Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One artist being sorted by last name
09-05-2023, 22:14 (This post was last modified: 09-05-2023 22:15 by redged.)
One artist being sorted by last name
Hello

I have just noticed that I have one artist out of thousands being sorted by their last name and not like everyone else by their first name. I am pretty certain this has only recently happened but have no idea why as I have not altered any settings.

The artist is David Bowie and all 20+ albums are in the 'B' section along side the likes of Bob Dylan etc.

Any ideas what I can try to rectify?

As always thanks in advance for any help given.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2023, 10:04
RE: One artist being sorted by last name
When you do a rescan, is there a warning message about this artist in the MinimServer log?
10-05-2023, 19:56 (This post was last modified: 10-05-2023 19:56 by redged.)
Hello Simon

No there is no warning regarding this artist (David Bowie).

As always thanks in advance

Attached File(s)
.log  minimserver.log (Size: 4.87 KB / Downloads: 1)
10-05-2023, 20:26
Thanks for confirming this.

Please post your property settings. The simplest way to do this is to use the Profiles tab of the MinimServer configuration web page to view your active profile and copy and paste what you see there.

Also, are you seeing the problem in the Artist index, the AlbumArtist index or the All Artists index? If it shows in the Artist index but not the All Artists index, this could be because you are seeing an AlbumArtist tag value for David Bowie rather than an Artist tag value.
10-05-2023, 20:34
Hello Simon

It is happening in all 3, Artist index, the AlbumArtist index and the All Artists index.

Thanks

My settings are;

aliasTags = Discsubtitle:Group
alphaGroup = Artist, All Artists
contentDir = /volume1/Music/Music
displayName = Music
indexTags = *RecentAdded, Artist, All Artists, AlbumArtist=Various Artists:Compilations, Comment=Live:Live, Albums, Mediatype, Genre, +Date
itemTags = AlbumArtistSort, ArtistSort, Albumsort
serverOptions = indexArtwork=folder, showAllDiscs=true, recentAdded=1000
stream.transcode = flac:wav24
tagFormat = Comment.displayFormat={$*infoFileURI^<a href="^">Digital Booklet</a>$comment}
tagOptions = Artist.ignore.sort={The}, AlbumArtist.ignore.sort={The}, Album.ignore.sort={The}, Album.sortTags={Artist, Date}, Date.decade.index
tagUpdate = sort.txt
tagValue = AlbumArtist.value.sort={AlbumArtistSort}, Artist.value.sort={ArtistSort}, Album.value.sort={Albumsort}
.profileVersion = 2.2
10-05-2023, 20:49
Thanks for this. It looks like there might be AlbumArtistSort and/or ArtistSort tags somewhere in your library with the value "Bowie, David".

The easiest way to check this is to temporarily remove AlbumArtistSort and ArtistSort from itemTags and add them to indexTags, then restart MinimServer. You will then be able to look in the AlbumArtistSort and ArtistSort indexes to see if the value "Bowie, David" appears and which files contain this value.
10-05-2023, 21:11
Hello Simon

I have done this but a search for 'Bowie, David' returns nil results. Is there anything else I can do to try and locate the problem files?

Thanks
10-05-2023, 21:24
When you refer to "search", do you mean a search from your control point or are you opening the AlbumArtistSort and ArtistSort indexes and browsing their contents? The latter is what you need to do.

The other thing you can do is to set the writeAllTags property and do a rescan. This will write a complete list of all tag values in your library to a file that you have specified. You can then look at this file and see what AlbumArtistSort and ArtistSort values are present in your library.
10-05-2023, 21:50 (This post was last modified: 10-05-2023 22:26 by redged.)
Apoligies Simon

I have now found the files and am in the process of sorting out. This has also identified a few more which due to my OCD will require fixing.

I never realised that 'artistsort' was an independent tag and thought it was a computer writing error in my artist catagory.

Many thanks again Simon

Ged