Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Qnap for Minim Server?
20-11-2012, 00:07
Which Qnap for Minim Server?
Hi,

In the process of buying a suitable NAS for my Naim NDX streamer, and came across MinimServer as a way of having a good server software resident on a NAS, as I don't want to commit a PC/Mac to that duty full time, nor leave it on constantly.

I was pleased to find it will run on Qnap NASs, but wondered, since I'll actually be buying the NAS for this purpose, whether any particular model will run Minim better?

I was considering a Qnap TS-219P II, or maybe a TS-419P II, will these run Minim reliably and with all features? I'm particularly interested in Minim transcoding Flac to Wav on the fly, but don't know if the processor, etc. in these models will cope with this...

Any info and/or advice very gratefully accepted before I part with cash on the NAS!

Cheers,

James
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2012, 00:29
RE: Which Qnap for Minim Server?
(20-11-2012 00:07)3dit0r Wrote:  Hi,

In the process of buying a suitable NAS for my Naim NDX streamer, and came across MinimServer as a way of having a good server software resident on a NAS, as I don't want to commit a PC/Mac to that duty full time, nor leave it on constantly.

I was pleased to find it will run on Qnap NASs, but wondered, since I'll actually be buying the NAS for this purpose, whether any particular model will run Minim better?

I was considering a Qnap TS-219P II, or maybe a TS-419P II, will these run Minim reliably and with all features? I'm particularly interested in Minim transcoding Flac to Wav on the fly, but don't know if the processor, etc. in these models will cope with this...

Any info and/or advice very gratefully accepted before I part with cash on the NAS!

Cheers,

James

Either of these would be fine. They both have the same CPU and RAM, so it's just a matter of whether you want 2 bays or 4 bays.
20-11-2012, 00:35
(20-11-2012 00:29)simoncn Wrote:  
(20-11-2012 00:07)3dit0r Wrote:  Hi,

Cheers,

James

Either of these would be fine. They both have the same CPU and RAM, so it's just a matter of whether you want 2 bays or 4 bays.

Thanks for the reply Smile will both those CPUs and RAM be enough to support all those features such as transcoding, please?

I notice you have to install a different version of Java for these models with ARM processors - is there any benefit in me buying one of the models which use the x86 or Atom processors, or is support and stability just as good for each?

Cheers,

James
20-11-2012, 01:06
(20-11-2012 00:35)3dit0r Wrote:  Thanks for the reply Smile will both those CPUs and RAM be enough to support all those features such as transcoding, please?

I notice you have to install a different version of Java for these models with ARM processors - is there any benefit in me buying one of the models which use the x86 or Atom processors, or is support and stability just as good for each?

Cheers,

James

Yes, they should be fine for transcoding.

Intel processors are more powerful and also consume considerably more mains power. If you're using the NAS for frequent large backups across the network, you might appreciate the extra power of an Intel CPU. If your main use for the NAS is as a music library, the ARM models you mentioned will be powerful enough and will save you money on your electricity bill.

There's no difference in support or stability between the ARM and Intel versons of MinimServer or Java.

My own NAS is a QNAP TS-119 (ARM 1.2 GHz, 512MB) and I'm very happy with its performance.
20-11-2012, 01:52
(20-11-2012 01:06)simoncn Wrote:  Yes, they should be fine for transcoding.

Intel processors are more powerful and also consume considerably more mains power. If you're using the NAS for frequent large backups across the network, you might appreciate the extra power of an Intel CPU. If your main use for the NAS is as a music library, the ARM models you mentioned will be powerful enough and will save you money on your electricity bill.

There's no difference in support or stability between the ARM and Intel versons of MinimServer or Java.

My own NAS is a QNAP TS-119 (ARM 1.2 GHz, 512MB) and I'm very happy with its performance.

Thanks very much, I'll get one ordered then Smile
20-11-2012, 01:57
By the way, is Minim known to work well, and/or have any particular problems with Naim streamers? I'm using an NDX...

Cheers.
20-11-2012, 11:02
(20-11-2012 01:57)3dit0r Wrote:  By the way, is Minim known to work well, and/or have any particular problems with Naim streamers? I'm using an NDX...

Cheers.

There has been a report of some compatibility issues with NAIM for certain types of files. See this thread.

I sent a test build to the user who reported this, but he didn't confirm whether it fixed the problem. Can you install MinimServer 0.63 on a Mac or PC to try with your NDX and see if you have any compatibility problems?
20-11-2012, 18:18
(20-11-2012 11:02)simoncn Wrote:  
(20-11-2012 01:57)3dit0r Wrote:  By the way, is Minim known to work well, and/or have any particular problems with Naim streamers? I'm using an NDX...

Cheers.

There has been a report of some compatibility issues with NAIM for certain types of files. See this thread.

I sent a test build to the user who reported this, but he didn't confirm whether it fixed the problem. Can you install MinimServer 0.63 on a Mac or PC to try with your NDX and see if you have any compatibility problems?

Sure, my NDX is new and I'm literally just in the process of setting up, but will do so in the next few days and report back, lots of people on the Naim forum would jump at this if it was a good solution, I should imagine!
20-11-2012, 19:33
BTW, is there a particular way I should tag the files (e.g. with dBpoweramp, or MediaMonkey) in order to get the most out of MinimServer, before I try the experiment?

I'll also try it with the standard Naim-created backup folders from my UnitiServe, but I know that creates files with proprietary Naim-authored XML indexes, instead of embedding the tags in the .wav headers, so I doubt I'll get too far that way - I intend to make a separate copy of the music folder, then run a third party tagging software on it.
20-11-2012, 20:27
The safest bet is to go for mp3tag. It is free and a great piece of software. In particular it fully supports multiple tag-entries. have a look athe Music tagging section on this forum for further details.

Bbrip