Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Can No Longer Write To My NAS
31-07-2016, 03:50
Can No Longer Write To My NAS
Albums rip no errors but can't write to my Synology, nothing changed including path. NAS is fine plays Roon normally, synology says minimserver Running. Has been running well several years
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2016, 06:00
RE: Can No Longer Write To My NAS
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. It got worse within a few days and it turned out the hard disc was going to fail, so I had to buy a new one. Did you try a hard disc check?
31-07-2016, 18:46
Thanks but don't think that's my problem, Synology disk check says it's running normally and Roon plays fine, but before the write problem started I was getting error messages when ripping, first the meta data had errors then the music files too. MinimWatch at this point would not let me check/open the log files don't know why. But Synology reports MinimServer is 'running' and its current on updates. I note MinimWatch when rescanning no longer goes yellow, stays green.
31-07-2016, 20:20
Have you tried powering the NAS off and on?
31-07-2016, 22:00
Yes had tried that, also the laptop, strange has worked great same set up for couple yrs. (I did change switches from a Cisco managed to TP Link, was recommended because of a problem with my SonicTransporter but turned out to be unnecessary). I have retried rescan MinimWatch this time got yellow/ green but still can't write to NAS. Here's the log from the last rip,

Error from Server MinimWatch [disk stn] see log for details,

And,

MinimWatch 0.8.3 update 40, Copyright © 2012-2016 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_60-b27)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.60-b23, mixed mode)
Platform default charset is windows-1252
Active subnet is 192.168.0.0
Startup complete
MinimServer[DiskStation] is running
Error 2 [Connection timed out] invoking GetProperty on remote runtime monitor

This may not be related but neither mconnect nor kazoo no longer run right using my microRendu in MPD/DLNA mode, files in both MinimServer and Syn Media Server often don't show or disappear after short time, or won't play. This started recently too. But Roon runs well.
31-07-2016, 22:05
It sounds like a hardware problem, probably a faulty HDD.
31-07-2016, 22:28
Why would Roon run and NAS report Normal ?
01-08-2016, 00:13 (This post was last modified: 01-08-2016 00:15 by DavidHB.)
(31-07-2016 22:28)rogerdn Wrote:  Why would Roon run and NAS report Normal ?

Assuming the NAS has more than one drive, if Roon happens to be on drive areas that are not faulty, and the Synology system has not found whatever the fault is, that could happen. I can't be sure, but I believe that the NAS relies on the SMART capability of the drive for its information.

Simon is the expert, but I cannot think of anything in MinimServer that could cause the fault you describe. If you had a corrupt MinimServer or Java installation, it seems unlikely that MinimServer would run at all and give you the green icon you have in MinimWatch. But removing and reinstalling MinimServer and Java might help in the short term. Longer term, I'd guess that you are in practice waiting to for the Synology to tell you which drive is on the blink. I trust that you have a backup of the NAS.

David
01-08-2016, 00:28
(01-08-2016 00:13)DavidHB Wrote:  
(31-07-2016 22:28)rogerdn Wrote:  Why would Roon run and NAS report Normal ?

Assuming the NAS has more than one drive, if Roon happens to be on drive areas that are not faulty, and the Synology system has not found whatever the fault is, that could happen. I can't be sure, but I believe that the NAS relies on the SMART capability of the drive for its information.

Simon is the expert, but I cannot think of anything in MinimServer that could cause the fault you describe. If you had a corrupt MinimServer or Java installation, it seems unlikely that MinimServer would run at all and give you the green icon you have in MinimWatch. But removing and reinstalling MinimServer and Java might help in the short term. Longer term, I'd guess that you are in practice waiting to for the Synology to tell you which drive is on the blink. I trust that you have a backup of the NAS.

David
Thks David, yes it's a four drive 412+, I've sent a Help to Synology and I do have back ups I rotate monthly, one offsite.
01-08-2016, 11:01
(01-08-2016 00:28)rogerdn Wrote:  Thks David, yes it's a four drive 412+, I've sent a Help to Synology and I do have back ups I rotate monthly, one offsite.

That makes sense in terms of what Simon and I were saying. I'm glad about the backups; you clearly did not need any reminder on that score, but on an open forum some folk will not be in such a happy situation. The idea that RAID is a substitute for backups dies hard.

David