Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Mulitple instances using NAS and various computers
12-08-2016, 11:55
Mulitple instances using NAS and various computers
Hello,

We recently purchased a Naim Mu-so and have a NAS on the network, so we've copied all our music (in .flac and .mp3 format) to a folder on the NAS. We have several computers in the house and I've installed MinimServer on the NAS and Minimwatch on Computer A, and that setup works fine - i.e. the Naim app on our mobile phones can see the MinimServer instance attached to Computer A and play files from the NAS via this connection.

However, there are two other computers in the house, which we would like to be able to use interchangeably with the first as different computers are on at different times. I've since installed MinimServer and MinimWatch on Computer B and this allows Computer B to play files from the NAS through the Mu-so. However, this instance of MinimServer does not appear in the Naim mobile app under UPnP servers.

So my question is, is it possible to have one instance of MinimServer on a NAS, have an instance of MinimWatch on each of three computers, and allow a mobile app which searches for UPnP servers to see whichever computer(s) happen to be on at the time, and choose one for playing files from the NAS?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2016, 12:54
RE: Mulitple instances using NAS and various computers
(12-08-2016 11:55)Jester Wrote:  Hello,

We recently purchased a Naim Mu-so and have a NAS on the network, so we've copied all our music (in .flac and .mp3 format) to a folder on the NAS. We have several computers in the house and I've installed MinimServer on the NAS and Minimwatch on Computer A, and that setup works fine - i.e. the Naim app on our mobile phones can see the MinimServer instance attached to Computer A and play files from the NAS via this connection.

However, there are two other computers in the house, which we would like to be able to use interchangeably with the first as different computers are on at different times. I've since installed MinimServer and MinimWatch on Computer B and this allows Computer B to play files from the NAS through the Mu-so. However, this instance of MinimServer does not appear in the Naim mobile app under UPnP servers.

So my question is, is it possible to have one instance of MinimServer on a NAS, have an instance of MinimWatch on each of three computers, and allow a mobile app which searches for UPnP servers to see whichever computer(s) happen to be on at the time, and choose one for playing files from the NAS?
You can use MinimWatch on several computers.
What are you trying to achieve?
There is no need to use MinimWatch while playing music that is stored on your NAS.
Minimwatch can be used to configure MinimServer and solve e.g. tagging problems via logfiles.
12-08-2016, 14:33
We'd like to be able to play music files from the NAS regardless of which computers are switched on in the house (there is always one switched on at any given moment but it varies as to which one). As I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong on this!) you have to have a computer running MinimServer (switched on) in order to play files from the NAS on the Mu-so? So if Computer A is switched off, we'd like to be able to have the mobile app talk to the NAS using any of the other computers in the house by installing MinimServer on all of them.

At the moment, only the first computer I installed MinimServer on shows up under UPnP servers in the mobile app. So I was wondering whether it is actually possible to have multiple computers on the same network, running their own instances of MinimServer and switch between them when selecting which UPnP server to use?

Sorry if this is still unclear and you need more information! And thanks for taking the time to help out.
12-08-2016, 14:40 (This post was last modified: 12-08-2016 18:48 by Peter StreamMagic.)
(12-08-2016 14:33)Jester Wrote:  We'd like to be able to play music files from the NAS regardless of which computers are switched on in the house (there is always one switched on at any given moment but it varies as to which one). As I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong on this!) you have to have a computer running MinimServer (switched on) in order to play files from the NAS on the Mu-so? So if Computer A is switched off, we'd like to be able to have the mobile app talk to the NAS using any of the other computers in the house by installing MinimServer on all of them.

At the moment, only the first computer I installed MinimServer on shows up under UPnP servers in the mobile app. So I was wondering whether it is actually possible to have multiple computers on the same network, running their own instances of MinimServer and switch between them when selecting which UPnP server to use?

Sorry if this is still unclear and you need more information! And thanks for taking the time to help out.
You can switch off all computers when playing files stored on your NAS
12-08-2016, 15:18
(12-08-2016 14:33)Jester Wrote:  At the moment, only the first computer I installed MinimServer on shows up under UPnP servers in the mobile app.
You have to install MinimServer on the NAS.
12-08-2016, 15:51
(12-08-2016 14:33)Jester Wrote:  At the moment, only the first computer I installed MinimServer on shows up under UPnP servers in the mobile app. So I was wondering whether it is actually possible to have multiple computers on the same network, running their own instances of MinimServer and switch between them when selecting which UPnP server to use?

It is possible to do this and the mobile app should show all MinimServer instances and allow you to choose between them. So there is a problem, probably caused either by firewall settings on your computers or the way your network handles multicast messages.

However, this is not what you want to do. You want a single instance of MinimServer running on your NAS to play music to the Mu-so. For this, as others have said, you only need to run one instance of MinimServer on the NAS. In addition, you should have MinimWatch installed on one or more computers for when you need to change MinimServer configuration settings. You don't need MinimWatch to be running in order to play music.
12-08-2016, 20:57
Thank you all for the info. I hadn't realised you didn't need a computer running at all in order for the mobile app to talk to the NAS - I thought you needed an instance of MinimWatch to do this. So presumably, the phone app takes the place of MinimWatch in this scenario?
12-08-2016, 21:24
(12-08-2016 20:57)Jester Wrote:  Thank you all for the info. I hadn't realised you didn't need a computer running at all in order for the mobile app to talk to the NAS - I thought you needed an instance of MinimWatch to do this. So presumably, the phone app takes the place of MinimWatch in this scenario?

Not exactly. The phone app is a UPnP control point that lets you select and play music. MinimWatch is used to view and change the MinimServer configuration.
13-08-2016, 10:53
In that case it's not working quite as it should. The instance of MinimServer installed on the NAS doesn't show up under UPnP servers like the one that is installed on the computer does. Is there something I'm missing?
13-08-2016, 11:02
(13-08-2016 10:53)Jester Wrote:  In that case it's not working quite as it should. The instance of MinimServer installed on the NAS doesn't show up under UPnP servers like the one that is installed on the computer does. Is there something I'm missing?

I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were playing files directly from the MinimServer instance on the NAS. I have now reread the post and I see you are not doing this.

There is some troubleshooting guidance for this problem in this section. If these suggestions don't solve the problem, please post full details of your network configuration here.