Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer -> UAPP -> Mojo (DSD Issue)
27-08-2016, 11:45 (This post was last modified: 27-08-2016 11:45 by jacobacci.)
MinimServer -> UAPP -> Mojo (DSD Issue)
Hi all
I would like to stream DSD64, 128 and 256 files from my Synology NAS via a Samsung S4 to a Chord Mojo, which is capable of playing these file types. My setup is as follows:

Synology DS1815+
MinimServer 0.8.4 with MinimStreamer - no transcoding enabled

Samsung S4
UAPP latest version, DSD over PCM checked

OTG cable

Chord Mojo

Playing PCM files all the way to 24bit/384kHz works fine.
DSD64 files play back in good quality, but are reported by the Mojo as 176.4kHz
DSD128 files play back in good quality, but are reported by the Mojo as 352.8kHz
DSD256 files play back in good quality, but are reported by the Mojo as 705.6kHz

As the Chord Mojo only reports samplerates with a color of the LED and I was not too sure about the bitrate it reported (it definitely did not report native DSD), I connected the S4 to a Weiss DAC 202+ (which is capable of DoP on its USB input) and it reports the signal samplerate in clear text. It also reported 176.4 etc. kHz for the DSF files, not DSD

I have tried all possible combinations. Transcoding to DoP on Minimserver on the NAS, turning DoP on and off on UAPP, but I always get PCM on the DAC. Where could I be going off course?

I have posted this question previously on the UAPP Forum

where I got the following response:

"There are two issues here: minimstreamer is set up to transcode by default, but if it is set up not to transcode, it will remove the DSD header from the file when serving it over http. If it didn't do that, it should have worked I think."

Could anyone shed some light on how I need to setup MinimServer to make streaming DSD from my NAS to the Mojo work?

Thanks a lot.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2016, 12:18
RE: MinimServer -> UAPP -> Mojo (DSD Issue)
The information about MinimStreamer removing DSD headers is not correct. If transcoding is not selected, the exact contents of the DSF or DFF file are streamed.

It sounds like the Mojo is reporting the sample rate of the DoP-encoded PCM stream. This would be 176.4kHz for DSD64, 352.8kHz for DSD128 and 705.6kHz for DSD256. You could query this with the Chord support team.
27-08-2016, 14:33
Hi Simon
thanks for getting back.
The Mojo reports a DoP datastream with a white light. All PCM datastreams are colored lights, the color depending on the samplerate.
When I stream DSF files in the described way, the Chord's indicator light is magenta, which is 352.8 PCM. Definitely not white. Sometimes it's hard to tell between light and darker magenta, but white is very easy to differentiate.
I'm a bit stuck.
27-08-2016, 15:05
Done a bit more searching and it looks like MinimServer is not the culprit.
I have now used my PC with jRiver MC to access MinimServer on the NAS and play tracks to the Mojo connected through USB. DSF files register on the Mojo with a white light that is very different from the shades of blue when I play 192kHz or 352.8kHz PCM files.
So MinimServer seems to be doing its job correctly. I suspect that the issue is with UAPP on the phone.