Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-scanning after NAS drive file re-arrangements
29-01-2017, 23:11
Re-scanning after NAS drive file re-arrangements
HELP!

I have a Synology DS216 NAS drive and a Naim network player. With the help of the very knowledgeable salesman, I was able to get the system up and running, and it works great.

My computer is running Windows 10.

The Synology DSM version is 6.0.2-8451 update 7.

The MinimServer is version 0.8.4 update 96.

When I first set up the Synology drive with MinimServer, it scanned just fine and the Naim app on my iPad showed all of the files just as they appeared on the NAS drive. No problem there.

But I have re-arranged the files somewhat since then, because iTunes sent some of the files I ripped into some folders that are unnecessarily complicated and I wanted to simplify the folder hierarchy a little bit. All I did was to rearrange the files using Windows Explorer.

When I click on the "Rescan" button, the status changes to "restarting" but nothing happens, even after leaving it alone for an hour or more. The Naim app doesn't see any changes to my library even though the Synology DSM file manager does correctly show the changes I made.

So what am I doing wrong? In replying, please use low-level wording. I'm an aeronautical engineer, only medium computer-savvy and not likely to understand if you launch off into a high-level computer-expert reply to my question.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2017, 23:32
RE: Re-scanning after NAS drive file re-arrangements
It sounds like you are doing the MinimServer status web page to do the rescan. This page doesn't refresh automatically. At the top of the page, it says something like "This page was last updated at 22:20:14 on 29 Jan 2017" which indicates that the status information was correct at that time.

There is a button on the page named 'Refresh status'. Clicking this button will show the current status and update the "last updated" time.

You might consider installing MinimWatch on another computer. This provides real-time updates on the rescanning/restarting status and also enables you to configure various MinimServer settings. MinimWatch isn't essential but it is very useful. See ths page for more information.

This doesn't explain why you aren't seeing the changes in the Naim app. Have you refreshed the browse tree in the Naim app by returning to the top-level menu? This should be enough to make the app update its view of the library but in some cases it can help if you also clear the UPnP cache in the Naim app.
30-01-2017, 00:02
(29-01-2017 23:32)simoncn Wrote:  It sounds like you are doing the MinimServer status web page to do the rescan. This page doesn't refresh automatically. At the top of the page, it says something like "This page was last updated at 22:20:14 on 29 Jan 2017" which indicates that the status information was correct at that time.

There is a button on the page named 'Refresh status'. Clicking this button will show the current status and update the "last updated" time.

You might consider installing MinimWatch on another computer. This provides real-time updates on the rescanning/restarting status and also enables you to configure various MinimServer settings. MinimWatch isn't essential but it is very useful. See ths page for more information.

This doesn't explain why you aren't seeing the changes in the Naim app. Have you refreshed the browse tree in the Naim app by returning to the top-level menu? This should be enough to make the app update its view of the library but in some cases it can help if you also clear the UPnP cache in the Naim app.
30-01-2017, 00:08
(29-01-2017 23:32)simoncn Wrote:  It sounds like you are doing the MinimServer status web page to do the rescan. This page doesn't refresh automatically. At the top of the page, it says something like "This page was last updated at 22:20:14 on 29 Jan 2017" which indicates that the status information was correct at that time.

I clearly don't understand the difference between the 'refresh status' and the 'rescan' buttons. Do I understand from the above that to cause MinimServer to do a new scan of the music files on the NAS that I should click the 'refresh status' page?
30-01-2017, 09:28 (This post was last modified: 30-01-2017 09:28 by simoncn.)
(30-01-2017 00:08)MaltbyWalt Wrote:  I clearly don't understand the difference between the 'refresh status' and the 'rescan' buttons. Do I understand from the above that to cause MinimServer to do a new scan of the music files on the NAS that I should click the 'refresh status' page?

No, it is the other way round. 'Rescan' causes a rescan to start. 'Refresh status' shows the current status of MinimServer (e.g., restarting, running, error).
31-01-2017, 02:20
(30-01-2017 09:28)simoncn Wrote:  
(30-01-2017 00:08)MaltbyWalt Wrote:  I clearly don't understand the difference between the 'refresh status' and the 'rescan' buttons. Do I understand from the above that to cause MinimServer to do a new scan of the music files on the NAS that I should click the 'refresh status' page?

No, it is the other way round. 'Rescan' causes a rescan to start. 'Refresh status' shows the current status of MinimServer (e.g., restarting, running, error).

Thanks very much, Simon, for your patient assistance. Yes, dumping the Naim cache did clear the problem so now I'm okay with how to keep the system up to date with any changes/additions/deletions I make.

This begs two questions:

----- how do I know when a rescan is completed?

----- how do I get into the MinimServer system to make, for example, changes to the properties? There is no MinimServer icon on the start menu of my computer, and accessing MinimServer from its icon in the Synology DSM software offers me only the status page, nothing more.

Sorry for such newbie questions ...
31-01-2017, 07:46 (This post was last modified: 31-01-2017 07:47 by simoncn.)
I'm pleased to hear the problem is solved now.

To see when a rescan is completed, you can click 'Refresh status' every minute or so until the status changes from 'restarting' to 'running'.

Alternatively (and much preferred), you can install MinimWatch and use it for rescanning. I mentioned MinimWatch in a previous post.

The only way to change properties is by using MinimWatch. The status web page is intended to get you up and running for the first time.
31-01-2017, 13:02
Can I add to this thread

I am running Minimserver on a Pi with my music files on a windows network PC.

When I reboot my Pi, I have found how to reconnect automatically to the windows mount by raspi-config delaying the Pi re-boot until network connection is established (otherwise I had to re-establish the connection by typing in again the mount command)

My problem is that I can then see no alternative to completely rescanning (using MinimWatch). Because of a large music collection this takes several hours. Doesn't my Minimserver on my Pi retain the information from the previous scan?
31-01-2017, 13:35 (This post was last modified: 31-01-2017 13:36 by simoncn.)
(31-01-2017 13:02)Alan Robinson Wrote:  Can I add to this thread

I am running Minimserver on a Pi with my music files on a windows network PC.

When I reboot my Pi, I have found how to reconnect automatically to the windows mount by raspi-config delaying the Pi re-boot until network connection is established (otherwise I had to re-establish the connection by typing in again the mount command)

My problem is that I can then see no alternative to completely rescanning (using MinimWatch). Because of a large music collection this takes several hours. Doesn't my Minimserver on my Pi retain the information from the previous scan?

It depends on how you are mounting the Windows share and also on the order and timing of the various steps in the reboot and startup process.

This simplest solution is to set the startupScan property to false. With this setting, starting MinimServer will not scan your files but will restore the library to what it was when MinimServer was shut down before the reboot happened. After this, you can do a manual rescan when you add new music.
31-01-2017, 14:03 (This post was last modified: 31-01-2017 14:19 by Alan Robinson.)
Thanks. I've reset startupScan to false. I'll wait until the current scan has run its course and have a go at re-booting my Pi

THANK YOU. A reboot does now take over 1 minute but I'm back with my previous library almost straight away after