Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rescan on Synology
30-05-2016, 08:25
rescan on Synology
Hi

I run the latest minimserver on a Synology 216play (latest DMS). All works fine so far.

However after a new ripping or adding additional music to the directory I have to run a rescan.

Question:
Is there a way to do an auto rescan to show the new music also on the app after adding new music to the directory?

If not what is the best way to run a rescan? I guess it will also take some time once around 1000 CD's are uploaded?

Best regards
Tony
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2016, 09:59
RE: rescan on Synology
At present, you need to do the rescan manually. The simplest way to do this is from the MinimServer status web page (click the MinimServer icon in the DSM main menu). You can also do a rescan from MinimWatch.

With 1000 albums, the rescan should take about 2 to 3 minutes and you can play music while it is happening.
30-05-2016, 10:38
Thanks for prompt response.

Any plans do to it automatically after uploading new music ?
30-05-2016, 20:34
(30-05-2016 10:38)planet Wrote:  Thanks for prompt response.

Any plans do to it automatically after uploading new music ?

This might sound simple but it isn't. For some of the reasons, see this post and this post.

In addition to the points made in these posts, there are some difficult technical issues within the MinimServer code that would require significant redesign and rework.

I would like to provide automatic rescan as an option if all of these issues can be overcome. As such, it is on my "wish list" but I cannot provide any estimate of timescale or give a commitment that it will be supported.
30-05-2016, 21:58 (This post was last modified: 30-05-2016 21:59 by DavidHB.)
(30-05-2016 20:34)simoncn Wrote:  I would like to provide automatic rescan as an option if all of these issues can be overcome. As such, it is on my "wish list" but I cannot provide any estimate of timescale or give a commitment that it will be supported.

As one of those whom Simon quotes, I understand his position on this. Leaving aside the technical challenges, from a user perspective there is a real dilemma about when auto rescan would be useful and when it would just get in the way. As a rescan is not needed unless and until the user changes the content of the library, it is probably best if the user, rather than the system, decides when enough change has happened to warrant a rescan. If I have a batch of 20 CDs to rip and tag, I should only need to do the rescan once.

I don't pretend to understand all the technical challenges. What I do know is that media servers can become completely unusable when they implement auto rescanning ineptly. I'd much rather have a reliable manual system than one with unpredictable or disruptive automation.

David
31-05-2016, 05:47
i run Minimserver on a Synology as well, and have it configured to stop and restart every night at 2:00am. This provides a nightly rescan in case I've made any changes and neglected to do a manual rescan. I much prefer this approach to automatic rescan every time I make a change.
31-05-2016, 07:42
This is interesting. The media server from Synology does an automatic rescan when music is added. However it is not displaying all the tagging correct, specially the covers this is why I prefer the minimserver much over the standard media server from Synology.

But I agree it is not a big thing to do the manual rescan, it would just a nice additional feature.

antonmb: how did you setup a start and stop every night?
31-05-2016, 14:06
(31-05-2016 07:42)planet Wrote:  antonmb: how did you setup a start and stop every night?

In Synology's DSM web interface, go to Control Panel>Task Scheduler>Create Task>Scheduled Task>Service. In the Create Task window you'll see tabs for Schedule to set the day, time, etc., and Task Settings where you select the package and check Start or Stop. You'll need to create two tasks, one to stop and one to start.
04-06-2016, 20:05 (This post was last modified: 04-06-2016 20:06 by tarnkappe.)
If you are using android and bubble upnp as control point you can trigger the rescan in this app. Otherwise a minimwatch app would be nice.
04-06-2016, 21:00
(04-06-2016 20:05)tarnkappe Wrote:  If you are using android and bubble upnp as control point you can trigger the rescan in this app. Otherwise a minimwatch app would be nice.

You can do a rescan from the MinimServer status web page using any web browser.