Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boxed sets - Top level grouping
30-05-2016, 23:18
RE: Boxed sets - Top level grouping
(30-05-2016 21:13)simoncn Wrote:  I think the latter convention is better. This is already supported for album names and it allows multiple album sets to be in the same folder (unlikely but possible).

On reflection, I agree. Thanks for considering the ideas.

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2016, 16:01
An illuminating discussion on how to deal with box sets.
I suggest that if this is the start of growing a big collection of classical music you could usefully think about the box-set issues purely from a music standpoint. As my collection grew I decided to use the 'album' property purely for the 'musical work' (which I define as "[composer] - [work]") and ignore the original album title. In this way I can immediately locate alternative performances of the same work. This approach does entail extra work editing the metadata for disks in a boxed set but I've found it worthwhile as it simplifies playback choice considerably. I've not paid much attention to including appropriate cover art but when I do I have found it easiest to add appropriate jpg files to the corresponding 'music work' folders.

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model
01-06-2016, 17:28
I agree with David. Classical music is more about works than about albums. (Ok, sometimes it's about albums too, for example if you have an album containing different works to demonstrate a certain instrument like the Denner flute or the Wiegleb organ, or to present a special live concert, or a special collection of works to demonstrate certain aspects of music.) But in most cases (like Complete works of..., or a Piano concert plus a small work that's only on the album because there was enough disc space) the album concept makes not so much sense.
01-06-2016, 18:26 (This post was last modified: 01-06-2016 19:03 by DavidHB.)
(01-06-2016 17:28)Dieter Stockert Wrote:  I agree with David. Classical music is more about works than about albums. (Ok, sometimes it's about albums too, for example if you have an album containing different works to demonstrate a certain instrument like the Denner flute or the Wiegleb organ, or to present a special live concert, or a special collection of works to demonstrate certain aspects of music.) But in most cases (like Complete works of..., or a Piano concert plus a small work that's only on the album because there was enough disc space) the album concept makes not so much sense.

I agree with the concept here, but have reservations about DavidL's methodology.

It is certainly true that the work/composition is a much more meaningful concept than the album in classical music. It is also the case that I have far fewer scruples about changing album titles in classical music than in other genres. At the same time, recording companies, ever since the advent of the LP, have had to market their product as albums, and over the years many of those albums have acquired their own identity. An album may contain recordings of equally significant but disparate works - which of these works then becomes the Album title? Particular couplings have become traditional (the Grieg and Schumann Piano Concertos or the Mendelssohn and Bruch No. 1 Violin Concertos, for example). So, even in classical music, 'album' and 'composition' are different entities.

For this reason, I prefer to have separate Album and Composition tags, and have MinimServer index both. To take my latest acquisition (a download of Beethoven's Symphonies, with the Berlin Philharmonic and Simon Rattle) as an example, the Album title is "Symphonies 1 to 9 [Rattle]", and Composition is (for example) "Symphony No. 6 in F, Op. 68 'Pastoral'". The composer name is displayed by having MinimServer preface the track title with it; the TagFormat property includes "Title.displayFormat={$composer$title^^^: }". I also use Group tagging for browsing within an album, and in this case (and indeed quite often) the Group tag is the same as the Composition tag.

The point about this approach is that it facilitates different browse sequences, because I can go sometimes via Composition and sometimes via Album. Of course, there is no one 'best' tagging scheme, and one of the many really good things about MinimServer is that it allows the user to implement his or her own preferred arrangement. At the same time, my experience, with all kinds of data sets, is that it is usually at best an uncomfortable compromise to have one data element do duty for another.

David
03-09-2016, 07:43
Jump in here, @simoncn what is the best way to tag the Boxset "Oh, By The Way" or "Discovery" from Pink Floyd ?

Different albums, different covers. How to do that properly?