Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can max sample rate be specified?
10-09-2016, 02:54
Can max sample rate be specified?
Is it possible to tell MinimStreamer to convert anything above double rate down? For example, to convert flac192 to flac96 or wav96, and so on?

(I have a new equalizer that maxes out at 96 kHz. It is so useful that I am happy to live with that limit, but I'd rather not have to convert files with f > 96kHz manually.)

Also, I'm not sure I understand the difference between L24 and wav24. They are different formats? Which one is an average renderer more likely to deal with successfully?

Thanks!

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2016, 09:21
RE: Can max sample rate be specified?
At present, it isn't possible to select transcoding based on the sample rate of the input stream. I am hoping to add support for this in the future.

The wav24 format is more widely supported by renderers than the L24 format. The only advantange of L24 is that there is no limit to the size of the stream, whereas WAV streams must be less than 4GB. This can be an issue when transcoding live radio streams.
10-09-2016, 16:47
Thank you, Simon! Your ongoing efforts are much appreciated.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
23-11-2016, 22:33
Simon,

Could I add a +1 to this request. I would like to down sample anything above a certain bitrate only. This could be achieved by adding a '-' symbol such as flac:wav24;-96 meaning only down sample. Of course you will have other ideas about the UI.

The reason I would like this feature is that my crapy network based on homeplugs struggles with higher bitrates. Streaming is working fine with the conversion that you offer at the moment but it seems 'wasteful' to up sample files unnecessarily and I wonder if it has a detrimental effect on the sound quality.

A continued BIG thanks for your brilliant work.
David
17-12-2016, 22:32
This feature is available now. To use it, you need to update to MinimServer update 92 and MinimWatch 0.6. For instructions on how to set it up, see this section.
19-12-2016, 21:51
Simon: Thanks for doing this!. It's very useful!

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to know a little about the resampling algorithm in use?

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
19-12-2016, 23:02
(19-12-2016 21:51)Mike48 Wrote:  Simon: Thanks for doing this!. It's very useful!

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to know a little about the resampling algorithm in use?

It is whatever ffmpeg does. You can enable libsoxr (if available), in which case it is whatever llibsoxr does.
20-12-2016, 04:24 (This post was last modified: 20-12-2016 05:12 by Mike48.)
Thanks, Simon. Given the high reputation of sox, I tried putting this

convOut=-af aresample=resampler=soxr

into the stream.options entry field of MinimWatch. This lead to the error 'convOut setting incorrect for converter'. Unfortunately, to me the Synology DS414 I use is somewhat a black box, so I wonder if you can give further hints. Do I need to install sox myself? I don't find a Synology package but perhaps could install an SSH client if that would help me install it manually.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
20-12-2016, 08:35
You need a version of ffmpeg that is built with libsoxr. The simplest way to install this is to download a static build from this page and put the ffmpeg file in the MinimServer opt/bin directory (see this section). For the DS414, you need the armhf build.

After copying the ffmpeg file to the Synology, you need to do the following to make the file executable so that MinimStreamer can use it:

1) Use Synology File Station to view the file
2) Right-click the file and select Properties
3) In the Properties dialog, select the Permission tab
4) Select Everyone and click Edit
5) In the Read section, enable Traverse folders/Execute files and click OK
20-12-2016, 18:40
(20-12-2016 08:35)simoncn Wrote:  You need a version of ffmpeg that is built with libsoxr. The simplest way to install this ...

Simon, many thanks for explaining it in detail. I got it done.

Before your explanation, the only procedures I found called for installing ipkg first. While that may not be a bad thing, it proved frustrating in its own right, leading to the sort of computer-spiral in which achieving A (which you don't know how to do) requires first achieving B (which turns out to require even more specialized knowledge).

Well -- it's installed now and working fine. Thank you again!

Mike

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA