

I had problem also with tag COMPOSER but it was solved via Composer.displayRole={author}.

Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2017, 15:18
RE: How to populate ALBUMARTIST tag in Jriver from MinimServer
Do you have AlbumArtist.displayRole={artist} in tagCustom? If not, try adding it.
02-02-2017, 15:33
(02-02-2017 15:18)simoncn Wrote:  Do you have AlbumArtist.displayRole={artist} in tagCustom? If not, try adding it.

Yes, I have. Field Artist is on JRiver side populated correctly but field Album Artist is empty. There is only Jriver calculated field Album Artist (Auto) which JRiver calculate from other fields in case there is no original Album Artist populated.
02-02-2017, 15:53
With the tagCustom setting AlbumArtist.displayRole={artist}, MinimServer is sending <upnp:artist role="AlbumArtist"> to JRiver. You could ask on the JRiver forum whether JRiver should be recognising this as an AlbumArtist value.
02-02-2017, 22:06 (This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 22:07 by kryton.)
(02-02-2017 15:53)simoncn Wrote:  With the tagCustom setting AlbumArtist.displayRole={artist}, MinimServer is sending <upnp:artist role="AlbumArtist"> to JRiver. You could ask on the JRiver forum whether JRiver should be recognising this as an AlbumArtist value.

When AlbumArtist.displayRole={artist} is set, content of MinimServer field Album Artist is in Jriver copied to field Artist.

When AlbumArtist.displayRole={artist} is NOT set, content of MinimServer field Artist is in Jriver copied to field Artist.

JRiver field AlbumArtist is empty in both situations.
02-02-2017, 22:19
This means that JRiver is importing the Artist value from <upnp:artist> and is treating <upnp:artist role="AlbumArtist"> as if it were <upnp:artist> (i.e., it is ignoring the 'role' attribute). This is a bug in JRiver and it isn't possible for MinimServer to work around it.
05-02-2017, 12:29 (This post was last modified: 05-02-2017 12:32 by kryton.)
(02-02-2017 22:19)simoncn Wrote:  This means that JRiver is importing the Artist value from <upnp:artist> and is treating <upnp:artist role="AlbumArtist"> as if it were <upnp:artist> (i.e., it is ignoring the 'role' attribute). This is a bug in JRiver and it isn't possible for MinimServer to work around it.

I am discussing about it on JRiver forum at the end of this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.ph...618.0.html

There is interesting comment of AndrewFG:
The UPNP specification defines XML names for meta data fields to be passed in ContentDirectory:Browse or ContentDirectory:Search responses. Some of thes meta data field names are derived from a so called "Dublin Core" namespace (such as the AlbumArtist name cited by the OP), and when MC passes meta data to other CPs or to other instances of itself it does also use the UPNP / Dublin Core namespace. However due to limitations of the UPNP / Dublin Core namespace MC has to extend the namespace with some of its own proprietary field names. AlbumArtist is I think one such field where MC has to use a proprietary namespace extension. I am not sure quite why, but it would probably be something related to do with the "Various Artists" grouping conundrum.
Theoretically MC could possibly fix this. But they may not see it as a top priority. It would certainly be easier to change your server from minimserver to another instance of MC. And one would obviously get a far better integration MC to MC than from another DMS to MC.

There is also separate thread about this issue but there is no response so far:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.ph...235.0.html
05-02-2017, 16:50
AndrewFG also said:

And it is possible (I did not test it) that his point about MCs importing of tags from a 3rd party DMS may be true.

So it might be that this problem is a design limitation of MC rather than a bug.

You mentioned on the same thread that you are using MinimServer because of its support for Intelligent Browsing. You will not get this capability if you import a MinimServer library into MC. Instead, you will get the native MC way of doing browsing.
06-02-2017, 18:41
(05-02-2017 16:50)simoncn Wrote:  You mentioned on the same thread that you are using MinimServer because of its support for Intelligent Browsing. You will not get this capability if you import a MinimServer library into MC. Instead, you will get the native MC way of doing browsing.

Finale response from Jriver developer:
The logic in MC is to use the unsupported <upnp:albumartist> property if it exists. If not it uses the <upnp:artist role="AlbumArtist"> property.
The key piece follows. If the artist and album artist are the same we clear the album artist field.

------------------------------------------

My question regarding MinimServer is: Can I configure MinimServer to send AlbumArtist as <upnp:albumartist> property and Artist as <upnp:artist>????? Thanks in advance for answer.
06-02-2017, 18:51
(06-02-2017 18:41)kryton Wrote:  Finale response from Jriver developer:
The logic in MC is to use the unsupported <upnp:albumartist> property if it exists. If not it uses the <upnp:artist role="AlbumArtist"> property.
The key piece follows. If the artist and album artist are the same we clear the album artist field.

------------------------------------------

My question regarding MinimServer is: Can I configure MinimServer to send AlbumArtist as <upnp:albumartist> property and Artist as <upnp:artist>????? Thanks in advance for answer.

No, you can't, but it wouldn't help because of the "key piece". What happens if you set the AlbumArtist to something different from the Artist?