Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple tags delimiter (e.g. Genre or Artist) syntax
19-12-2012, 01:19
RE: Multiple tags delimiter (e.g. Genre or Artist) syntax
(11-12-2012 10:38)simoncn Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 08:02)Rairwave Wrote:  I searched through this forum but I am a bit confused. What is the official delimiter that minimserver supports for adding multiple genre or artists tags?
Some posts mention // but in another post I read ; as delimiter. So should it be: R&B;Soul for multiple genre tags or R&B//Soul or R&B // Soul ?
What is the exact syntax that minimserver recognizes as separate tags?

Your confusion is understandable, because this whole area is very confused with a lot of variations between what different tagging programs write and what different media servers read. Sad

MinimServer doesn't support any delimiter character for multiple values. The values need to be entered using separate repeated tags as specified by the relevant tagging specifications. For example, to tag a FLAC file with multiple genres R&B and Soul, the file should contain two tags:

GENRE=R&B
GENRE=Soul

If you view this file in Mp3tag, you'll see the Genre value as R&B\\Soul because Mp3tag uses \\ (not //) to indicate multiple values. If you view this file in foobar2000, you'll see the Genre value as R&B;Soul because foobar2000 uses ; to indicate multiple values.

Some tagging programs don't support separate repeated tags for multiple values. Because of this, some servers (notably Twonky) introduced nonstandard delimiters as a workaround (or hack). MinimServer doesn't support these nonstandard approaches.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any further questions.
Hi Simon,
The above is clear but I have run into problems because I tried to use \\ as delimiter when using Easytag and you have seen the results in my log file. I hope I can get round to re-tagging using Puddletag which works like Mp3tag but is there a way of looking at the tags in console so I can see and check that the lines
GENRE=
GENRE=
exist in the file rather than using the "indirect" tagging programme? For example how do you examine the actual tags in file?
Budgie
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Multiple tags delimiter (e.g. Genre or Artist) syntax - Budgie - 19-12-2012 01:19