Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Can No Longer Write To My NAS
01-08-2016, 12:19
RE: Can No Longer Write To My NAS
Ran the SMART Quick tests on the four drives last night and over night completed a 4 1/2 hr Advanced test on drive 1, all reported Normal; running 2 now.

Was surprised to find one of the cd's that reported 'No Write' was in my Roon library and plays normally, how can that be ??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2016, 16:16
What exactly are you trying to write to the NAS and where are you seeing the "no write" error message? Can you post the full text of this message?
02-08-2016, 01:01 (This post was last modified: 02-08-2016 01:27 by rogerdn.)
What exactly are you trying to write to the NAS and where are you seeing the "no write" error message? Can you post the full text of this message?
[/quote]
Trying to rip cds using dbPoweramp on a pc to the Synology. I see the error messages in dbPa following the rips,

Shot of MinimWatch Log after rip. Also MinimWatch icon now greyed out and I'm unable to restore green

Three of the four drives now report normal after SMART Extended tests, still testing the last one, but I don't know if this fully checks for all possible errors.

Also I can map the NAS drive on my PC and transfer files.

And strangely one cd I 'ripped' appears in Roon/plays but not in MinimServer.

.thks
02-08-2016, 09:48
The error from dBpoweramp might be a network issue that prevents the NAS shared folder being accessible from Windows.

The grey MinimWatch icon sounds like a network problem as well.

The first step is to power off all your equipment. After doing this, power it back on in this order:

1) Router (then wait 5 minutes)
2) Switches, if you have any (then wait 2 minutes)
3) Wireless access points or extenders, if you have any (then wait 2 minutes)
4) The NAS
5) The Windows PC

After doing this, try another dBpoweramp rip.
02-08-2016, 17:09
Roger

I have always had some issues when ripping and saving files direct to a share on my NAS. Could you try ripping to a folder on your pc and then copying the completed ripped files to the NAS?

I cant give an explanation but certainly when I try to rip a large video in mkv format, I end up with a whole bunch of files rather than just one.

Rob

Streaming from a Synology 1511+ to a Cyrus Stream XP2 QX, 2x Roberts 93i, A Revo Superconnect, a Mede8er 600 3D and a few Squeezeboxes thrown in!
02-08-2016, 17:50
(02-08-2016 17:09)robt Wrote:  Roger

I have always had some issues when ripping and saving files direct to a share on my NAS. Could you try ripping to a folder on your pc and then copying the completed ripped files to the NAS?

I cant give an explanation but certainly when I try to rip a large video in mkv format, I end up with a whole bunch of files rather than just one.

Rob
I think it is an good method to rip to your PC first.
This works much faster (may depend on the NAS you use) tagging and doing some album art work,testing with MinimServer installed on the PC and then, if all is well, copy to my NAS.

Peter.
02-08-2016, 18:24
(02-08-2016 17:50)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  I think it is an good method to rip to your PC first ... This works much faster (may depend on the NAS you use) tagging and doing some album art work,testing with MinimServer installed on the PC and then, if all is well, copy to my NAS.

In my view, unless disk space is woefully lacking on your desktop or laptop computer (and that's something to fix in any case), this is more than just a good method; it is the best way tro work for many people.

If you initially rip to your computer, using the same folder structure within your music folder as you use on the NAS, and then run a local copy of Minimserver on the computer, you can rescan the local library and check the MinimServer log for errors before you copy any new albums over to the NAS. If you use a folder synchronisation program to do the copying (I use the venerable but still useful SyncToy on my PC), you ensure that the libraries on the computer and on the NAS are identical, and so you generate an up-to-date backup of your music library as part of the process of ripping/downloading and tagging any new albums. Anything that throws up a problem on the NAS can be checked and corrected as necessary offline on the computer, and the changes copied over to the NAS.

David
02-08-2016, 18:37
(02-08-2016 17:09)robt Wrote:  Roger

Rob
I'll try your suggestion but think it will work as I've been able to copy a jpg file this way, thks for the suggestion. But writing to the NAS has worked well for years so I'm going to continue to work on it.
02-08-2016, 20:30 (This post was last modified: 02-08-2016 20:31 by rogerdn.)
(02-08-2016 18:24)DavidHB Wrote:  
(02-08-2016 17:50)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  I think it is an good method to rip to your PC first ... This works much faster (may depend on the NAS you use) tagging and doing some album art work,testing with MinimServer installed on the PC and then, if all is well, copy to my NAS.

In my view, unless disk space is woefully lacking on your desktop or laptop computer (and that's something to fix in any case), this is more than just a good method; it is the best way tro work for many people.

If you initially rip to your computer, using the same folder structure within your music folder as you use on the NAS, and then run a local copy of Minimserver on the computer, you can rescan the local library and check the MinimServer log for errors before you copy any new albums over to the NAS. If you use a folder synchronisation program to do the copying (I use the venerable but still useful SyncToy on my PC), you ensure that the libraries on the computer and on the NAS are identical, and so you generate an up-to-date backup of your music library as part of the process of ripping/downloading and tagging any new albums. Anything that throws up a problem on the NAS can be checked and corrected as necessary offline on the computer, and the changes copied over to the NAS.

David

Thanks David, as I told Rob I want to work on writing to NAS a bit longer but restarting the network gear involved didn't fix it and SMART Extended tests on all four drives reported Normal. I'm thinking my PC might be involved as behavior is erratic and strange of late, not just this ripping, going to try reinstalling dBPoweramp.
03-08-2016, 13:37
Without being an expert, long time ago I had issues whenever I tried to rip directly to network drive. The ripping is a streaming process, which may not be compatible with potential hang up from a network drive. Cf. also https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread....ing-to-NAS or https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread....twork-File

Best practice for me is : I rip on my computer drive, then transfert via sftp.

None of my NAS drive is visible on the network; it avoids many bad things like accidently deleting files or the weird windows or Mac extra files

Just my 2 cents