Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding more than 8 folders.
15-08-2016, 13:24
Adding more than 8 folders.
My music collections counts 11 folders of music, so more than the 8 folders Minimserver can handle. Would it be possible to exceed the number of 8 folders, e.g. by placing links to other folders in the added folders? I'm on Windows 10.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2016, 13:27
RE: Adding more than 8 folders.
This information must be wrong. My music collection contains hundreds of folders.
15-08-2016, 13:40 (This post was last modified: 15-08-2016 13:40 by thehague.)
Sorry, what I meant is: 8 directories. Would it be possible to add more directories through linking? I'm a newbie, so please bear with me.
15-08-2016, 13:43
The number of content directories (top-level folders) is limited to 8 and this number can't be increased. The number of subfolders under these content directories is limited to 65000.

MinimServer follows links on Linux. I haven't tried this on Windows but I would expect it to work there as well, so you should be able to use links to increase the number of top-level folders.
15-08-2016, 13:45
Thank you!
15-08-2016, 13:48
(15-08-2016 13:40)thehague Wrote:  Sorry, what I meant is: 8 directories. Would it be possible to add more directories through linking? I'm a newbie, so please bear with me.

MinimServer uses the terms folder and directory interchangeably, so don't worry about the terminology. Smile

Normally there would be some higher-level folder that would be a parent folder of the folders that contain your music. For example, you might have a Music folder with subfolders HiRes, MP3 and CD, or subfolders Classical, Jazz, Rock, etc. In either of these cases, you could set Music as your content directory.
15-08-2016, 13:58
Thanks again for your kind and quick answer. Very helpful! The things is my music collection is on several harddrives, because it's too big too be held by only one drive or one directory/folder. So that's why I have more than 8 directories/folders. In fact I have 11 directories in total.
10-09-2016, 03:03
(15-08-2016 13:43)simoncn Wrote:  The number of content directories (top-level folders) is limited to 8 and this number can't be increased. The number of subfolders under these content directories is limited to 65000.

Is there any reason for that particular subfolder limit and any likelihood of it being increased? I ask as my digital collection exceeds that.
10-09-2016, 09:56
(10-09-2016 03:03)timalina Wrote:  
(15-08-2016 13:43)simoncn Wrote:  The number of content directories (top-level folders) is limited to 8 and this number can't be increased. The number of subfolders under these content directories is limited to 65000.

Is there any reason for that particular subfolder limit and any likelihood of it being increased? I ask as my digital collection exceeds that.

More than 65000 sub-folders? Wow Wink Would it be too much of a stretch to re-organise your collection somehow? To my mind and were it organised in the way mine is, that would equate to a combined number of 65000 artists and albums, or 100 albums by each of 650 artists. That is huge. Is the 65000 limit per top-level folder or in total? If the former then that'd be 8*65000...
10-09-2016, 12:00
MinimServer keeps all the internal data structures needed for browsing the library in memory. These limits enable a more effcient memory representation for the in-memory structures, which is important when running on low-end devices with limited amounts of memory available. The limits are compiled into the MinimServer code and can't be increased at runtime.

Have you seen a MinimServer message about the 65000 limit being exceeded? I am asking this because MinimServer doesn't count any folders that don't contain music files, so you might be OK even if there are more than 65000 subfolders on disk.