Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to stream audio via MinimServer from the sound card inputs on a local PC?
15-05-2016, 15:51
How to stream audio via MinimServer from the sound card inputs on a local PC?
I'd like to stream multichannel audio from a multichannel USB audio sound card's inputs to my UPnP control points and renderers.

How should I go about doing that??

Can anyone suggest software on a PC (Windows or Linux) that can stream the inputs on a sound card in a way that Minimserver and/or minimstreamer can make available to UPnP control points and renderers, and also tell me a little about how to set up MinimServer and friends to handle this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2016, 22:15
RE: How to stream audio via MinimServer from the sound card inputs on a local PC?
(15-05-2016 15:51)n3mmr Wrote:  I'd like to stream multichannel audio from a multichannel USB audio sound card's inputs to my UPnP control points and renderers.

Can anyone suggest software on a PC (Windows or Linux) that can stream the inputs on a sound card in a way that Minimserver and/or minimstreamer can make available to UPnP control points and renderers, and also tell me a little about how to set up MinimServer and friends to handle this?

It isn't possible to use MinimServer or MinimStreamer to do this. You would need the audio stream to be available as an HTTP network stream.
16-05-2016, 09:43
RE: How to stream audio via MinimServer from the sound card inputs on a local PC?
(15-05-2016 22:15)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-05-2016 15:51)n3mmr Wrote:  I'd like to stream multichannel audio from a multichannel USB audio sound card's inputs to my UPnP control points and renderers.

It isn't possible to use MinimServer or MinimStreamer to do this. You would need the audio stream to be available as an HTTP network stream.
Are you saying that if the stream is available as an HTTP network stream, then minimserver can be coaxed into serving that stream to a UPnP renderer?

It appears that VLC, for one, can take the output of a "capture unit", like a sound card, and make that available as a stream, and the stream formats/types available in VLC seem to include HTTP.
Could mimimserver serve that up, or must the renderer know about HTTP streams?
16-05-2016, 10:04
(16-05-2016 09:43)n3mmr Wrote:  Are you saying that if the stream is available as an HTTP network stream, then minimserver can be coaxed into serving that stream to a UPnP renderer?

It appears that VLC, for one, can take the output of a "capture unit", like a sound card, and make that available as a stream, and the stream formats/types available in VLC seem to include HTTP.
Could mimimserver serve that up, or must the renderer know about HTTP streams?

A .m3u playlist can include entries for HTTP network streams. You would need to find the HTTP URL that VLC is using to serve the audio and add this URL to a .m3u playlist file in your music library. MinimServer would read the .m3u playlist file and make the network stream available in the "# playlists" section of your library for browsing and selection. Everything else is handled by the normal UPnP protocol between the server, the control point and the renderer.