Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound quality differences between NAS units
13-09-2016, 11:48
RE: Sound quality differences between NAS units
(13-09-2016 10:55)simoncn Wrote:  
(12-09-2016 22:30)ac16161 Wrote:  But, via the Synology media server on the 214 (running DSM 6), FLAC files without transcoding are very close to native WAV streamed directly from my PC through Minimserver, whereas via Minimserver on the Synology the difference in SQ is quite obvious.

I'm not quite clear on what comparisons you have made. As I understand it, your preferences are (in this order):

WAV without transcoding from MinimServer on Windows PC
FLAC without transcoding from Synology Media Server on Synology DS214+
FLAC without transcoding from MinimServer on Synology DS214+

Have you tried the following:

WAV without transcoding from MinimServer on Synology DS214+
FLAC with transcoding to WAV from MinimServer on Synology DS214+

Sorry if not clear. When running Minimserver on the Synology, it does not matter whether I stream FLAC natively, with transcoding, or WAV natively, there is a harsh quality to vocals to the extent I would not use it as my main server. Native WAV on the Synology via Minimserver is better than FLAC with/without transcoding but the harshness is still there, but when I switch to FLAC via Synology's media server the harshness goes away and vocals have real presence. I've not tried transcoding via the Synology own-brand server. Switching to the PC Minimserver adds a small degree of "polish" compared to the Synology own-brand media server, whereas the difference is very obvious compared to the Synology/Minimserver combo.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2016, 20:36
Does setting the resourceInfo property to 999 do anything to the buffering? Unless I'm losing my marbles, the all-pervading sense of brittleness in the sound via the Synology has gone when I make this change.
13-09-2016, 22:27
(13-09-2016 20:36)ac16161 Wrote:  Does setting the resourceInfo property to 999 do anything to the buffering? Unless I'm losing my marbles, the all-pervading sense of brittleness in the sound via the Synology has gone when I make this change.

I presume you found this in an old thread. The different buffering approach when using this setting was removed some time ago and there is now no difference at all.
13-09-2016, 22:36
Thanks, perception is such a suggestible phenomenon! Either way, think I'll stop tinkering now and start enjoying the music :-)
27-09-2016, 10:38
Hi,

I have observed the following differences:

1. Run two different NAS with the same Minim-configuration in parallel so that you can switch instantly (blindfolded): There's a notable difference in sound quality.
2. Use SSDs instead of HDDs: A real difference. Not always positively in favor of the SSDs.
3. The power supply to the NAS makes a huge difference. Replacing the switched power supply with a linear one leads to improved sound quality. In particular high spike current SSDs within the NAS benefit from this change. Cost, in particular if self-built, is very low and the improvement notable.

Regards, SMSWAP