Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting from scratch: NAS, PC, etc???
02-04-2016, 21:50
Starting from scratch: NAS, PC, etc???
I'm on the list for the new MicroRendu (renderer) from Sonore and I'd like to get a new rig to run Minimserver. I'm after the best sound quality, I don't expect there to be huge differences but I'd really like to hear recommendations from the forum. My music library can fit on one large drive. Should I go with a two bay / single bay NAS or PC? I'm willing to go with a Synology DS716+. I'm also willing to build a new PC, either high power or low power. Then there are the NUC's, mini pc's, mac mini's, and Raspberry Pi's of the world. What would be the best rig for a dedicated Minimserver system? If not a 'best' then what is your preferred? Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2016, 23:46 (This post was last modified: 02-04-2016 23:49 by DavidHB.)
RE: Starting from scratch: NAS, PC, etc???
Welcome to the forum!

MinimServer can run effectively on pretty much all the options you mention, so it isn't the limiting factor. The real limiting factor is the network itself. If you look at a representative selection of troubleshooting requests on this and other forums, you will find that network issues predominate.

For simplicity and reliability, with bit rates at CD quality and above, you really need wired (Ethernet) connections at least between the server and the player/renderer (a control point will work happily on a tablet, and so on wi-fi). I'd suggest that getting your network (wired and wireless) set up with connections at the appropriate locations for all the devices is the first priority if you haven't done that already.

As regards the server, you want a device that will function almost invisibly and doesn't need all the care and feeding you'd associate with a computer. A Raspberry Pi can be configured to do that job very satisfactorily, albeit with only a USB connection to the storage. As you are prepared to contemplate buying a NAS, I suspect, however, that you will find that this is the least troublesome solution.

Others may disagree, but I don't really think that RAID adds all that much to a NAS intended primarily as a music server (even though my own NAS is RAID-equipped). With RAID there is a degree of redundancy and an inbuilt capability for disaster recovery, but it can never replace the need for proper backups. You will need to make sure that you keep at least two (preferably identical) copies of your music library, and ideally a third offsite copy as well. With backup organised as part of your music workflow, you can certainly consider a single drive NAS as one of your options. But do make sure that you buy a drive or drives specified for NAS use, such as the WD Red models.

Your choice of NAS can be from any of the ranges supported by MinimServer; it is worth considering some of the QNAP models as an alternative to the Synology. If you need to keep the server in the room in which you listen, the QNAP HS251+ fanless NAS may be of interest, especially if the budget can run to a reasonably large SSD to put in it; the server will then be totally silent.

I hope these thoughts help. There is probably no one device that is 'best' for MinimServer, as so much depends on the needs of (and constraints faced by) individual users. But if your preferred option is supported by MinimServer, you can choose it with confidence.

David
04-04-2016, 18:26
RE: Starting from scratch: NAS, PC, etc???
I would like to add my two cents to the backup solution:

My prefered solution would be:
* One NAS with only one hard disc (or if you need more space more discs, but not mirrored) as your working NAS.
* Another NAS as your backup NAS. This could be made safer by chosing redundancy with mirrored hard discs.
* Backup the working NAS to the backup NAS including some months/years of history. So if a file has got damaged or deleted and you did not notice it, you could go back in history for an old backup and restore the files.
* Also the backup NAS should not be accessable by your PC via shared directories. Otherwise a computer virus like Locky (or a human mistake) could destroy all your backup files.