Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to handle Artist and Albumartist
04-01-2017, 19:16
RE: How to handle Artist and Albumartist
stuck again ....
wanted to so something like this
prefix field1 field2 field3 suffix in tagformat where fields 2 & 3 are optional and wont be present all time.
eg. ALBUM <1970 remaster 2009> for a remaster
vs. ALBUM <1970> being the original release
stripping the second 1970 from the second example now works using the tagupdate.
but I can't get the suffix being processed. If use in tagFormat it can't work since if field3 is missing it's suffix is also missing.
So I decided to put the following into tagValue
Date={Date, Albumversion, Releasedate}
minimserver then moans about Date being not allowed in tagValue
not to mention that I can't define spaces, but it would have surely allowed to use prefix and suffix in tagFormat this way.

I'm lost. there's too many differnt sections when one could define things which more or less to influence each other, or better said, you must guess why something doesn't work even if reading the docs since the thrown errors explain only that something's wrong but not what's excatly wrong. For example I now get 'incorrect Tagname Date in Date.merge. Date is a valid tagname and .merge is a valid action according to the docs. Any idea where I'm wrong?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2017, 22:00
(04-01-2017 19:16)aliasname Wrote:  stuck again ....
wanted to so something like this
prefix field1 field2 field3 suffix in tagformat where fields 2 & 3 are optional and wont be present all time.
eg. ALBUM <1970 remaster 2009> for a remaster
vs. ALBUM <1970> being the original release
stripping the second 1970 from the second example now works using the tagupdate.
but I can't get the suffix being processed. If use in tagFormat it can't work since if field3 is missing it's suffix is also missing.

You can use a single format item for the combination of field1+field2+field3, as follows:

Album.displayFormat={$album^^ $field1$field2$field3^<^>^ }

Quote:So I decided to put the following into tagValue
Date={Date, Albumversion, Releasedate}

This syntax is invalid and I assume you meant to say Date.merge=. This should work if you use a different tag name as the target, for example:

DateVerRel.merge={Date, Albumversion, Releasedate}

Quote:minimserver then moans about Date being not allowed in tagValue
not to mention that I can't define spaces, but it would have surely allowed to use prefix and suffix in tagFormat this way.

Yes, you could do the above together with:

Album.displayFormat={$album^^ $dateVerRel^<^>^ }

Quote:I'm lost. there's too many differnt sections when one could define things which more or less to influence each other, or better said, you must guess why something doesn't work even if reading the docs since the thrown errors explain only that something's wrong but not what's excatly wrong. For example I now get 'incorrect Tagname Date in Date.merge. Date is a valid tagname and .merge is a valid action according to the docs. Any idea where I'm wrong?

See above. You are probably using Date as both a source and target tag name.
05-01-2017, 15:54 (This post was last modified: 05-01-2017 16:06 by aliasname.)
Trying with DateVerRel={Date,AlbumVersion,ReleaseYear}
produces the error incorrect Tagname 'DAteVerRel' in option Album.DisplayFormat in property TagFormat.

Something I mentioned earlier ..... Errortexts are simply senseless since the only text which would have made sense would have been "are you sure you defined DateVerRel either in indexTags or itemTags?" Telling the user that there's a problem in tagFormat is simply no help at all.

anyway tried both ways you suggested without any luck.

Combining the items using merge results in
field1, field2, field3 against field1 field2 field3 .. I do hate comma displays.

And using the direct .DisplayFormat started throwing errors that Date is unknown to Minum.
Perhaps because of using
$Date $AlbumVersion $ReleaseYear^ <^>
against
$Date$AlbumVersion$ReleaseYear^ <^>

more testing later .. fed up right now after anotheer 20mins for 1 simple thing without getting a solution.
Userguide, Errortexts and the way configuration works are the 3 items I would rate the negative aspects, the rest simply works.

But 1 exciting advantage is that in my case I wanted to prevent the duplication of dates and it the merge not only compares field1 against field2 and then field2 against field3 but each against the others. Reduces the effort to make use of tagUpdate by a 100% ;-)
05-01-2017, 16:22 (This post was last modified: 05-01-2017 16:22 by simoncn.)
(05-01-2017 15:54)aliasname Wrote:  Trying with DateVerRel={Date,AlbumVersion,ReleaseYear}
produces the error incorrect Tagname 'DAteVerRel' in option Album.DisplayFormat in property TagFormat.

I presume you are referring to DateVerRel.merge={Date,AlbumVersion,ReleaseYear} in tagValue. Assuming this is what you meant, it is probably because you haven't added DateVerRel to indexTags or itemTags.

Quote:Something I mentioned earlier ..... Errortexts are simply senseless since the only text which would have made sense would have been "are you sure you defined DateVerRel either in indexTags or itemTags?" Telling the user that there's a problem in tagFormat is simply no help at all.

There are other reasons why a tag name can be incorrect. I could change the message from "Incorrect tag name...." to "Unknown tag name...." for the specific case that the tag is not listed in indexTags or itemTags.

Quote:Combining the items using merge results in
field1, field2, field3 against field1 field2 field3 .. I do hate comma displays.

The default separator is comma space. The format string that I suggested changed this to space.

Album.displayFormat={$album^^ $field1$field2$field3^<^>^ }

Note the space before the final }.

Quote:And using the direct .DisplayFormat started throwing errors that Date is unknown to Minum.
Perhaps because of using
$Date $AlbumVersion $ReleaseYear^ <^>
against
$Date$AlbumVersion$ReleaseYear^ <^>

Yes indeed. The message would have complained about 'date '. Note the space before the final '.
09-01-2017, 17:38
(05-01-2017 16:22)simoncn Wrote:  Note the space before the final '.

I already thought about that chances I pretty high you could mention a solution. That was an easy one, and yet it solves the trick.

thanks a lot