Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding more than 8 folders.
10-09-2016, 12:06
RE: Adding more than 8 folders.
(10-09-2016 09:56)timster Wrote:  Is the 65000 limit per top-level folder or in total? If the former then that'd be 8*65000...

At present, the limit is a total limit for the whole library. I have considered the possibility of changing this to make the limit apply to each content directory (top-level folder). I haven't done a detailed analysis of what code changes would be needed for this or what impact these changes might have on performance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2016, 16:03 (This post was last modified: 10-09-2016 16:41 by timalina.)
(10-09-2016 12:00)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer keeps all the internal data structures needed for browsing the library in memory. These limits enable a more effcient memory representation for the in-memory structures, which is important when running on low-end devices with limited amounts of memory available. The limits are compiled into the MinimServer code and can't be increased at runtime.

Have you seen a MinimServer message about the 65000 limit being exceeded? I am asking this because MinimServer doesn't count any folders that don't contain music files, so you might be OK even if there are more than 65000 subfolders on disk.

Thanks for the speedy response. I've not had any error messages as I've not yet unleashed MinimServer on the whole collection. I'm still trying to get my head around it and customise it with a few test files, because of my expectation that tinkering with it will be slow and painful once it's carrying such a load.

According to Foobar, I have around 82,000 albums and 88,000 music-containing subfolders, so a separate instance that includes compilations, hi-def and multichannel will act as a quick fix unless the folder limit is increased.

The ability to run separate instances is a great feature and means my wife will be able to enjoy her music without having to confront the nonsense that is my own collection.
10-09-2016, 16:29 (This post was last modified: 10-09-2016 16:44 by timalina.)
(10-09-2016 09:56)timster Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 03:03)timalina Wrote:  
(15-08-2016 13:43)simoncn Wrote:  The number of content directories (top-level folders) is limited to 8 and this number can't be increased. The number of subfolders under these content directories is limited to 65000.

Is there any reason for that particular subfolder limit and any likelihood of it being increased? I ask as my digital collection exceeds that.

More than 65000 sub-folders? Wow Wink Would it be too much of a stretch to re-organise your collection somehow? To my mind and were it organised in the way mine is, that would equate to a combined number of 65000 artists and albums, or 100 albums by each of 650 artists. That is huge. Is the 65000 limit per top-level folder or in total? If the former then that'd be 8*65000...

It's more of an archive now than a collection (which sounds more justifiable than a pathological condition). According to Foobar I have 103,989 artists (18,411 album artists) spread across 85,518 albums titles (in 87,927 music-containing folders) and 1,228,265 discrete items. I've spent much spare time of the last year consolidating that onto six hard drives on two servers (hi-def and multichannel drives on one server and four regular flac drives on the other) so now everything is relatively accessible, although being able to play anything via control points would be incredible.

That said, I'd rather chuck the lot in the bin than start reorganisng it.
10-09-2016, 16:47
(10-09-2016 16:29)timalina Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 09:56)timster Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 03:03)timalina Wrote:  
(15-08-2016 13:43)simoncn Wrote:  The number of content directories (top-level folders) is limited to 8 and this number can't be increased. The number of subfolders under these content directories is limited to 65000.

Is there any reason for that particular subfolder limit and any likelihood of it being increased? I ask as my digital collection exceeds that.

More than 65000 sub-folders? Wow Wink Would it be too much of a stretch to re-organise your collection somehow? To my mind and were it organised in the way mine is, that would equate to a combined number of 65000 artists and albums, or 100 albums by each of 650 artists. That is huge. Is the 65000 limit per top-level folder or in total? If the former then that'd be 8*65000...

It's more of an archive now than a collection (which sounds more justifiable than a pathological condition). According to Foobar I have 103,989 artists spread across 85,518 albums and 1,228,265 discrete items. I've spent much spare time of the last year consolidating it onto six hard drives on two servers (hi-def and multichannel drives on one server and four regular flac drives on the other) so now everything is relatively accessible, although being able to play anything via control points would be fantastic.

That said, I'd rather chuck the lot in the bin than start reorganisng it.

Lol, yes I see what you mean. Impressive archive.
At least you have them split over 2 servers, that should help. If they are both running minim, that's 130000 subfolders in total. Just need to know which server holds what. I think though some if not most control points may struggle with such a large number of items, so you really do need to alpha-group them.
Good luck!
13-09-2016, 11:16
(10-09-2016 12:00)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer keeps all the internal data structures needed for browsing the library in memory. These limits enable a more effcient memory representation for the in-memory structures, which is important when running on low-end devices with limited amounts of memory available. The limits are compiled into the MinimServer code and can't be increased at runtime.

Have you seen a MinimServer message about the 65000 limit being exceeded? I am asking this because MinimServer doesn't count any folders that don't contain music files, so you might be OK even if there are more than 65000 subfolders on disk.

I just checked and after discounting funny formats and various artist compilations I still exceed the 65K limit of music-containing folders. I think I'll still try running two instances so that I've still got the option of searching any track from my phone, and it will be interesting to see how MinimServer holds up on my set up pushed close to its limit.

The eight-folder limit wouldn't affect me as I use six hard drives, but out of curiosity, can it effectively be got around by mounting drives and NFS mounts in the same top-level directory?

Either way, I'd be keen to hear if you do consider increasing the limit.
13-09-2016, 22:21
MinimServer follows links and mounts, so you can do anything you want underneath each top-level directory to include other locations.

There might be a performance issue with NFS mounts but the next MinimServer update should greatly improve this.
03-11-2016, 14:10

Hi Simon, thanks for the pleasure you give me with this excelent program. I have found als the message that my music exceeds the 65000 submaps. I use 8 mainfolders. I would be very pleased if you have the time and effort to alter the program so that is can take 65000 submaps per mainfolder. In the meantime I use the workout via symbolic links. Thanks in advance!
Rob.
03-11-2016, 20:44
(03-11-2016 14:10)rob_ml Wrote:  Hi Simon, thanks for the pleasure you give me with this excelent program. I have found als the message that my music exceeds the 65000 submaps. I use 8 mainfolders. I would be very pleased if you have the time and effort to alter the program so that is can take 65000 submaps per mainfolder. In the meantime I use the workout via symbolic links. Thanks in advance!
Rob.

I have looked into this but I haven't been able to find a simple solution.