Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to deactivate Twonky on Melco N1A
27-01-2017, 14:06
RE: Unable to deactivate Twonky on Melco N1A
(27-01-2017 13:37)simoncn Wrote:  I think the first file is named minimserver.options but this is not certain from the screenshot because Windows Explorer is not showing the full name of the file. For example, the file might be named minimserver.OPTIONS and this would not work. I don't know why there is a second file named 'options' (though this shouldn't cause any problems). Can you post a screenshot from Mac Finder?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2017, 19:05
Photo RE: Unable to deactivate Twonky on Melco N1A
Simon - didn't know that I could do this and following this thread with interest.

I have checked my Melco folders and I have both of those files too. [Image: minimserver%20options.jpg]
27-01-2017, 19:59 (This post was last modified: 27-01-2017 19:59 by simoncn.)
I see the cause of the problem. The file minimserver.options has two bytes appended to the end. It is 19 bytes long rather than 17 bytes as in the zipped file that you attached. These extra bytes are presumably carriage return and line feed and would have been added when you edited the file on Windows.

I will update the Melco installer to ignore these extra bytes if present. This will fix the problem. For now, you can copy the 17-byte file from the zip file in your earlier post to the MinimServer/etc folder (with no further editing).
27-01-2017, 20:56
(27-01-2017 19:59)simoncn Wrote:  I see the cause of the problem. The file minimserver.options has two bytes appended to the end. It is 19 bytes long rather than 17 bytes as in the zipped file that you attached. These extra bytes are presumably carriage return and line feed and would have been added when you edited the file on Windows.

I will update the Melco installer to ignore these extra bytes if present. This will fix the problem. For now, you can copy the 17-byte file from the zip file in your earlier post to the MinimServer/etc folder (with no further editing).

Sorry to report Simon - but this still doesn't appear to work. Twonky is running in parallel...
28-01-2017, 13:06 (This post was last modified: 28-01-2017 13:27 by simoncn.)
I have checked the code that processes the minimserver.options file and it already handles an options file containing a carriage return character, so this is not the cause of the problem.

Are you using the latest 0.8.4.4 version of MinimServer?

Please power the N1 off and on. After it has finished starting MinimServer, copy the contents of the file MinimServer/minimserver-init.log and paste them here.
28-01-2017, 13:27
Yes - latest 0.8.4.4 version, options file 17 bytes, full power cycle. Baffled?
28-01-2017, 14:02
Here you go: contents of init-log :

Creating minimstart.conf file
Creating minimserver.defaults file
28-01-2017, 14:25
Thanks for your patience and persistence. I think we have established that your minimserver.options file is correct and the problem lies elsewhere.

I can see a situation in which this could happen. On my N1, Twonky starts before the MinimServer initialization script runs. This script looks for the Twonky process and kills the Twonky process if Twonky is running and the stoptwonky flag is set.

If for some reason the Twonky process has not yet started when the MinimServer initialization script runs, the script is unable to kill it. In this case, the Twonky process would start later and there is nothing to prevent it from continuing to run.

I think the next step is for me to send you a test build with additional monitoring of the Twonky process. This will establish whether this explanation of the problem is correct. If it is correct, I can think about how best to solve this timing problem. I will PM you when the test build is available.
28-01-2017, 14:45
Thanks Simon - that sounds plausible. Question though, If this is the case, why might my N1 Twonky process startup behaviour be different to what you experience on your N1?
28-01-2017, 18:43
I have tried this on my Mac PC.
Tried to edit the file Options. Was not allowed to, although I am the only user on the Mac.
Copied it.
Called the old one Optionsold.
Called Options Copy "Options".
Can edit and save fine!
Did this - found it was 18 bytes.
Got rid of the final carriage return.
Now 17 bytes.
Have not rebooted Melco yet to find out if still running.....

Donuk dark downtown York