Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazon Echo/ Alexa
28-01-2017, 16:41
RE: Amazon Echo/ Alexa
(28-01-2017 10:17)brantome Wrote:  I guess you meant that as a joke ...

I certainly did, AV forums can be horribly serious at times - just a little humour injection. Smile

It's an interesting concept if you can work around the background noise issue though.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2017, 01:27
(28-01-2017 16:41)BlueDog Wrote:  

I certainly did, AV forums can be horribly serious at times - just a little humour injection. Smile

It's an interesting concept if you can work around the background noise issue though.

Indeed, too many po-faced people around - keep it laughs as my dear departed mother would say Smile

I'm finding the remote quite useful so far and a help overcoming having to shout over loud music, although it does need more testing. Now where's that Airborne Toxic Event track Sometime Around Midnight that I always play at volume 11....
29-01-2017, 02:03
(29-01-2017 01:27)brantome Wrote:  

Indeed, too many po-faced people around - keep it laughs as my dear departed mother would say Smile

I'm finding the remote quite useful so far and a help overcoming having to shout over loud music, although it does need more testing. Now where's that Airborne Toxic Event track Sometime Around Midnight that I always play at volume 11....

Have you got the alexa remote for the fire tv already then? I didn't think it was available until 31 Jan? Or are you in the US/not in the UK?
29-01-2017, 02:22
(27-01-2017 20:17)Cebolla Wrote:  
(27-01-2017 18:42)Martin H Wrote:  I am not sure I am explaining this well here but is it still your opinion that this is not an area that Minimserver will extend? I must admit to finding voice control enticing but at the same time I would be very reluctant to move away from your server product. I am sure over coming year or so this will play itself out but interested in your view.
In well designed systems, semantics is usually the key to determine what component is required to perform a particular function. Voice control is obviously control point functionality and nothing to do with media file serving - it's in the name!

Best ask the designer of your favoured UPnP/DLNA controller app for his/her opinion on this matter.

Things are rarely black or white and although I understand (and had understood beforehand) the definitions I believe the world is likely heading towards a more greyish colour. For the developer it is essential that they never lose sight of that separation while programming. The consumer never cared in the first place - they just want it to work. My question was not one of principle or design, it was more about commercial risk or opportunity.

I have the answer.
29-01-2017, 09:46
(29-01-2017 02:03)Martin H Wrote:  
(29-01-2017 01:27)brantome Wrote:  

Have you got the alexa remote for the fire tv already then? I didn't think it was available until 31 Jan? Or are you in the US/not in the UK?

Talking about the current echo voice remote, not the fire tv variant, although I'm not sure what the one you're talking about will do, even after reading the Amazon.com site. Up until now, I've considered the two remotes to be entirely different, but the new one might be a v2 of the current echo voice remote that doubles up. If I hadn't just bought the Echo remote, I might have waited till the 31st...
29-01-2017, 09:54
(27-01-2017 20:17)Cebolla Wrote:  
(27-01-2017 18:42)Martin H Wrote:  I am not sure I am explaining this well here but is it still your opinion that this is not an area that Minimserver will extend? I must admit to finding voice control enticing but at the same time I would be very reluctant to move away from your server product. I am sure over coming year or so this will play itself out but interested in your view.
In well designed systems, semantics is usually the key to determine what component is required to perform a particular function. Voice control is obviously control point functionality and nothing to do with media file serving - it's in the name!

Best ask the designer of your favoured UPnP/DLNA controller app for his/her opinion on this matter.

As I said on the thread on the Linn forum, maybe voice control is a new paradigm and the structure of the media server is no longer important i.e. you'll directly ask for tracks by a particular artist, for example, rather than navigating a media server's 'virtual' folder hierarchy.
29-01-2017, 10:31
(29-01-2017 09:54)brantome Wrote:  As I said on the thread on the Linn forum, maybe voice control is a new paradigm and the structure of the media server is no longer important i.e. you'll directly ask for tracks by a particular artist, for example, rather than navigating a media server's 'virtual' folder hierarchy.

