Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
0.8.3 update 83 won't update to 0.8.4 automatically?
08-05-2016, 14:09 (This post was last modified: 08-05-2016 14:11 by n3mmr.)
0.8.3 update 83 won't update to 0.8.4 automatically?
Is that expected behaviour or a bug??

I'm on a freenas, as described in the install article for freenas by Airflow.

Updates between update levels was MOSTLY problem free, and at least happened.

Maybe 0.8.3 -> 0.8.4 isn't autmatic??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2016, 17:30
RE: 0.8.3 update 83 won't update to 0.8.4 automatically?
(08-05-2016 14:09)n3mmr Wrote:  Is that expected behaviour or a bug??

Any version change requires a new install. If you follow the instructions on the various "installing" pages (see this page), the new install will preserve your existing configuration settings. You would need to check with airflow how this works for FreeNAS.

The update and autoupdate mechanisms can only be used for applying updates within the same version. This is a design choice, not a bug.
09-05-2016, 07:54
(08-05-2016 17:30)simoncn Wrote:  
(08-05-2016 14:09)n3mmr Wrote:  Is that expected behaviour or a bug??

Any version change requires a new install. If you follow the instructions on the various "installing" pages (see this page), the new install will preserve your existing configuration settings. You would need to check with airflow how this works for FreeNAS.

The update and autoupdate mechanisms can only be used for applying updates within the same version. This is a design choice, not a bug.

OK, fine!
15-05-2016, 15:28
(08-05-2016 17:30)simoncn Wrote:  Any version change requires a new install. If you follow the instructions on the various "installing" pages (see this page), the new install will preserve your existing configuration settings. You would need to check with airflow how this works for FreeNAS.

I just updated my MinimServer-installation by simply removing the old version and redoing the installation as described in the thread in this forum. It worked problemfree in the same way like previous versions. I had to to re-apply my custom settings tough, which is why I recommend to write those down beforehand.
15-05-2016, 22:12
(15-05-2016 15:28)airflow Wrote:  I just updated my MinimServer-installation by simply removing the old version and redoing the installation as described in the thread in this forum. It worked problemfree in the same way like previous versions. I had to to re-apply my custom settings tough, which is why I recommend to write those down beforehand.

If you are running MinimServer on Linux, you should use the minimserver/bin/update command to do the version upgrade. This will preserve your custom settings. I would expect this to work on FreeNAS as well.
16-05-2016, 13:11
(15-05-2016 22:12)simoncn Wrote:  If you are running MinimServer on Linux, you should use the minimserver/bin/update command to do the version upgrade. This will preserve your custom settings. I would expect this to work on FreeNAS as well.

Thanks for the info. I got confused with your statements "Any version change requires a new install." and "The update and autoupdate mechanisms can only be used for applying updates within the same version." from before, which is why I didn't look into the update-mechanism further. I will try that next time...
16-05-2016, 15:31
(16-05-2016 13:11)airflow Wrote:  Thanks for the info. I got confused with your statements "Any version change requires a new install." and "The update and autoupdate mechanisms can only be used for applying updates within the same version." from before, which is why I didn't look into the update-mechanism further. I will try that next time...

The terminology is confusing and I need to try to improve it. By "update", I meant an online update of the MinimServer package, normally performed by using MinimWatch. This isn't the same as running the minimserver/bin/update command (or doing an update from a NAS package manager), which actually does a new installation.

Perhaps I could use the terms "version update" and "package update" to distinguish these. I will give this some more thought.