Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the control point need to be turned on allways??
03-12-2012, 08:43
Does the control point need to be turned on allways??
Happy with with the functionality so far with Minimserver. Like it a lot but there is one major problem that stops me from actually using it.

I have a Linn DS upnp renderer, and ipad with kinksy, chorusds and plugplayer as upnp control point and a synology nas with synology media server and minimserver installed together.

When I start with a clear linn ds (so no music assigned) and use kinsky and the synology media server, music plays fine as usual. No problems.

When I start with a clear linn ds (so no music assigned) and use kinksy and the minimserver, music loads and starts but after around 20 to 40 seconds the music stops. On the Linn DS I see a turning hourglass.

I have no idea why this happens but I am getting the impression that the control point needs to be allways running. Because when I keep 'playing' with the control point (adding music for example) the music keeps playing as well. But when the control point (ipad or ipod) goes to sleep, the music stops (turning hourglass).
Can somebody shed a light on this?
Does it have something to do with the 'dynamic' playlist functionality of minimserver? Or do I have a different problem?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2012, 11:34
RE: Does the control point need to be turned on allways??
(03-12-2012 08:43)Rairwave Wrote:  Happy with with the functionality so far with Minimserver. Like it a lot but there is one major problem that stops me from actually using it.

I have a Linn DS upnp renderer, and ipad with kinksy, chorusds and plugplayer as upnp control point and a synology nas with synology media server and minimserver installed together.

When I start with a clear linn ds (so no music assigned) and use kinsky and the synology media server, music plays fine as usual. No problems.

When I start with a clear linn ds (so no music assigned) and use kinksy and the minimserver, music loads and starts but after around 20 to 40 seconds the music stops. On the Linn DS I see a turning hourglass.

I have no idea why this happens but I am getting the impression that the control point needs to be allways running. Because when I keep 'playing' with the control point (adding music for example) the music keeps playing as well. But when the control point (ipad or ipod) goes to sleep, the music stops (turning hourglass).
Can somebody shed a light on this?
Does it have something to do with the 'dynamic' playlist functionality of minimserver? Or do I have a different problem?

When you start playing a track, the DS streams the music directly from MinimServer on the Synology, without the control point being involved. If the DS stops playing and displays an hourglass, this means that the DS has lost contact with the Synology and is no longer receiving the network stream.

Do you have some kind of power-saving setting enabled on the Synology to spin down the disks or enter sleep mode? It sounds like the Synology may be doing this while MinimServer is sending data to the DS. When you play with the control point, you're probably doing something to the Synology that keeps it awake. Also, the built-in media server probably has some internal way to tell the Synology that it's running and prevent the Synology from entering sleep mode. Please try disabling spindown/sleep mode on the Synology to see if that solves the problem.
22-12-2012, 22:32
This is not a server issue. All the controllers I have tested work this way. The app remains on even though you switch from app to app on the iPad, but the controller stops sending playlist information (next title to play) if it is not open when the current title is over. In fact, I have one setup that immediately goes to the next title if music has stopped when I reopen the app. You have to keep the controller app open and prevent the iPad from going to sleep. You can also reopen the controller app just before the current title finishes...
22-12-2012, 23:56
(22-12-2012 22:32)vortecjr Wrote:  This is not a server issue. All the controllers I have tested work this way. The app remains on even though you switch from app to app on the iPad, but the controller stops sending playlist information (next title to play) if it is not open when the current title is over. In fact, I have one setup that immediately goes to the next title if music has stopped when I reopen the app. You have to keep the controller app open and prevent the iPad from going to sleep. You can also reopen the controller app just before the current title finishes...

This isn't how the Linn DS works. The Linn DS holds a playlist that can play any number of tracks without the control point being active. For other UPnP renderers (music players), you're right that the control point needs to be active to enable the renderer to move from one track to the next.
23-12-2012, 00:55
(22-12-2012 23:56)simoncn Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 22:32)vortecjr Wrote:  This is not a server issue. All the controllers I have tested work this way. The app remains on even though you switch from app to app on the iPad, but the controller stops sending playlist information (next title to play) if it is not open when the current title is over. In fact, I have one setup that immediately goes to the next title if music has stopped when I reopen the app. You have to keep the controller app open and prevent the iPad from going to sleep. You can also reopen the controller app just before the current title finishes...

This isn't how the Linn DS works. The Linn DS holds a playlist that can play any number of tracks without the control point being active. For other UPnP renderers (music players), you're right that the control point needs to be active to enable the renderer to move from one track to the next.

I'm not able to try that app so I'll take your word for itSmile