This makes sense to me. However, it would still be possible for this new type of front end to interface to a media server using UPnP or something similar.
29-01-2017, 12:29
(29-01-2017 10:31)simoncn Wrote:  
(29-01-2017 09:54)brantome Wrote:  As I said on the thread on the Linn forum, maybe voice control is a new paradigm and the structure of the media server is no longer important i.e. you'll directly ask for tracks by a particular artist, for example, rather than navigating a media server's 'virtual' folder hierarchy.

This makes sense to me. However, it would still be possible for this new type of front end to interface to a media server using UPnP or something similar.

I take your point, but given that Amazon Alexa skills are cloud based, and UPnP I understand is primarily an open unauthenticated protocol, port forwarding from the cloud to your local network and some form of authentication is needed, otherwise there'd be a danger of anyone outside your home network accessing your UPnP service. House Band uses the JMC media server token to ensure that the traffic securely gets to the right server/ service, using I guess JMC web services via their WebGizmo route rather than UPnP requests. Therefore I suspect a generic UPnP Alexa cloud skill might be impractical.
29-01-2017, 14:14 (This post was last modified: 29-01-2017 14:21 by DavidHB.)
(29-01-2017 12:29)brantome Wrote:  ... Amazon Alexa skills are cloud based, and UPnP I understand is primarily an open unauthenticated protocol, port forwarding from the cloud to your local network and some form of authentication is needed ... Therefore I suspect a generic UPnP Alexa cloud skill might be impractical.

UPnP can be used now to access streaming services requiring authentication; most streamers have this capability, and many control points support it. UPnP also provides the messaging protocol for DLNA. This suggests that there is no fundamental obstacle in the protocols to having voice based commands replace or supplement a touch screen when using a UPnP control point. My guess is that such functionality, if it appears, will do so first using the voice activation features of particular platforms (Siri, Cortana etc.) before migrating to proprietary devices. I'd think that the biggest obstacle to using Alexa as an interface is that Amazon have always been reluctant to allow any from of access from their information base to non-Amazon information or sales sites; the Amazon site is a hyperlink black hole.

The other point is that it is in our interests as users to support open rather than closed systems when making choices about which platforms to buy and use. Closed systems can disappear and leave users high and dry (look what happened to Squeezebox), and some of our favourite applications (including MinimServer) only exist because they can use open systems infrastructure.

David
29-01-2017, 16:14
(29-01-2017 14:14)DavidHB Wrote:  
(29-01-2017 12:29)brantome Wrote:  ... Amazon Alexa skills are cloud based, and UPnP I understand is primarily an open unauthenticated protocol, port forwarding from the cloud to your local network and some form of authentication is needed ... Therefore I suspect a generic UPnP Alexa cloud skill might be impractical.

UPnP can be used now to access streaming services requiring authentication; most streamers have this capability, and many control points support it. UPnP also provides the messaging protocol for DLNA. This suggests that there is no fundamental obstacle in the protocols to having voice based commands replace or supplement a touch screen when using a UPnP control point. My guess is that such functionality, if it appears, will do so first using the voice activation features of particular platforms (Siri, Cortana etc.) before migrating to proprietary devices. I'd think that the biggest obstacle to using Alexa as an interface is that Amazon have always been reluctant to allow any from of access from their information base to non-Amazon information or sales sites; the Amazon site is a hyperlink black hole.

The other point is that it is in our interests as users to support open rather than closed systems when making choices about which platforms to buy and use. Closed systems can disappear and leave users high and dry (look what happened to Squeezebox), and some of our favourite applications (including MinimServer) only exist because they can use open systems infrastructure.

David
David, thanks for the update, I wasn't aware of that (obviously) and take your point re open systems.

However, I don't understand the point re Amazon being the biggest obstacle - surely the existence of the House Band skill, albeit being restricted to JMC, shows that Amazon is open to hosting skills such as that, further evidenced by the existence of 'third party' custom skills for smart home suppliers, which already rely on communicating using open web protocols to locally installed devices?

From your opening paragraph, I now don't see why someone couldn't develop an Alexa secure generic UPNP skill.

Cheers