Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to use Grouping - in babysteps please
15-06-2016, 08:56
Question How to use Grouping - in babysteps please
Hi,
My goal is to use Grouping for classical music so that I can browse my music library and pick e.g. "Beethoven Symphony no. 5 - Chailly" as one item.

I use Jaikoz for tagging (Mac) and Kazoo as control point (Linn). So I enter "Beethoven Symphony no. 5 - Chailly" in the Jaikoz tag "Grouping". This seems to make no difference.

Questions:
- Should I use the "Items" view in Kazoo to browse for grouped items?
- If so, why does my grouping not make a difference to how my music is displayed?
- Do I need to create a "Tag alias"? In which case, where precisely do I do that?

Thank you as always,
Per.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2016, 10:59
RE: How to use Grouping - in babysteps please
The tag that you need to set is Group, not Grouping. To use your existing Grouping tags as Group tags, you can set the aliasTags property to either ContentGroup:Group or Grouping:Group (try them both and see which works).
15-06-2016, 21:38
Hi Simon,
Thanks for responding. I thought this might be the case. But I simply don't grasp where in the eorld wide web that setting of aliasTags occur? It does not seem to be in the Minimserver interface on my NAS, it does not seem to be in Jaikoz... This, for me, is the missing link in both the user guide and the many posts on this topic.
16-06-2016, 09:37
(15-06-2016 21:38)pped Wrote:  Hi Simon,
Thanks for responding. I thought this might be the case. But I simply don't grasp where in the eorld wide web that setting of aliasTags occur? It does not seem to be in the Minimserver interface on my NAS, it does not seem to be in Jaikoz... This, for me, is the missing link in both the user guide and the many posts on this topic.

You need to install MinimWatch on another computer, then select Properties from the MinimWatch minim icon. See this page for details.
16-06-2016, 10:26
Bingo - using MinimWatch was the missing link. Thank you so much!

For the information of others, in this instance the Grouping:Group alias did the trick.
16-06-2016, 14:07
(16-06-2016 10:26)pped Wrote:  Bingo - using MinimWatch was the missing link. Thank you so much!

For the information of others, in this instance the Grouping:Group alias did the trick.

Thanks for confirming this. If iTunes is used to add "Grouping" tags to AAC/ALAC files, ContentGroup:Group would be needed.
17-06-2016, 10:45
Yes I can confirm the effectiveness of ContentGroup:Group too. There were a couple of albums that seem to have been via the Apple world at some stage so they needed the ContentGroup alias to be bent into shape.

Thanks again and all the best!
08-04-2017, 22:16
(16-06-2016 14:07)simoncn Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 10:26)pped Wrote:  Bingo - using MinimWatch was the missing link. Thank you so much!

Thanks for confirming this. If iTunes is used to add "Grouping" tags to AAC/ALAC files, ContentGroup:Group would be needed.

Has anyone tried to make this work with iTunes' new Work and Movement tags?
09-04-2017, 10:00 (This post was last modified: 09-04-2017 10:17 by paultaylor.)
(16-06-2016 10:26)pped Wrote:  Has anyone tried to make this work with iTunes' new Work and Movement tags?
For ID3 formats such as AIF and MP3 iTunes stores the Work in the TIT1 frame (this is mapped to CONTENTGROUP by MinimServer), this was previously used by iTunes for Grouping field, but now iTunes uses a new non-standard GRP1 field for Grouping. For MP4 format iTunes uses the new ©wrk atom for Work and continues to use the ©grp field for grouping as it has always done. I don't like the way they have reused TIT1 since it is now has other uses, but there you are.

So I believe this means that for ID3/AIF files if you edit iTunes Work and Movement fields within iTunes itself and map ContentGroup/Grouping to Group in MinimServer then the values entered for Work would be visible within MinimServer, but they would not be if editing MP4 files.

The original poster mentioned he was using Jaikoz so it might be helpful to know that by default Jaikoz writes to the ©wrk field for Mp4 and the TXXX:WORK field for ID3. Then the Remote Correct:Classical:Copy Work to Grouping option can be used to automatically copy this value to Grouping field (TIT1,©grp) so now visible to iTunes as Work (for ID3) and MinimServer (MP4).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user