Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dumb question re how minimserver works
07-10-2016, 16:56 (This post was last modified: 07-10-2016 17:06 by Cebolla.)
RE: Dumb question re how minimserver works
(06-10-2016 22:36)DavidHB Wrote:  This is interesting. I was only previously aware of the 3 box model. To refresh my memory, I looked up this Wikipedia article, which provides a list of UPnP components. None of the components listed there seems to fit the DMP concept; do you have a reference to the definition of the 'combined' component?
Mmm, Wikipedia always to be taken with a pinch of salt. Case in point, its opening line for the description of the UPnP AV MediaServer device: 'A UPnP AV media server is the UPnP-server ("master" device)' - such an obvious oxymoron to start with, how can you trust the rest?

Anyway, back to the actual reference, the UPnP AV Architecture document, v2:
http://www.upnp.org/specs/av/UPnP-av-AVA...101231.pdf,
sourced from the Open Connectivity Foundation (maintainers of the UPnP specs via its UPnP Work Group) webpage containing the latest spec docs concerning the MediaServer & MediaRenderer devices:
https://openconnectivity.org/upnp/specif...arenderer3
Section 3.3.1 (p.15) describes the 2-Box control point with Decoder model I mentioned.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2016, 22:38 (This post was last modified: 11-10-2016 22:38 by simoncn.)
(06-10-2016 22:17)DavidHB Wrote:  This is understood; in fact, I said that OpenHome implements gapless playback, not that it mandates it. That said, are you aware of any native OpenHome devices (i.e those that have OpenHome built in, rather than those created by BubbleUPnP Server) that do not provide gapless playback?

The Melco N1 USB-DAC renderer did this when originally released. Gapless support was added in a later firmware update.
12-10-2016, 10:51
(11-10-2016 22:38)simoncn Wrote:  The Melco N1 USB-DAC renderer did this when originally released. Gapless support was added in a later firmware update.

Thanks, Simon. That is interesting.

David