Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer Crash java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0
27-03-2016, 10:21
MinimServer Crash java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0
Hello

Since three days MinimServer has crashed at least 10 times.

MinimWatch displayed this error message:
exception while processing action request: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0

Here are two crash logs:

.log  minimserver-crash-20160327-103126.log (Size: 7.84 KB / Downloads: 6)

.log  minimserver-crash-20160327-103225.log (Size: 6.7 KB / Downloads: 2)

Sometimes it was possible to restart MinimServer through MinimWatch. Sometimes I had to log in to my synology. MinimServer package was stopped. Sometimes I had to start it two times. First time the start failed.

Maybe the problem is somehow related to updates (MinimServer and Java) which I did few days ago?

Actually I run these packages:
Synology DSM 6.0-7321
MinimServer 0.8.3.4
Java SE Embedded 8 (ejdk-8u77-linux-arm-sflt.tar)

Does someone has an idea how to get back to a stable system???
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2016, 18:59
RE: MinimServer Crash java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0
This seems likely to be a Java issue. If you revert to the previous version of Java, does the problem go away?
09-04-2016, 13:48
Hello Simon
Since I didn't knew where to get an old version of the "Java SE Embedded 8" package I changed to the "Java8" v8.0.60-0010 package, published from Synology itself. This seems to be based on an older/other version of Java and is working since a week.
Thanks for your hint.
Manuel
09-04-2016, 15:52
(09-04-2016 13:48)montelupo Wrote:  Hello Simon
Since I didn't knew where to get an old version of the "Java SE Embedded 8" package I changed to the "Java8" v8.0.60-0010 package, published from Synology itself. This seems to be based on an older/other version of Java and is working since a week.
Thanks for your hint.
Manuel

Thanks for letting me know.

What type of NAS do you have? Is this the Java8 package from the Synology Package Center? If so, did you upgrade this by downloading and installing Oracle Java?
11-04-2016, 21:02
[/quote]
What type of NAS do you have? Is this the Java8 package from the Synology Package Center? If so, did you upgrade this by downloading and installing Oracle Java?
[/quote]

It's a Synology DS214+.
Yes, it's the "Java8" package from Synology. I'm using this package for the first time. So it wasn't an upgrade, it's a first time installation. As far as I remember I didn't had to download the java itself from Oracle. It was installed automatically by the "Java8" package.
11-04-2016, 22:06
(11-04-2016 21:02)montelupo Wrote:  It's a Synology DS214+.
Yes, it's the "Java8" package from Synology. I'm using this package for the first time. So it wasn't an upgrade, it's a first time installation. As far as I remember I didn't had to download the java itself from Oracle. It was installed automatically by the "Java8" package.

Thanks for this information. I think you are now using OpenJDK 8u60 which is an older version than the Java SE Embedded 8u77 version that was causing the problem with the Java exception.

Although this seems to be a workaround for the previous problem you were having, there is a serious performance issue with this version of Java because OpenJDK runs 5 times slower than Oracle Java on your model of NAS. The current version of MinimServer (update 80) checks for this and won't run if OpenJDK is installed instead of Oracle Java.
30-04-2016, 16:03
There is now version 8u91 available from Patters. I installed that one and hoped MinimServer would work, but it doesn't. Same error as with 8u77 (java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0).
Since you advise to not use the Synology Java package, what can I try to make MinimServer running again on the Synology???
30-04-2016, 19:26
(30-04-2016 16:03)montelupo Wrote:  There is now version 8u91 available from Patters. I installed that one and hoped MinimServer would work, but it doesn't. Same error as with 8u77 (java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0).
Since you advise to not use the Synology Java package, what can I try to make MinimServer running again on the Synology???

I have not advised not to use the Synology Java package. On an ARMv7 NAS, you should install the Synology Java8 package and perform an upgrade to Oracle Java. This is described in detail in this section.

If you do this, you will be using Oracle Java SE instead of Oracle Java SE Embedded. I think all the reports I have had about this problem have been with Java SE Embedded.

Please try this and let me know if it solves the problem.
08-05-2016, 22:19
Thank you for the clear explications, Simon.
Now that I did the upgrade from Synology Java 8 package to Oracle Jave, MinimServer works perfect again!
Great!
09-05-2016, 08:33
(08-05-2016 22:19)montelupo Wrote:  Thank you for the clear explications, Simon.
Now that I did the upgrade from Synology Java 8 package to Oracle Jave, MinimServer works perfect again!
Great!

Thanks for letting me know. This confirms that the problem is related to Java SE Embedded (as used by the Java package from patters) and doesn't occur when using Java SE (as used by the Synology Java8 package).